RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Toyota Techstream!

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-13, 03:05 AM
Z07
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hypervish
No money needed, but If I do buy it I will attempt to do that and let you know.

But as Salim said ask the dealer, if they say it's possible then you can likely do it with this program/cable.
Then pick your favorite apolitical charity. My offer stands

I wish you, and by extension me, great success!!!
Old 12-11-13, 07:55 AM
salimshah

Received 994 Likes on 898 Posts

Originally Posted by Z07
I have. Their solution is a new ECM and two keys cut and programmed by them. If Lexus picks up the cost of the ECM then it is $650 if not then well over $2,000. I spoke to the guy on the phone about other things too. Based upon that conversation and the fact that there are third parties offering ECM flash service, I do not respect the opinion of my local Lexus service writer as the final word on anything. In looking at the service history of my wife's RX I saw they replaced a taillight bulb. When I was in the same area replacing the antenna mast, I found one of their screwdrivers and the broken end of a magnetic retrieval tool. I also found two of the plastic trim clips were damaged. Based upon finding that, I don't trust them to change a light bulb either.

YMMV
This matches my earlier understanding that with the valet key, you can not generate a master key. There was a set of posts by a member that it can be done. I will try to look for it and if you find it, I suggest PM the member to find out the dealership that was able to do it.

I am glad the dealership does not do re-flashing of the ecu. They should be an expert in mechanical and car related electrical [not electronics] stuff. They certainly botched the bulb replacement.

Please do not think that I am defending the Lexus dealership(s) [there are no special benefits that I get from Lexus]. They are just a business and there are good and there are bad ones. Within a dealership, there are good and bad technicians and service writers. You certainly will not get the top or mediocre technician to replace a light bulb. While under warranty, I did not go to Lexus for minor stuff. I switched service writers till I found one who understood my concerns.

I suggest that you do the same and if you have more than one dealership, try the other.

Salim
Old 12-12-13, 05:41 AM
kalali
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry if this is obvious but which key is considered valet vs. master? Our car did not come with the remote key and we use the key to open doors, etc. Is that considered a valet key? I guess my bottom line question is there an inexpensive way to get a keyless "key"? I remember the dealer wanted ~$250. Sorry about going off a tangent.
Old 12-12-13, 07:14 PM
salimshah

Found it

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...r-the-suv.html

Looks like the dealership is in my neck of the woods.

Sorry Hyper ... I will move the key related posts out there in a day or two and leave this thread for techstream

Salim
Old 12-13-13, 06:00 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by salimshah
Found it

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...r-the-suv.html

Looks like the dealership is in my neck of the woods.

Sorry Hyper ... I will move the key related posts out there in a day or two and leave this thread for techstream

Salim
No problem Salim!
Old 12-18-13, 04:15 AM
MovieStar
Driver School Candidate

Unhappy

Any one buy one of these off of Amazon? Amazon.com: Fotga Newest V8.00.034 MINI VCI for TOYOTA TIS Techstream Diagnostic Cable & Software: Car Electronics

Look's like it will work on our RX300's considering it's a Toyota product.

I'm thinking about buying it, should be quite useful.

EDIT: Did a search look's like it definitely works on other Lexus' :https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...ol-ever-2.html

Should be able to change the C-Best settings with this cable, among other things.
I just purchased something similar as well as the super k+can. I was hoping this would allow me to ad keys for my 2003 Rx 300. I was only given a valet key. When trying to add/remove keys it ask for a pass-code which I guess also cost $$$. Since this was the purpose of buying the unit I have not played with it beyond that as well as checking to see if there are any codes. I purchased to master key blanks off of ebay and have to drive an hour and a half to get them cut. I am not sure how much they are going to charge to program the keys but from what I see on the web it is going to be a couple hundred bucks
Old 12-18-13, 05:42 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by MovieStar
I just purchased something similar as well as the super k+can. I was hoping this would allow me to ad keys for my 2003 Rx 300. I was only given a valet key. When trying to add/remove keys it ask for a pass-code which I guess also cost $$$. Since this was the purpose of buying the unit I have not played with it beyond that as well as checking to see if there are any codes. I purchased to master key blanks off of ebay and have to drive an hour and a half to get them cut. I am not sure how much they are going to charge to program the keys but from what I see on the web it is going to be a couple hundred bucks
Does the unit you bought allow you to change the C-Best settings? That's pretty much the only reason I'm thinking about buying this.

Are you taking it to the dealership to get the keys cut and programmed? I'd call them first and make sure they can program a master key off of a valet key. There is lot's of different information floating around. You many need the ECU re-flashed, or the dealership knows a way to program with the valet key.
Old 12-18-13, 11:37 AM
MovieStar
Driver School Candidate

Does the unit you bought allow you to change the C-Best settings? That's pretty much the only reason I'm thinking about buying this.

Are you taking it to the dealership to get the keys cut and programmed? I'd call them first and make sure they can program a master key off of a valet key. There is lot's of different information floating around. You many need the ECU re-flashed, or the dealership knows a way to program with the valet key.
I have not checked the c-best setting yet. The only place that I've found in the general area is a locksmith. I explained my situation to him and he claims he can reset but I am not so sure LOL. I have tried everything that I have read here on cl and nothing has worked. I have seen some OBD the market that make claims they can reset most all cars but the price tags are over 800.00. I will check out the c-best settings and keep you posted.
Old 12-18-13, 12:23 PM
salimshah

I was planning to move the post regarding the duplication to the other thread, and was hoping we would get some update from Z07. Z07, please post after contacting Lexus of Austin. Since we are still using key duplication to verify the Techstream capability, so lets leave this discussion here (for some more time).

Salim
Old 12-18-13, 05:12 PM
MovieStar
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by salimshah
I was planning to move the post regarding the duplication to the other thread, and was hoping we would get some update from Z07. Z07, please post after contacting Lexus of Austin. Since we are still using key duplication to verify the Techstream capability, so lets leave this discussion here (for some more time).

Salim
I am sorry if the thread was taken over. I just responded that I did buy the unit and the reason why?
Old 12-18-13, 05:23 PM
MovieStar
Driver School Candidate

I have not checked the c-best setting yet. The only place that I've found in the general area is a locksmith. I explained my situation to him and he claims he can reset but I am not so sure LOL. I have tried everything that I have read here on cl and nothing has worked. I have seen some OBD the market that make claims they can reset most all cars but the price tags are over 800.00. I will check out the c-best settings and keep you posted.
I played with it for another short while (to cold out LOL) I saw nothing where you could change anything but thats not saying much since there is no manual. Over all I am a little disappointed with the purchase. As far as a reader it is just that
Old 12-18-13, 05:30 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

I played with it for another short while (to cold out LOL) I saw nothing where you could change anything but thats not saying much since there is no manual. Over all I am a little disappointed with the purchase. As far as a reader it is just that
That stinks.

It may not be labeled as C-Best though, in a video i saw regarding how to use tech stream I saw it mentioned as "Customize Setting" on the left pane of the program.

Thank you for checking, saved me $27!

See if you can return it.

If I can't change the C-Best settings with this then there is no point in buying it. Because from what I understand it's slow to refresh live data so that wouldn't be very useful. However, I would rather buy something like the ELM327 wifi (for iPhone) and use that as it would be much quicker at refreshing data than this knock off cable.
Old 12-18-13, 08:05 PM
MovieStar
Driver School Candidate

There was a few areas that had customize..... I will check that out next
Old 12-18-13, 08:46 PM
salimshah

I am sorry if the thread was taken over. I just responded that I did buy the unit and the reason why?
You are posting in the right thread ... I have moved the key programming part to a more appropriate thread.

Salim
Old 04-04-14, 10:05 PM
losrx
Driver School Candidate

Default mini vci does work for techstream

The cloned mongoose cable and toyota tech stream software does work if you can download the original toyota techstream software and get the mongoose drivers to work with the cloned versions. Check other toyota forums its already been done.