RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Automatically locked out?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-03, 10:04 AM
Chuckieb
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Automatically locked out?

My wife (who is never! wrong ) said she pulled into the gas station the other day, got out of our 2000 RX, put the keys in her pocket, filled the tank and then went inside to pay. When she came back to the vehicle the doors were locked. She did not lock the vehicle, she insists the doors locked automatically. She also thinks this has happened one other time when she walked away form the vehicle purposly not locking it, only to come back a few minutes later to find the doors locked. Our service advisor (whom I respect) says this is impossible, but I see there are c-best settings for the automatic activation of the security system 30 seconds after the key is removed and the doors are closed. If the security system is automatically activated, would you not assume it would lock the doors? Or is the service advisor correct? And how do I break the news to my wife that she is wrong?
Old 01-24-03, 11:45 AM
Goncookoo

I hate to say your wife is wrong, but the doors do automatically lock.

I havent tested it extensively but it auto locks on a delay if you stop engine and get out and then close the doors, once.

By 'once' I mean the following (this is where im not completely sure). I "think", for instance, if you forget something and then go and re-open the doors again after closing your doors the first time, the auto lock wont engage anymore???

I didnt have the patience to sit there and try but I know a few times its failed to locked on me because I did what I described above (stop car, get out of car, close door, open door again to get stuff out, then close door again). Thats why I always use the key to lock my car regardless if the RX locks itself.

Also if you leave the keys in the ignition with the car turned off it wont auto lock. I know this for a fact because my dealer always has me leave my keys in the car when I drop it off at the dealer for service.

HTH
Old 01-24-03, 02:23 PM
salimshah

Received 996 Likes on 900 Posts

If you "UNLOCK" by remote and do not open any door, the RX will lock it self up. The time dealy is typically 20 secs. So your wife is technically correct.

If you touch the "door lock" switch on the driver/front_passenger side with any door open, the RX will lock all doors (even when the open door is closed shut it will lock). Instead of "door lock" button on the door handle, if you use the remote "lock", you get the reminder beep that a door is ajar and RX did not lock up.

The above are factory default settings.

Salim
Old 01-24-03, 03:21 PM
HarrierRX300
Lead Lap

Just like Salimshah,
I was waxing my car and it suddenly locked. I thought there was an exterior proximity or something because I broke the invisble beam. But the doors do lock by itself.
Old 01-24-03, 04:19 PM
kschwenk
Driver School Candidate

Sometimes when I put the keys in my pocket the lock button gets hit buy the other keys.
Old 01-25-03, 07:31 AM
ederny
Pole Position

Question Breaking the news...

Ok, I agree with the vehicle relocking after 20-30 sec of unlocking it with the remote if no door is opened. And I agree with the possibility of accidentally hitting the lock button on the remote when put in a pocketbook. But just locking by itself? I don’t think so!

Now I'm getting paranoid! I put the RX in the garage every night and have never come back the next day to find it locked (one door opened once or reopened)!

I don't see anything in CBEST that turns auto locking on or off! Am I missing something? Would appreciate being straightened out on this one.

CBEST locking parameters:

Wireless Door Lock Remote Control Wireless operation Yes* / No
Door ajar warning beeper Yes* / No
Automatic Lock operation 30s* / 60s
All door unlock (one press) On / Off*
All door unlock (2 presses) On* / Off
Panic Alert Operation On* / Off

Door Lock Control (Key)
All door unlock (key turn 1x) On / Off*
All door unlock (key turn 2x) On* / Off
Old 01-26-03, 10:15 AM
parula
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can confirm that my '99 never locked itself that I am aware of. Never once have gone to get into the car in the morning and found it locked in the garage (except when we locked it intentionally when we were having intermittent trouble with the transponder which would not recognize the remote key codes, so watch for that problem if you have a '99).

I even asked LX if we could have the car set to autolock after the ignition is activated and they said that was not possible. I suspeect they don't want a lot of 800 service calls! If anyone can set this let me know.

I tried a couple sequences of touching (do you mean setting to lock) the door switch and then unlocking the driver door with the manual button, and closing the door/removing the key and it did not lock.

If anyone can produce the sequence that autolocks the car after leaving the car please post it.

I also wonder if LX produced different versions of this feature, we may be wasting our time.

Ederny, how did you find the CBEST settings, in a manual?
Old 01-26-03, 04:53 PM
ederny
Pole Position

Default All the CBEST details can be found in...

...the FAQ threat of this (RX) forum.

Last edited by ederny; 02-04-03 at 04:30 PM.
Old 01-26-03, 05:15 PM
Lizard123
Driver School Candidate

Here is my experience. We have 2 RX, 1 LX, 1 IS. Both RX are 99. LX is also a 99 and IS is 02. Occasionally, when we unlock or lock the other Lexus, the 99 RX tends to lock the doors by itself (never unlock, only lock). Not all the time, but I have experienced this many times. I guess there must be some sort of auto lock feature if the remote frequency from other vehicle(s) is/are very similar to your car.
Old 01-27-03, 03:22 AM
salimshah

Received 996 Likes on 900 Posts

Originally posted by parula
I can confirm that my '99 never locked itself that I am aware of. Never once have gone to get into the car in the morning and found it locked in the garage (except when we locked it intentionally when we were having intermittent trouble with the transponder which would not recognize the remote key codes, so watch for that problem if you have a '99).

I even asked LX if we could have the car set to autolock after the ignition is activated and they said that was not possible. I suspeect they don't want a lot of 800 service calls! If anyone can set this let me know.

I tried a couple sequences of touching (do you mean setting to lock) the door switch and then unlocking the driver door with the manual button, and closing the door/removing the key and it did not lock.

If anyone can produce the sequence that autolocks the car after leaving the car please post it.

I also wonder if LX produced different versions of this feature, we may be wasting our time.

Ederny, how did you find the CBEST settings, in a manual?
when I stated touch, I meant the door electronic lock button. Do that with any or all doors (inc hatch) ajar, and when you close the door/hatch shut, the door/hatch will NOT unlock. [Contrast this with the situation when you use the remote lock button with any door open, the RX gives out extended beep with NO lock.]

Salim
Old 01-27-03, 11:02 AM
Chuckieb
Driver School Candidate

Her problem was getting out of the vehicle, putting the keys in her pocket, pumping gas, and then discovering the doors were locked. Normally she would have dropped the keys in her purse, which would have meant she was lockd out, thus the concern. She claims she didn't hit the lock button on the door or on the key.

However, it sounds like she may have been mistaken.

ederny, what about this setting on c-best?
Security ON/OFF of automatic activation of the security system 30 seconds after key is removed from ignition and doors are closed.

Wouldn't you assume if the security system turned itself on, that it would lock the doors?
Old 01-27-03, 02:03 PM
ederny
Pole Position

Default Security ON/OFF of automatic activation - YES...

Automatic lock activation - No!

From what I read and experienced, The security system does activate (with red LED flashing on dash). Never seen the doors lock.

Comes to mind, your wife experiencing an assault by the "lock gremlin" at a gas station, sounds more like the post by Lizard a couple of msgs prior to this. It seems plausible that there was someone near by with a similar frequency/code remote using it to lock/unlock a vehicle. Come to think of it, if I were designing a wireless entry system, I would have the system lock itself if any close code was received just as a precaution of someone trying to break in with a scanning transmitter/ code generator, etc.

So, your wife could have experienced it just the way she first explained it to you.

Anyway, here is the text from CBEST as listed in the attachment in the FAQs for the item you mentioned:

ON/OFF of automatic activation of the security system 30 seconds after key is removed from ignition and doors are dosed. Upon reentry driver has 15 seconds to:
1) insert key into the ignition front door or trunk
2) use transmitter to open vehicle
Old 01-28-03, 10:33 AM
Chuckieb
Driver School Candidate

Thanks a lot for this guys! At least now I have some documentation when I explain to my wife why she is wrong.

Wish me luck!
Old 01-28-03, 01:17 PM
meZoom!
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

wait guys,
if you get out of the car with your keys in your pocket like chuckieb's wife, your car SHOULD NOT lock itself. think if you DIDN'T have your keys in your pocket, but instead, in your car...then what? makes little sense.
someone else having a similar key frequency seems little plausible to me too, for some reason i am leaning more towards your wife accidentally and inadvertently pressing the buttons. I do that on my ES sometimes but i guess w/ RX keys that is less possible...me dunno sorry
Old 02-01-03, 09:51 AM
ederny
Pole Position

Exclamation Passive alarm vs. Active alarm

Chuck,

Perhaps we should consider the following. Apperaently my RX is set to passive alarm off, but your's might be set to passive mode on! From the shop manual:

PASSIVE MODE

Setting (Arming) Anti-Theft System
The system will automatically set 30 seconds after following methods are performed:

* Remove ignition key from ignition switch.
* Exit vehicle, and close all doors.

After performing these methods, anti-theft indicator on left
side of instrument panel will light continuously for about 30 seconds.
After 30 seconds, anti-theft indicator will blink once per second.
When system is set:, doors cannot be locked or unlocked using door lock
control switch.

PRQGRAMMDNG

PASSIVE MODE

NOTE: Initial mode is passive mode off. If there is a different signal in middle of programming, signal is invalid.

Programming Passive Mode Off:

Remove ignition key from ignition key cylinder. Ensure all
doors (including back door) and engine hood are closed and unlocked.
Perform all of following methods within 30 seconds:

* Lock or unlock any door with key or remote keyless entry
systern.
* Open driver door.
* lock and unlock driver door lock **** 3 times.

After performing method listed above, system should start
force lock after 2 seconds. Perform all of following methods within 20
seconds:

* Unlock driver door lock ****.
* Close and open driver door 2 times.
* Lock and unlock driver door lock ****.

force lock after 2 seconds. Passive mode should now be off.

Programning Passive Mode On:

Remove ignition key from key cylinder. Ensure all doors,
engine hood and luggage compartment door are closed and unlocked.
Perform all of following methods within 30 seconds:

* Lock or unlock any door with key or remote keyless entry
system.
* Open driver door.
* Lock and unlock driver door lock **** 3 times.

force lock after 2 seconds. Perform all of following methods within 20
seconds:

* Unlock driver door lock ****.
* Close and open driver door 4 times.
* Lock and unlock driver door lock ****.

force lock after 2 seconds. Passive mode should now be on.

Quick Reply: Automatically locked out?