RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Gas Grade 87 89 or 92 in 2000 AWD?

Old 11-28-13, 09:31 AM
salimshah

Received 991 Likes on 896 Posts

Originally Posted by maxSteel
Is this one of those religious war things?
Snip
Having a different point of view is just fine and a healthy discussion is always enlightening and educational. Once it gets into a winning/loosing a debate, it becomes a spectacle. [this includes religion, politics, oil, gas etc]

SO

When it gets down to, telling what others should do, it crosses the line.

Sorry to repeat ... state your reasons for your choice and let the others decide for themselves.

Note: The reason this thread is still open is that we have not reached the threshold. My post was/is a fair warning.

Salim
Old 12-02-13, 11:53 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by kalali
It cuts the grass twice as fast....
funny right? No, it doesn't.
Old 12-02-13, 11:55 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by maxSteel
Is this one of those religious war things?

I'm always willing to learn. I didn't know anything about the knock sensors. When my car started knocking recently I thought I was getting bad gas. Then I got the CEL. I also hadn't noticed until then what the manual says about using regular and possible performance loss.

The FTC said in most cases there is no benefit:
http://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles...ctane-gasoline.

Exxon says the same thing:
http://www.exxon.com/usa-english/gfm...y_gas_faq.aspx

California energy center too (they quote the american petroleum institute)
http://www.consumerenergycenter.org/...s_premium.html

This article from the Economist is kind of schizophrenic:
http://www.economist.com/blogs/babba...octane-ratings
The author still feels he should use a higher grade, even though the article ends with: "As for those who earnestly believe (and quite a few do) that filling the family Toyota with premium will somehow make it go faster or deliver more miles to the gallon, all one can say is don’t bother. As one wit noted, the only thing it will make run faster is money from your pocket."

I did find some information that indicated two-stroke engines might benefit from it. And other information that said it could damage them.

In the end it might be best to follow the most common advice from all the articles: Use what the manufacturer recommends.

Correct, and they recommend Premium....
Old 12-06-13, 02:31 PM
BlueCrabby
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default mechanics(deaelership and independent) telling me to use premium gas... why?

I sometimes get my RX300 serviced at the dealership and sometimes at an independent shop.
(the dealer frequently have Mobil 1 oil/filter changes for only $19+tax, which is cheaper than
what I pay for Mobil 1 oil alone, plus it comes with a free car wash and vacuum... good for
both Lexus and Toyota vehicles, since the dealership sells both)

Anyway.... I'm confused as to why the mechanics at BOTH places always tell me to use
premium gas. When asked, they just said "it's better for this type of engine in the RX300"
with not other explanation. At the dealership, the "recommend owner to use premium gas"
is always printed on the invoice when I take the Lexus in. On my other car, a Toyota Camry
of the same model year with a similar V6 engine, they both said do NOT use premium gas
unless I like throwing money down the toilet.(again, words from the mechanics at BOTH the
dealership and the indy mechanic)

Can anybody tell me if they are right or wrong?
Old 12-06-13, 02:49 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

In short, they are right!

If you do a search you will find an overwhelming amount of information on this. You will also find there is no definite answer, it's up to the owner what they want to use.

The reason why they recommend premium for the RX and not for the Camry even though it uses the same engine is because of the way they are tuned.
Old 12-06-13, 03:33 PM
manianac
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is mostly due to how the vehicles are tuned. The Lexus variant of the 1MZ motor has slightly more advanced timing, and if I recall correctly is recommended to use at least 89 octane fuel. The Toyota variant is tuned for 87 octane, so a higher octane is of no benefit.
Old 12-08-13, 07:08 AM
Jaxix
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,
I have tested this on my 2001 awd, running 5 tanks of 95 averaged 21.3 UK mpg, using 99 got 23.7 mpg.
This was taken by litres per miles not by onboard computer, but the biggest difference in UK premium is the extra detergents added.
Oh and just to cheer you up some more we pay $10 + per gallon !
Old 12-12-13, 08:06 PM
KRSNA
Driver School Candidate

I like using 91-93 (preferably non-ethanol) when I can... and the non-ethanol stuff cost a dollar or so more ($4.09 ATM) per gallon, compared to what I'd pay for the 87 with 10% ethanol stuff I find at BP and Shell (which I buy when strapped for cash). But that's just me.
Old 12-14-13, 07:08 PM
ATLs460
Pit Crew

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I wish I could find non ethanol gas
Old 12-14-13, 07:12 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Erics99RX
I wish I could find non ethanol gas
http://pure-gas.org
Old 12-15-13, 05:39 AM
fastnoypi
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 71 Posts

what i'd really like to do is get one of those techstream cables and log any amount of timing pulled with the lower octane grades under normal driving.
I'm guessing at the moment very little to none but thats just my inaccurate butt-dyno talking until we see some data.
Under hard driving, i would expect much more timing pulled unless minimum 91 octane is used.
Old 12-15-13, 06:19 AM
kalali
Pole Position

Originally Posted by hypervish
Interesting. Our Sate of New Jersey is not even listed...Go figure...
Old 12-16-13, 07:59 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 159 Likes on 136 Posts

I use 93 an I can tell you that with my modifications and if I run 87, the vehicle will not have that great performance, you step on the accelerator with 87 and you will go nowhere, 93 and the vehicle comes alive. However, on a stock RX300 like that of my neighbor, both and they noticed not much performance difference whatsoever. At high altitude, that's a different story with 87 octane being fine to run (due to some chemistry/physics laws), but I ran 92 octane (highest available in Mexico) due to sulfur/quality level differences when I lived in Mexico City.
Old 12-16-13, 08:10 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by kalali
Interesting. Our Sate of New Jersey is not even listed...Go figure...
Because not one station sells pure gas over there.
Old 12-16-13, 08:13 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Lexmex
I use 93 an I can tell you that with my modifications and if I run 87, the vehicle will not have that great performance, you step on the accelerator with 87 and you will go nowhere, 93 and the vehicle comes alive. However, on a stock RX300 like that of my neighbor, both and they noticed not much performance difference whatsoever. At high altitude, that's a different story with 87 octane being fine to run (due to some chemistry/physics laws), but I ran 92 octane (highest available in Mexico) due to sulfur/quality level differences when I lived in Mexico City.

They are not one with their vehicle! I can really tell the difference in my 330 that I have now, and the 2001 300 I had.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Gas Grade 87 89 or 92 in 2000 AWD?