RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Another new RX owner

Old 10-31-13, 11:19 AM
AKBimmer
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm glad to hear the parking lights aren't as big a pain as they seem.

I have to fix the visor, because I'm tall, and the seats in this car are tall and don't lower very much so the sag is right in my field of vision. The vice grip trickk has worked well enough that it hangs up out of the way nor and only flops down in front of my face when I hit a speed hump too fast or find a pothole...

I'll have to check the timing cover to see if I see anything there, judgeing by the lack of maintenance on this in the past I'd be surprised if has been done. It was taken to the dealer in 2009 with 5 engine codes and a completly clooged air filter....so the second owners wern't big on maintenance as far as I can tell....

It is also doing a kind of jerk if I let off the gas and then hit the gas again quickly. It feels like a bushing or a bolt in the driveline somewhere in the back rather than a mechanical jerk. It's a similiar feel to what my M3 was doing before a diff mount bolt snapped off and the jerk turned to a clunk as the diff hit the bottom of the car on rapid acceleration. I still have to crawl under it and look.
Old 11-04-13, 11:01 AM
AKBimmer
Driver School Candidate

I was able to get rid of my steering wheel column squeek, and I now have front parking lights and side marker lights, now I have to work on the rear side marker lights....

My cluster bulbs hopefully will be in this week and then I can get all the lights going on the dash again (like the check engine light)....

Then the knock sensors,/bypass hose/wire harness and timing belt/water pump/belts etc... are next on the list.

I'll have this think back in shape shortly I hope.
Old 11-05-13, 10:00 AM
ATLs460
Pit Crew

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Nice! I just sold my 98 M3 Coupe a couple months ago.

Welcome!
Old 11-05-13, 10:26 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 159 Likes on 136 Posts

Welcome to the Club.
Old 11-05-13, 10:48 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by hypervish
Welcome to Club Lexus!

Oh boy, RX and MDX in the same garage. I hope they behave! lol

Their gonna be smackin each other when he`s not lookin.
Old 11-05-13, 01:25 PM
Z07
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AKBimmer
<snip>
Anyway I’m BMW guy. <snip> 1985 535i<snip>
IMO other than the 507, that 85 535i is the pentacle of BMW good looks.
Old 11-05-13, 11:04 PM
siamiam
Driver

welcome , glad to see you still have the bimmers
Old 11-11-13, 07:56 AM
AKBimmer
Driver School Candidate

It'nice to see someone I know here. I just sold the 535i last night. I'll miss that car even if it was a beater.

I ordered my knock sensors, wire harness, manifold gasket kit, timing belt kit, bypass hose, and a new thermostat. Now I sit and wait for a week for it all to arrive, then I will have the fun task of installing it all..

Today the RX gets snow tires. The sale of the car has enabled this to happen sooner, which is good since we finally got our first snow yesterday. I'll be testing out the AWD on the RX here in a few hours...
Old 11-11-13, 06:22 PM
tmic0723
Driver School Candidate

I also just bought a 2000 RX300 last week. 154K miles. Seems to be in great shape, and the timing belt and water pump have recently been replaced.

The passenger side window regulator may be about to go, which I wouldn't be surprised. If that's my only issue, I can live with that! Haha.
Old 11-12-13, 12:32 AM
AKBimmer
Driver School Candidate

Got the studded snow tires on today, this car is way better to drive in the snow than my M3....It has ground clearance and AWD...

My wire Harness and bypass hose came in today too, The rest of the parts have been shipped.....

I got my tires at the Lexus dealer since they could put them on today, the price was actually reasonable. They and all the other dealer order conexes of tires at the beginning of the season to cut down on shipping costs. Anyway I tried to make an appointment to have them installed at Toyota and they sent me across to Lexus which is on the other side of the service bay from Toyota. Lexus had a nicer waiting room and better coffee and fewer people on the Lexus side...
Old 11-12-13, 07:00 PM
Xtom73G
Driver

Congrats on the RX, I also have the 2000 AWD and love it. Yes, the parking lights do burn out, and if you don't want to pull the headlight housings out, (note, CLIPS on the bottom), you can scrape your arms up by by-passing the splash guards. Many trannys did fail, mine did, pricey. The a/c sounds like a known issue, the expansion valve, which I'm going to have to replace on my wife's 97 ES300, about 400 bucks labor for a 60 dollar part. There was a thread on this specific issue, I think. When my Jeep Cherokee was totalled and I got the RX, I was surprised to find that the RX did arguably better in slimmy clay mud and deep dry sand. I do security work for both major power companies here in the Phoenix area, and those heated seats are wonderful. If you have odd behavior with the driver's window and door lock sysems, note that the cable bundle between the driver's door and body is known for wire breakage, because that gets flexed the most. OK, the RX is not build as sturdy as a Jeep, but in light off road use, it's pretty good, and you can hear the radio on the highway! Poor turning radius, and BLIND SPOTS, but a great ride. Congrats! Oh! What is that white stuff on the ground? It was 91 here today.
Old 11-13-13, 07:54 AM
Jerseangel
Driver School Candidate

Red face New Owner

I recently purchased a RX 330 in Silver and I must say I'm very excited I have very little knowledge about cars but I'm finding this one is going to make me more conscious of the upkeep.
Old 11-14-13, 09:19 PM
AKBimmer
Driver School Candidate

This car is performing well in our recent snow/ice once I got some studded snow tires. The summer tires are at the end of their life and it was a bit scary with the snow, but the AWD system seems to work well, and the car seems to be predictable with what sliding I could get it to do, as winter drags on I'll get more chances to test it out.....

I only have a set of intake manifold gaskets in the mail somewhere on the way here, all the other parts I ordered are in. So pending my gaskets arriving tomorrow I'm planning on tackling the knock sensors and the timing belt this weekend.

I forgot to add I got a new valet key from the dealer for $100.00 ouch....they wanted $50.00 extra dollars to program it, I found the instructions on here and did it myself in the parking lot of the dealer. It's nice to have a key not held together by tape. Now I need to order a precut shell for the master key from E-bay so I can have two functional keys....

Last edited by AKBimmer; 11-14-13 at 09:42 PM.
Old 11-15-13, 06:14 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Nice! Keep us updated!
Old 11-15-13, 10:09 AM
AKBimmer
Driver School Candidate

I'm going to borrow a set of stud extractors, I saw a you tube video of the timing belt change and the mechanic warned the water pump stud ends can snap off, and one of his did, So I'm going to borrow the tool ahead of time just in case.

I also am borrowing a heftier air gun that can remove the crank bolt since mine is a home grade model that likely won't be able to get it off. One of my co workers is a former mechanic and has a garage full of tools from his former life....

My 6 year old son is super exited I asked my wife in ear shot of my son is there anybody you know that can help me, and my son volunteered immediatly lol We'll see how much help he really is lol, The other day he replaced the parking light bulb in my wife's MDX, my fat hand couldn't fit down there to get the bulb back in so he reached down there and locked it back in, he was thrilled he fixed it. My son loves fixing things much like I do, He'll probably be an engineer with the math skill he already has at 6....His favorite tv show is How it's Made...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Another new RX owner