RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Seat belt replacement

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-13, 11:43 AM
bobkattkg
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seat belt replacement

I've looked all through the RX First Generation forum but haven't found the following question answered. How do you remove the driver side seat belt trim? I can remove the molding but then how do you pry off the trim? I don't want to break any clips that are holding it on. I used a flat edge screwdriver, pried pretty hard but it won't snap off. Help!
Old 09-18-13, 02:27 PM
bobkattkg
Driver School Candidate

Well, I finally decided to apply what ever pressure was required to snap it off. See the picture showing the location of the retainer clips (white). I started from the bottom and once the first clip came off, the rest followed easily. Knowing the location of the retainer clips should give you the confidence to apply as much pressure as needed to snap it off.

Last edited by bobkattkg; 09-18-13 at 02:35 PM.
Old 09-24-13, 09:50 AM
ididit
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bobkattkg
Well, I finally decided to apply what ever pressure was required to snap it off. See the picture showing the location of the retainer clips (white). I started from the bottom and once the first clip came off, the rest followed easily. Knowing the location of the retainer clips should give you the confidence to apply as much pressure as needed to snap it off.
the picture is too small. would you mind to upload a bigger picture?

did you already fix your seat belt? would you mind to list all the items you changed and the procedure about how you change it. my seat belt is loose too. I am thinking about changing it too. Thanks.
Old 10-07-13, 11:30 AM
bobkattkg
Driver School Candidate

Sorry this has taken so long. Busy at work.

No, I don't have a larger picture. The white dots are the clips. Apply pressure at their approximate location. As recommended in this forum, wrap some duct tape on a flat edge screw drive so as to not scratch the trim. I had to apply a LOT of pressure to get the trim to pop off. Again I started at the bottom.

Once you have removed the trim, and BEFORE you remove the seat belt connectors from the tensioner, disconnect the negative terminal from the car battery. Wait a few minutes so all electricity is drained. Then continue with the seat belt removal.

I had a frayed seat belt so I sent it to a company that replaces the webbing.

Hope this helps.
Old 10-08-13, 11:49 AM
gazi001
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry this has taken so long. Busy at work.

No, I don't have a larger picture. The white dots are the clips. Apply pressure at their approximate location. As recommended in this forum, wrap some duct tape on a flat edge screw drive so as to not scratch the trim. I had to apply a LOT of pressure to get the trim to pop off. Again I started at the bottom.

Once you have removed the trim, and BEFORE you remove the seat belt connectors from the tensioner, disconnect the negative terminal from the car battery. Wait a few minutes so all electricity is drained. Then continue with the seat belt removal.

I had a frayed seat belt so I sent it to a company that replaces the webbing.

Hope this helps.
Hi, Where did you sent the belt to repair and how much? Thanks.
Old 10-14-13, 06:30 AM
bobkattkg
Driver School Candidate

I sent it to a company called Safety Restore. Google it to find their website. They charge $69 to replace the webbing plus $12 to ship it back. They also have more services that you can find on their website. A word of caution though. They take a LONG TIME to do the repair. Because they have the best prices, I think they are overwhelmed. The website leads you to believe 24 hour turnaround. Not so. Also, they forgot to put the button on it so I had to send it back. (The button keeps the buckle from falling all the way to the floor).

I considered www.lexuspartsonline.net but they charge $205 plus shipping. Don't know for sure, but the seat belt is NOT oem. Since I only needed the webbing replaced, I decided on Safety Restore.

Good luck!
Old 10-14-13, 04:49 PM
gazi001
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I sent it to a company called Safety Restore. Google it to find their website. They charge $69 to replace the webbing plus $12 to ship it back. They also have more services that you can find on their website. A word of caution though. They take a LONG TIME to do the repair. Because they have the best prices, I think they are overwhelmed. The website leads you to believe 24 hour turnaround. Not so. Also, they forgot to put the button on it so I had to send it back. (The button keeps the buckle from falling all the way to the floor).

I considered www.lexuspartsonline.net but they charge $205 plus shipping. Don't know for sure, but the seat belt is NOT oem. Since I only needed the webbing replaced, I decided on Safety Restore.

Good luck!
Thanks for your answer.