RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Not Nakamichi

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-03, 04:38 PM
stevec
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not Nakamichi

My '01 RX 300 has a VERY nice "Premium Sound" system but it is not the Nakamichi system. When did Lexus cancel the Nakamichi on RX 300s?
Thanks,
Steve
Old 01-15-03, 05:31 PM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Talking

Lexus "Premium Sound System" was the stock, non-upgrade system. I believe the Nakamichi system was still the upgrade in 01, with ML replacing it in 02. Newer model owners will correct me if I'm wrong..............spank me, daddy!!:eek:
Old 01-15-03, 06:20 PM
stevec
Rookie

My window sticker lists a Maximum Power Premium Audio System w/ 7 speakers and 240 watts. The 01 brochure does list the Nak upgrade but it only has 230 watts. The Nak may have been cancelled late in the model year as I was told by the dealer it wasn't available. Anyway, the Maximum Power Premium Audio System is first class, and the small tweeters on top of the dash are very cool.
Steve
Old 01-15-03, 08:32 PM
parula
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I believe the NAK was dropped for the Mark Levinson version.

I do not see the ML even listed as an option in an '03 RX brochure but I might have missed it. I have to wonder if it would be worth the expense anyway as my '03 RX has a LOT of front windshield noise over 50 mph in my opinion which would cancel the beauty of the quality of sound from such a system, I feel. Just my opinion.

Anyone have an '03 RX?
Old 01-15-03, 08:32 PM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

I've heard that there is little difference between the Nakamichi and Premium system are negligible. It was not easy to find a Nakamichi equipped RX in my area when I bought my RX; the dealer didn't order that option.

The current body-style RX runs through 2003 as will the Premium Sound and Nakamichi option stereos (with maybe the exception of the Nak on 2003's). ML will be an option for the redesigned 2004 RX330 and no sooner.

Last edited by LexRX; 01-15-03 at 08:33 PM.
Old 01-15-03, 11:33 PM
AsianGirl007
Lexus Diva

The Mark Levinson will be available as an actual option for the new RX330 model. I saw maybe 3 cars total back in 1999 that had the Nakamichi system in it. I recall it being something around a $600 option, but most people didn't want it because the Premium Lexus Factory sound system was pretty darn good all by itself.
Old 01-16-03, 09:19 AM
stevec
Rookie

It's my understanding that some Lexus dealers will be getting RX 330 "prototypes" starting late this month. Intertesting move by Lexus.
Steve
Old 01-16-03, 01:09 PM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Talking

I saw maybe 3 cars total back in 1999 that had the Nakamichi system in it.
Mine (HERS) would therefore be one of the few, the proud, the Nakamichi-endowed...........

Old 01-16-03, 04:23 PM
stevec
Rookie

Yes but we have 10 more watts than you do!

How many speakers does the Nak in the RX 300 have?
Steve
Old 01-16-03, 04:34 PM
CK1_RX3
Lead Lap

You couldn't get it anymore in '01... the sound quality and power of the Lexus base system surpassed that of the Nak system, and the Nak actually would have been a more expensive "downgrade."

The Levinson was indeed brought in as Nak's successor the the "upgrade" Lexus soundsystem thrown, and for good reason. The Levinson systems are truly amazing as far as sound quality goes... as for power, you can do better, but you'd be hard pressed to compete with the sound quality of the Levinson. So in other words, if you listen to a lot of complex piano passages, classical music, or jazz, then you'd probably want the upgraded Levinson sound system. If you listen to a lot of rock/rap/techno/etc. you'd want an aftermarket upgrade instead... Otherwise the stock system far surpasses most peoples' expectations as far as car stereos go.

So to answer the question in a roundabout way, the last year the Nak was truly available on the RX was '00, with EXTREMELY limited if any avaialbility on earlier '01 production models.
Old 01-16-03, 05:52 PM
stevec
Rookie

OK, that makes sense based on my experience. Unfortunately, my Lexus salesman didn't know the history and all I remember getting from him was that they didn't offer the Nak anymore.
Thanks CK1...
Steve
Old 01-16-03, 08:38 PM
satxrx
Driver

Originally posted by mooretorque

Mine (HERS) would therefore be one of the few, the proud, the Nakamichi-endowed...........

Count me in, too, as one of them rare Nak owners.

Having the luxury of owning two RX's with the Premie in one and the Nak in the other, I'd have to say I enjoy the sound quality in the Nak much better. Especially CDs. The bass and overall sound is suhwwweeeeet.

Don't knock the Nak, baby...
Old 01-17-03, 09:16 AM
parula
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have noticed an improvement in the Premium system from the '99 to a new '03 RX. I noticed this right away when we put in a couple CDs and heard sounds much more clearly. Speaker arrangement looks the same but of course I don't know if they really made any improvements but it certainly has a more clearly defined sound.
Old 01-17-03, 09:35 AM
Chuckieb
Driver School Candidate

Our newly-purchased 2000 has the Nakamichi, and I love it! only problen is changed CD's on the road!

We looked at a couple of RX's before we bought ours - they all had the Nak. Could be that's the way they were all configured in Canada, since the Canadian vehicles are packed differently from the USA - more stuff is standard here, like all sold in Canada are AWD w/leather, some stuff not available at all (like nav, HID, etc!!!). This is based on the Lexus canada web site.
Old 01-17-03, 10:42 AM
CDN_Lexus
Pole Position

That is correct, 2001 was the last year that the Nakamichi audio system was offered as an option. Although there is a negligable difference in the power output, the depth range of sound is superior with the Nakamichi system. (quantity vs quality). The stock sound system is manufactured by Pioneer. The number of speakers in both systems is the same, seven. The optional Mark Levinson audio on the RX330 will have eleven speakers. I can't wait to here it.

Quick Reply: Not Nakamichi