RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Squealing noise when I turn on the AC like a loose belt

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-13, 07:22 PM
jmille55
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Squealing noise when I turn on the AC like a loose belt

What is the cause of the squealing noise when I turn on my AC?
It's stops as soon as I turn off the AC.
Old 08-29-13, 07:57 PM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

loose/worn accessory belt.

Salim
Old 09-03-13, 10:52 PM
ididit
Driver School Candidate

I can hear the squealing noise when I turn on my AC too. But the noise will fade out very soon. are they the same problem? what should I replace? Thanks.
Old 09-04-13, 09:38 AM
salimshah

Same thing ,,, the slipping cause quick temperature rise of the belt and that increases the stickyness. People have posted ways how to check tension .. but I trust a belt tension gauge. If has been 3+ years (45k miles) it may be time to replace the belt.

Salim
Old 09-06-13, 07:59 AM
ididit
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by salimshah
Same thing ,,, the slipping cause quick temperature rise of the belt and that increases the stickyness. People have posted ways how to check tension .. but I trust a belt tension gauge. If has been 3+ years (45k miles) it may be time to replace the belt.

Salim
what belt are you referring to? timing belt or something else? can we do DIY work or we need to find a shop to do it?
Old 09-06-13, 10:33 AM
salimshah

Originally Posted by ididit
what belt are you referring to? timing belt or something else? can we do DIY work or we need to find a shop to do it?
Discussion in this thread is about the accessory belt. [Timing belt is under covers and has a hydraulic tensioner].

The accessory belt connects main-pulley, alternator and ac-compressor. You can see and touch it (on the passenger side of the engine).

The tension is adjusted by swiveling the alternator. You have to loosen the pivot bolt, lock bolt and the tensioner bolt ... ( IMPORTANT: in that order and reverse order on completion).

It can be a DIY id you have the tools.

Belt tension new 175 +/-5 lbf, after 10 minutes of use(or more) it is considered used 90 +/-20 lbf

I dont put much trust in twist test ... which has been used on old v-belts for ages and is not appropriate for the flat belts. I have a tension gauge, but other members have been using the twist test. Dealership will charge 1/2 hr labor if you want them to adjust it.

Salim
Old 09-07-13, 01:41 AM
ididit
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by salimshah
Discussion in this thread is about the accessory belt. [Timing belt is under covers and has a hydraulic tensioner].

The accessory belt connects main-pulley, alternator and ac-compressor. You can see and touch it (on the passenger side of the engine).

The tension is adjusted by swiveling the alternator. You have to loosen the pivot bolt, lock bolt and the tensioner bolt ... ( IMPORTANT: in that order and reverse order on completion).

It can be a DIY id you have the tools.

Belt tension new 175 +/-5 lbf, after 10 minutes of use(or more) it is considered used 90 +/-20 lbf

I dont put much trust in twist test ... which has been used on old v-belts for ages and is not appropriate for the flat belts. I have a tension gauge, but other members have been using the twist test. Dealership will charge 1/2 hr labor if you want them to adjust it.

Salim
Thanks. I found a DIY thread in the "list of RX300 DIYs" about AC alternator belt adjustment. it's really helpful too.

already order a belt tension gauge from NAPA auto parts and will try to adjust it first.

BTW, the accessory belt is the same belt the thread talk about "A/C Compressor belt"? if it is, will it be a good idea to change both "A/C Compressor belt" and "Power Steering P/S belt (vane belt)" at the same time?
Old 09-07-13, 07:35 AM
salimshah

Originally Posted by ididit
Thanks. I found a DIY thread in the "list of RX300 DIYs" about AC alternator belt adjustment. it's really helpful too.

already order a belt tension gauge from NAPA auto parts and will try to adjust it first.

BTW, the accessory belt is the same belt the thread talk about "A/C Compressor belt"? if it is, will it be a good idea to change both "A/C Compressor belt" and "Power Steering P/S belt (vane belt)" at the same time?
Yes for A/C Compressor belt.

Power steering pump belt lasts a bit longer, But it alos should be replaced. Getting the right tension on it is bit awkward as I have not discovered a way to push the pump (the pump mounting bolts supply the adjustment). I need to buy /rent a tool that expands between the two pulleys to push the pump away. If you find a convenient way to torque the pump, please post.

Salim