RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

XADO friction reducer

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-13, 07:07 PM
FilPilot
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default XADO friction reducer

Been searching the net on XADO 1, reading a lot of testimonials but they look like commercial marketing stuff, not sure if its snake oil.
This is a great forum and I was wondering if anyone has first hand experience using any of these oil additives and could share with us.

(Rdmoon) posted information on XADO in another thread back in April, I was wondering if there are any updates.
Old 08-02-13, 10:36 PM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

What problem are you trying to solve?

If you dont have a problem, I would say, stay away from additives.

Salim
Old 08-02-13, 11:22 PM
FilPilot
Driver School Candidate

salim

Not so much trying to solve problem but just trying to extend what I have. I have been reading this forum for a while and put to use some of the great advise. Like 6 quart flush for the transmission, synthetic M1 oil, NAPA/Gold 1516 filter.

I would like to see if the transmission shifting can be improved by adding an additive.
I also have a AWD Highlander with noisy drive train (not whining) when at highway speeds. was considering additive in the transfer to see if it quiets it down.
Old 08-03-13, 04:55 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

Are you talking about using this in the motor oil or transmission fluid?
Old 08-03-13, 06:59 AM
FilPilot
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Lexmex
Are you talking about using this in the motor oil or transmission fluid?
Lexmex. The product website says, they make products that work in all areas including engine, transmission, and cooling. I would like to use it were I can get the most benefit.

My 2000 RX 300 just turned 150k, all is well, but would like to keep it that way, preventative.

The link to website http://xado.us/
Old 08-03-13, 07:29 AM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

Originally Posted by FilPilot
salim

Not so much trying to solve problem but just trying to extend what I have. I have been reading this forum for a while and put to use some of the great advise. Like 6 quart flush for the transmission, synthetic M1 oil, NAPA/Gold 1516 filter.

I would like to see if the transmission shifting can be improved by adding an additive.
I also have a AWD Highlander with noisy drive train (not whining) when at highway speeds. was considering additive in the transfer to see if it quiets it down.
No! Please no flush. Drain and fill.

Salim
Old 08-03-13, 07:50 PM
FilPilot
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by salimshah
No! Please no flush. Drain and fill.

Salim

I used a siphon pump and refilled...thanks for correcting it Salim
Old 08-05-13, 06:26 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

I looked at this product many years ago, but concluded it wasn't much different from some of the other oil additives I was using like Restore.

However, for transmission the one additive that I last used going way back to 2007 was the one from Lucas. I ended up having an issue with my tranny related to an accident I had with a piece of road that hit the underside of the the tranny and never got to see the full result, but I sense from the little time I did try it that there may have been a slight improvement in shifting similar to what some of Mexican colleagues with auto transmissions experienced with there's.

For oil, I wouldn't see the harm in trying the XADO, but for transmissions, I would go with a better ATF fluid than use an additive. When I did try the Lucas additive the only Type IV fluid or equivalent I had access to in Mexico was the Toyota Type IV. At the time there was Mobil 1 ATF, but that formulation was no yet Type IV approved.
Old 08-05-13, 07:06 PM
FilPilot
Driver School Candidate

Lexmex: very interesting, have been following a youtube repair guy name Scotty Kilmer. As far as I can tell very straight forward mechanic. He also claims to use Lucas transmission additive with great results.

Now the question which one:

1. Automatic Transmission Fluid Conditioner

2. Lucas Transmission Fix

3. Lucas Oil Multi-Vehicle ATF
Old 08-06-13, 06:57 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by FilPilot
Lexmex: very interesting, have been following a youtube repair guy name Scotty Kilmer. As far as I can tell very straight forward mechanic. He also claims to use Lucas transmission additive with great results.

Now the question which one:

1. Automatic Transmission Fluid Conditioner

2. Lucas Transmission Fix

3. Lucas Oil Multi-Vehicle ATF
I don't spend much time on youtube, but I have seen the videos of Scott.

My view on this is that if you can find a superior oil, ATF or other fluid, you don't need the additives. I was saddled with the unfortunate situation in Mexico that I really didn't have access to fluids (and importation was expensive, sometimes I had the money/sometimes I didn't).

Personally, I would just move over to a better ATF fluid first. I currently used Redline D4, but Amsoil also has a good ATF along with Royal Purple.