RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

RX300 not shifting into overdrive.

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-15, 05:58 AM
Bobster999
Intermediate

Received 26 Likes on 9 Posts

[QUOTE=AnthonyMtz;8917369]
Originally Posted by Bo bster999
mine still runs great also. and i still only run unleaded gas @ 87 Oct[/QUOTE

yea for some reason his 01 with 200k miles gets 400 miles to a tank of 87 octane wile my 2002 with 175k that I always run 93 octane on can barely average 220 a tank...and I get 12 mpg no CEL Lights or nothing...still can't figure out the damn problem...I burn through gas...LITERALLY
Im getting 22 mpg hwy mileage driving about 65 mph... not great mileage but not abnormal for this vehicle. Obviously i would love to get 30 from the car but thats not gonna happen.
Old 02-18-15, 05:04 PM
AnthonyMtz
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=kalali;8917446]
Originally Posted by AnthonyMtz

Switch to regular 87 and see if it makes a difference.
I did and it got worse lol I got 11.7 ridiculous right! If I don't find a fix for it soon I will be trading it in for a vehicle when my income tax comes in for one that has at least 22 mpg it breaks my heart to do it but it just burns too much fuel...and it's 13 years old :/
Old 02-18-15, 10:33 PM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

[QUOTE=AnthonyMtz;8918460]
Originally Posted by kalali

I did and it got worse lol I got 11.7 ridiculous right! If I don't find a fix for it soon I will be trading it in for a vehicle when my income tax comes in for one that has at least 22 mpg it breaks my heart to do it but it just burns too much fuel...and it's 13 years old :/
22 is going to be hard to get from old RX. Above 65mph the mpg starts to drop. I get about 20 mpg in my recent trip on I-10 West of Houston between 65 and 70 Mph. Between 75 & 80 the average starts dropping. When you accelerate it drops to low 10. Driving on hills inside Austin, I see around 7. Commuting in Austin mpg is around 18.7 ... all this with well maintained (service up to date). Your milage may vary literally.

Ant CEL on yours? Does the CEL work during self test?

Salim
Old 02-19-15, 12:11 AM
AnthonyMtz
Pole Position

[QUOTE=salimshah;8918865]
Originally Posted by AnthonyMtz

22 is going to be hard to get from old RX. Above 65mph the mpg starts to drop. I get about 20 mpg in my recent trip on I-10 West of Houston between 65 and 70 Mph. Between 75 & 80 the average starts dropping. When you accelerate it drops to low 10. Driving on hills inside Austin, I see around 7. Commuting in Austin mpg is around 18.7 ... all this with well maintained (service up to date). Your milage may vary literally.

Ant CEL on yours? Does the CEL work during self test?

Salim
No none at all what shocked me is that my dad's same Rx with 200k gets 400 miles to a tank and I can only get half of that also what I ment to say is to trade it in to get a different brand of vehicle with more mpg
Old 03-14-15, 10:28 AM
djeddieo
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

mine wouldn't shift into overdrive with the CEL on so I searched and found this thread. code indicated misfire and research seemed to point to coil replacement. until I could find the time to get to my mechanic I would shut of the CEL with my scan tool and - voila! - OD was back!

PS: mechanic replaced spark plugs, and light came back on by day's end. then, instead of replacing all the coils, he switched a couple of them around until he found the likely culprit, then changed just that one. only $130 parts and labor. I love that the guy spends my money just like it was his!
Old 03-21-16, 06:13 AM
Luisjr21
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No it wont i just replaced mine and still the same knock sensor on
Old 08-14-16, 07:38 AM
trbolvr
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Bobster999
I certainly know what a knock sensor is for.
Let me try and explain myself better since you didnt pick up what i meant.
By losing one bank sensor, the PCM now removes the Overdrive, which cause the vehicle to ref even higher rpms. How is that helpful?
How about if the radiator developes a pin hole, lets add a breakaway valve so all of the fluid will spill out faster.
Or if the fuel gets low, lets make the windows inop.
I dont care what their reason was, you cant convince me its rational and in the best interest of the consumer.
By removing OD the load on the engine is decreased and the chance of ping/det is also decreased.
The engine is most prone to ping/det under heavy load and low RPM like when going up a hill in OD at lower speeds.
Old 01-31-17, 06:37 AM
KAguilar
Driver School Candidate

Default Not switcing gears

I have a 2000 RX300. My car has been running fine, rough idle occasionally . Yesturday it drive fine until I tried to accelerate to get on the highway. I got up to 60 but my rpm didn't go down (didn't switch to O/D) I stopped let the car run idle for a few minutes and it drove perfect all day. This morning I let it run for 20 mins to make sure it was warmed up and same thing no O/D. My check engine light is not on so I'm not sure where to start.
Old 01-31-17, 09:18 AM
salimshah

Originally Posted by KAguilar
I have a 2000 RX300. My car has been running fine, rough idle occasionally . Yesturday it drive fine until I tried to accelerate to get on the highway. I got up to 60 but my rpm didn't go down (didn't switch to O/D) I stopped let the car run idle for a few minutes and it drove perfect all day. This morning I let it run for 20 mins to make sure it was warmed up and same thing no O/D. My check engine light is not on so I'm not sure where to start.
Have you made sure that the CEL bulb is not blown?

Also it depends upon your transmission warming up ... letting the eying idle does not help transmission warming up.

Once you do get overdrive, do you loose it in subsequent start and stops.

Salim
Old 02-01-17, 12:31 PM
KAguilar
Driver School Candidate

So my bulb was blown

Turns out it was my spark plugs needed to be replaced
Old 06-29-18, 10:07 PM
CaltonB
Rookie

Originally Posted by KAguilar
So my bulb was blown

Turns out it was my spark plugs needed to be replaced
I know this is an old post but I am getting an cel with a knock sensor error as well but have similar issues as you have. I am also wondering if it is my spark plugs that need to be changed or if it is actually the knock sensors. I'd hate to pay labor for knock sensors to have my same rough idle continue and find it just needed spark plugs. Is there anyway I can differentiate? Most mechanics I've taken it to have said that my idle issues are not related to a knock sensor but could cause it to throw a knock sensor code. Also the cel keeps going away and coming back.. today is the first day that i've actually noticed it unable to shift into overdrive and subsequently my mpg has gone down from 22ish to 14.
Old 06-30-18, 06:27 AM
Lexmus
Intermediate

Received 69 Likes on 64 Posts

What is the code? How many miles on the RX overall?

Have the plugs been changed before, and if so how long ago and how many miles? Are the plugs NGK or Denso iridium plugs?
Old 06-30-18, 06:32 AM
CaltonB
Rookie

Originally Posted by Lexmus
What is the code? How many miles on the RX overall?

Have the plugs been changed before, and if so how long ago and how many miles? Are the plugs NGK or Denso iridium plugs?
The code is P0330 Knock Sensor 2 Circuit
The car has 140k and I am not sure when or if the plugs have been changed.
It is driving like it needs plugs and I am not sure if the plugs can trigger a knock sensor fault if the sensors are good.
Old 07-05-18, 08:53 AM
Dietz
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have that issue going on now with the CHECK ENGINE light and high RPM and no overdrive. The code came up P 0330 which was the KNOCK SENSOR. Can anyone tell me what they paid to have this repaired?
I called Lexus and they told me it was not cheap. I saw on line that the cost should be about $800 - $950. Can anyone confirm this? I have 308,000 miles on this car and it still runs great. I would not mind spending $500 to have it fixed, but over $1000 will be hard to accept with a 19 year old car with this many miles.
Old 07-05-18, 11:44 AM
salimshah

Originally Posted by Dietz
I have that issue going on now with the CHECK ENGINE light and high RPM and no overdrive. The code came up P 0330 which was the KNOCK SENSOR. Can anyone tell me what they paid to have this repaired?
I called Lexus and they told me it was not cheap. I saw on line that the cost should be about $800 - $950. Can anyone confirm this? I have 308,000 miles on this car and it still runs great. I would not mind spending $500 to have it fixed, but over $1000 will be hard to accept with a 19 year old car with this many miles.
Legal fix require 6-8hrs of labor and that pushes the price up.

Search for 'knock sensor' and you will find a few threads on it.

Salim

Quick Reply: RX300 not shifting into overdrive.