Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Model Forums > RX Models > RX - First Generation
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Adjust cargo roof rack bars 99 RX300

Old 07-03-13, 06:42 AM   #1
greenRX300
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)

Default Adjust cargo roof rack bars 99 RX300

I need to put one of those cargo shells on top for a trip and I need to adjust the cross bars so it will fit the mounting brackekts on the cargo shell. Thus far turning the litle ***** is not working. Any help is welcomed.

Regards, Chet
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
greenRX300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-13, 07:08 AM   #2
rxda90
Driver School Candidate

I have a 2000 RX. I had mine off recently so I could repaint the cross-bars, which had peeling paint.

Those little ***** screw into cleats that ride in the track below. If they've not been moved in a long time, dirt and crud can build up in there and they can get stuck in place. Loosen the ***** and give the assembly a rap with your hand to break the cleat loose. Even once they're broken free, they don't glide very well, and you'll need to go side to side and move the cross-bar to it's desired postion.
rxda90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-13, 08:12 AM   #3
salimshah

One of the major complaints in the early years was the wind noise due to the roof rack. The roof rack has gone through multiple changes. My service advisor set mine after some careful measurements and told me not to move them and if I do to bring them back to the same spot. He even turned the little eyes sideways to prevent any whistling sound.

They may be stuck by not being moved. You can try wd-40 or your particular carrier may be have fixed slats.

The roof rack is mostly for the looks and putting weight on it should be avoided. Also some stuff has little weight but causes lots of shear (plywood) can be dangerous too.

Salim
salimshah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-13, 08:12 AM