RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Very Noisy Alternator Belt

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-13, 07:22 PM
Mut
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay, then where exactly do I apply the WD-40? Will the WD-40 touch the pulley that moves the belt no matter where on the belt I spray? Or do I spray directly into the groove between the belt and the pulley? I'm so scared the belt will come loose because of the WD-40

Another thought... would the oil in the WD-40 corrode the belt? And, the pulleys require friction for the belt to turn, wouldn't the WD-40 reduce the friction?

Last edited by Mut; 06-24-13 at 10:13 PM.
Old 06-25-13, 12:33 AM
code58
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Mut
Okay, then where exactly do I apply the WD-40? Will the WD-40 touch the pulley that moves the belt no matter where on the belt I spray? Or do I spray directly into the groove between the belt and the pulley? I'm so scared the belt will come loose because of the WD-40

Another thought... would the oil in the WD-40 corrode the belt? And, the pulleys require friction for the belt to turn, wouldn't the WD-40 reduce the friction?
The3 answer is NO to all your questions. I have done it many times and have never experienced a problem of any kind. I am not suggesting it as a cure but rather a diagnostic tool to make SURE it's the belt. (I believe from the video that it is). Sometimes it does actually cure the problem. Remember, I said DON'T DRENCH the belt! Use the little red tube that comes with the can. The belt turns clockwise so spray it into the area where the belt comes into the bottom pulley (with engine running). That will carry it around the full track of the belt. It should instantly stop the squeak (or chirp) if it is the grooved A/C, Alt. pulley. If that doesn't stop it, try it on the V-belt on the P/S pump. There is NO danger of the belt coming off or slipping as result of using the WD40 Remember, the safest place to do this is at the bottom pulley (from under the fender well) and DON'T drench the belt! BTW- WD40 is an anti-corrosive.
(answer to question- directly into the groove between the belt and pulley)
Old 06-26-13, 10:17 PM
Mut
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by code58
The3 answer is NO to all your questions. I have done it many times and have never experienced a problem of any kind. I am not suggesting it as a cure but rather a diagnostic tool to make SURE it's the belt. (I believe from the video that it is). Sometimes it does actually cure the problem. Remember, I said DON'T DRENCH the belt! Use the little red tube that comes with the can. The belt turns clockwise so spray it into the area where the belt comes into the bottom pulley (with engine running). That will carry it around the full track of the belt. It should instantly stop the squeak (or chirp) if it is the grooved A/C, Alt. pulley. If that doesn't stop it, try it on the V-belt on the P/S pump. There is NO danger of the belt coming off or slipping as result of using the WD40 Remember, the safest place to do this is at the bottom pulley (from under the fender well) and DON'T drench the belt! BTW- WD40 is an anti-corrosive.
(answer to question- directly into the groove between the belt and pulley)
Ok, so it only worked 50% because the noise is still there, but it's quieter, and it doesn't get louder when I accelerate slowly.

So, I need to change the belt...
Old 06-27-13, 12:40 AM
code58
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Mut
Ok, so it only worked 50% because the noise is still there, but it's quieter, and it doesn't get louder when I accelerate slowly.

So, I need to change the belt...
Don't know exactly how to respond because the noise should have gone away completely, instantly, if it was the belt and there was enough WD40 applied. (as stated, it doesn't take a lot). I can only say in addition to what I just said, that it SOUNDED to me like the belt.
Did you also spray the P/S V belt?
Old 06-27-13, 08:13 AM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

Good call on PS belt. If the belts have not been changed, replace both of them.

Salim
Old 06-27-13, 07:47 PM
99rx
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

Stop trying to diagnose a clear belt issue... These cars are known for the original belts wearing out and making all sorts of noises. Get yourself a good Gates belt and be done with it.
Old 06-28-13, 12:53 AM
code58
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 99rx
Stop trying to diagnose a clear belt issue... These cars are known for the original belts wearing out and making all sorts of noises. Get yourself a good Gates belt and be done with it.
I replaced the A/C/Alt. belt on my DIL's '99RX with a Gates belt. I had a squalling when you accelerated which I did not have before I replaced the belt. Completely puzzled because I had double checked the tension and it was fine. I actually tore into the timing belt and W/P area to see if the squall was coming from there. Found no evidence of any problem there. I went back to the new Gates belt because that was the only change I had made since there was no squall. I Mic'd the grooves on the multi groove belt and found the angle of the grooves to be off by several thousands of an in. I went to Toyota and bought an OEM Toyota belt and the problem was solved. To say the least, I was ticked! I had wasted several hours trying to find the problem and it turns out if was the Canadian built Gates belt. NO MORE Gates belts for me!!! And to top it off, the OEM Toyota belt was several dollars LESS than the Gates belt!!!
Old 06-28-13, 07:12 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Get a Bando Belt. They are OE.