RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

2002 RX 300 Transmission Slipping

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-13, 11:20 AM
KoontzyCub
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 2002 RX 300 Transmission Slipping

Hey all! First post here. My transmission began to slip about a year ago or so. It was at the point where my dad was passing the car off to me and he took it to multiple shops inquiring about options. The consensus was that with the milage (now over 160,000) this was something that was unavoidable without a transmission rebuild or replacement. At that point, it was not happening very often. Over the past couple years it has gotten progressively worse. Will have good weeks and bad, sometimes it runs fine for a while, then will begin to slip again. I've seen on other threads that this is a common problem.

My question is regarding Lucas Transmission Fix Stops Slip additive. I know that eventually the transmission will bite the dust and at this point the only way to completely fix the problem is to replace/rebuild the transmission. I graduate in December at which point I will most likely purchase another vehicle. I was wondering if this product is something that will alleviate the problem for a bit, giving me a few more months where I'm not constantly worrying about the thing dropping out the bottom when I drive it. I've gotten good at knowing when the slipping is going to occur, but it's a pain in the *** to drive like that all the time. Hope for some feedback here, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old 06-20-13, 01:19 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Well it doesn't sound like you are experiencing the typical RX300 transmission failure. So you are lucky in that sense. .

At this point you don't have anything to lose. You might as well try the additive. I'm not a big fan of any additives, but the transmission is already failing so no harm will be done. lol
Old 06-20-13, 06:07 PM
Dadikins
Pole Position

I agree - this is not typical.

"Multiple shops" - regular mechanics? Transmission shops? (please don't say AAMCO).

Did any of them do a drain & fill? Drop the pan? Change the filter?

Does it slip in a particular gear? Particular speed? Any check engine light?

Most transmission failures on these cars are "sudden failures".

Good luck & keep us posted

Posted from ClubLexus.com App for Android
Old 06-21-13, 12:15 AM
code58
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by hypervish
Well it doesn't sound like you are experiencing the typical RX300 transmission failure. So you are lucky in that sense. .

At this point you don't have anything to lose. You might as well try the additive. I'm not a big fan of any additives, but the transmission is already failing so no harm will be done. lol
I agree, the trans is probably going, going, go....., but there are things that can cause a trans. to slip that have nothing to do with being worn out. Do a search on a RAV4 or Highlander sight. They had a problem with the programing in the PCM a # of years ago that would CAUSE failure if not caught soon enough. There are other makes of cars that have "failure" that is not failure, but will result in failure if not caught by the right KNOWLEDGEABLE mechanic in time. Probably failing at that many miles, but I agree, most RX trans. fail rather quickly once abnormality enters the picture. After almost 180K mi. of flawless service, our DIL's RX failed completely in an extremely short time.
Old 06-21-13, 02:34 AM
artbuc
Instructor

Received 101 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by code58
After almost 180K mi. of flawless service, our DIL's RX failed completely in an extremely short time.
Roger, what did your DIL do? Repair the trans? Did you do it?
Old 06-22-13, 12:44 AM
code58
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by artbuc
Roger, what did your DIL do? Repair the trans? Did you do it?
Nope Art, figured if it was worth maybe $6000. ? and would cost $4000. for a trans. that it was not financially wise "redistribution of funds" so it got replaced with a beautiful black '09 G37 Integrity. Got $2300. for it after removing the new tires. Actually when the guy came to pick up the tires he saw the car, liked it and bought the RX. Bought the tires for his wifes car and now has to get tires for the RX. Had decent used tires installed in place of the new tires but maybe not as good as he would want. I think our son did well on the sale. I told him to put it in Craigslist for $2500. and see what happened. I didn't tell him but I feared he might end up having to take as low as $700. He said he had too many calls to count. I'm still amazed at that!
I had pulled the pan and determined that there wasn't enough metal to declare "detonation" but it was truly bound up in reverse. "History was declared!"
Old 03-22-16, 06:44 AM
HarleyBill
Driver School Candidate

I have RX 300 1999 yesterday morning my transmission start slipping and then wouldn't go in any gear . no previous problems ? over night. ??
should I drain and change screen ?? HELP