RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Rear Differential or Transmission Problem???

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-13, 09:19 AM
IS250RWD
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Differential or Transmission Problem???

Ok Lexus Guru I need a little help.This is little long but bare with me So i was doing my dad 2001 RX300 AWD rear breaks you know something pretty simple that I have done before. But this time some was different so i did the driver side no problem then when i got passenger side i heard a pop when i was compressing the piston back into the caliper. I was like was that so i looked around and didnt see anything out of place no leaking fluid or anything so I was like huh whatever. so i continued to finish the job. Keep in mind i was only replacing the rotors and pads not the shoe. So when i got done with all the brakes i put the tire back on pumped the brakes to get the fluid back into the lines and i started up the car and was ready to go on a test drive. But I couldnt the rears seem like they were locking up like the cailpers wasnt releasing. So i took off the tires again and i when to passenger side where i heard the pop sound i took off the caliper off and stepped on the brakes to the floor see if the piston would come out but it didnt really. So i was like huh this caliper is bad so i went to go buy another caliper thinking it would fix the problem but it didnt. I installed the caliper bleed the brakes and all that but still the rears seems to be locking up. So then i though maybe the brake shoes. so i took off both tires and proceed to turn on the car and threw it in drive and reverse the rotors where spinning just fine. So i put the driver side tire on and started the car threw it in drive and the side with the tire seems like it just locked up while the passenger side spins freely. so I switched it around now the passenger has the tire and the driver side doesnt. Same results the side with the tire seized up and the side with out tire spun freely. So now im at a loss because with both tires put back on the whole rears just seizes up like the brakes are stuck. But i know its not the brakes.
So Now im thinking it is either the rear diff or transmission. But not to sure. Can anyone Shine some light on the situation???
Old 06-11-13, 03:15 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Is your RX AWD or FWD?

If AWD, are you sure you didn't accidentally get FWD rotors.

That's the only thing I can think of, however you say that the rotors were spinning.
Old 06-11-13, 04:50 PM
trhs75
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

My money is on Hypervish's idea -- I think I read something about someone being given the wrong pads once before with a similar result.