RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Driveshaft repair

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-13, 09:01 AM
KLF
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Driveshaft repair

I know this is a Lexus site, but I'm aware that the RX and Highlander share the same drivetrain, so I'd thought I'd post this here to see if anybody else has had the same problem. I tried searching and couldn't find anything.

We've been experiencing an odd vibration in our Highlander ('04 V6 AWD), usually in the 30-50 mph range, so today I finally put it up on stands and crawled under to take a look. I expected a bad CV joint (car has almost 140K on it now), but they all look fine. Wheel bearings feel and look fine. No leaks.

Crawled under the middle to check the center bearings (this car has 2 of them on the driveshaft), and discovered that the rear U-joint on the front section of the driveshaft is badly worn. Obvious play, no question in my mind that is the source of the vibration. Phew... I was worried this was gonna be an expensive repair, but a U-joint is an easy fix, I've done a few of them on my trucks.

To my horror, I find that Toyota only sells the ENTIRE DRIVESHAFT. You can't buy one section, not even one U-joint. A new shaft is over $1000! WTF??? How could they do something so STOOPID, especially for U-joints that cannot be greased?

Anybody else have any luck around this? Tried on-line at several places, I'm striking out. Nothing at Rockauto.com. I think my only possible savior is to take it to a driveline shop and see if they can match an aftermarket U-joint. Very disappointed that Toyota would do something so foolish.
Old 05-28-13, 03:08 PM
KLF
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thought I'd update this thread, in case this happens to anybody else.

I did a bunch of research today, made a bunch of phone calls. No parts stores in my area had anything to help me, even a new shaft. I called a custom driveshaft shop, and as soon as I said the word "Highlander" the guy basically said "you're screwed". Essentially, the U-joints are "staked" into the yokes, and the bearing caps are not intended to be removed, ever.

I did find the U-joints on eBay, and even found a website that explains how to R&R a staked U-joint. I've done several U-joints, so I'm not afraid of doing them, I have a 20T shop press and all the tools, but the part about balancing gave me too many doubts. I need this car to be reliable for my wife, and I'd like to keep it riding nice. Other than one set of brake pads and one set of tires, this is the FIRST thing that has ever worn out or failed on the car since we've owned it (bought it used w/40K on it), so I guess I should consider myself lucky.

Here is where I got a new (remanufactured) driveshaft:

http://www.wholesaleimportparts.com/...shaft_2004.php

Just ordered it a few minutes ago. $713 + 200 core, free shipping (both ways).

I am extremely disappointed that Toyota would design this driveshaft intentionally to not be serviceable. This is very poor design, and IMO unacceptable. I wonder what else has been designed this way on this car and others. I have sent an email to Toyota Corporate via their website, requesting the reason why this was done. Meanwhile, I had intentions of replacing this car next Spring (10 years old) with another Highlander, but that's not likely to happen now. Not sure what I'll do, as I've been a hard-core Toyota owner for almost 30 years, but I can't accept this. This whole experience has really turned my stomach on this company.
Old 05-28-13, 10:53 PM
carguy07
Lexus Champion

Received 73 Likes on 65 Posts

Ouch! Thanks for the update, hope to never encounter that one.
Old 05-29-13, 06:42 PM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

I have heard that many localities have drive line repair shops...They will take yours and rebuild it for a very reasonable fee. Sorry about your expense.