RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

RX300 FWD Tires for Rain & Snow

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-13, 05:47 AM
Jamazon
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RX300 FWD Tires for Rain & Snow

Is there a recommended tire for this car? My 5 yr old Michelin snow tires need to be replaced. -Great longevity considering they were used year round. This car has terrible traction in snow or wet surfaces. I gingerly rock to starts on snow or rain surfaces, typically holding up traffic behind me as I try to grip for traction and go. I thought the snow tires would help, but did not notice a difference from all weather tires. Any suggestions? It can be dangerous in Colorado especially when drivers in front of you decide to creep up a hill. Studs would not be a good idea for water so not sure what to do for my next set of tires.

I do not think it is my driving. I have driven FWD sedans, AWD mini vans and 4WD Jeeps & Broncos. The last time I experience this sort of traction problem was with a rear wheel drive Volvo station wagon - late '70s vintage. My guess is the RX is too big for FWD to do the trick in Colorado weather. Looks can be deceiving!

-Would really appreciate some direction based on experienced knowledge. Thanks!

Last edited by Jamazon; 05-09-13 at 05:58 AM. Reason: Grammar correction and more details needed
Old 05-09-13, 08:03 AM
salimshah

Received 994 Likes on 898 Posts

At the tail end of the life, any tire sucks and only in early life they perform their best. This influences our opinion.

The other issue is there is no single tire that will perform well in all conditions and serious compromises have to be made for extreme conditions and in winter country folks typically have two sets of tires (and even dedicated rims so that they can swap out easy).. You can visit sites like TireRack and view reviews [note that the reviewers are general public and not experts).

As far as actual RX, you should find it close to a sedan in its behavior. Do you carry lots of weight or people in he cab which is affecting the weight distribution and what pressure do you keep in the tires? [the tires are worn out]

Since I have not driven in the conditions you describe, so my input has little bearing.

Salim
Old 05-13-13, 05:47 AM
Jamazon
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Salim,
Thanks for taking the time to reply. I drive the car alone most of the time, no extra weight anywhere else, and I weigh 140 so I don't think that's it. The Michelin snow tires (sold to me by Lexus) had the same issues when new five years ago. I drove them year round because I was hoping they might help with rainfall traction. I have tried turning off traction control to see if that might be the problem, and read blogs to see if there was a traction control problem in this year of FWD RXs. The worst complaints I read were for the AWD for that year.

I will check out the tire site you recommended and go from there.

Thanks again for taking the time,
Jamazon