RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

2002 RX300 saved my life!

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-13, 01:17 AM
03LexusGS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 RX300 saved my life!

Skidded across the road, down a 200' embankment, through a barbed wire fence, landed on passenger side in the middle of a cow lot!

This side looks pretty good...

This side...NOT so good...

I was just taking it in to Lexus for the VSC and ABS lights on. I had taken it to Lexus about a month and a half ago...$2,500 worth of work to eliminate engine light on, VSC light, ABS light...they replaced sensors, rotors, this and that,,,and since the car had 130,000 miles I said...what the heck, lets replace the timing belt, get the engine tuned, blah blah blah...

Well, last week the VSC and ABS lights came on, so I was taking it in to get fixed...again...it WAS NOT RAINING..it had rained, but the road was not abnormally slick...a car was coming around a curve, swerved into my lane, and I gently tapped the brakes...guess what? The car swapped ends...the rear end swerved 180 degrees and I was powerless to stop this 'Wild Ride Of Mr Toad'...

I'm OK...a bit sore, ambulance ride to hospital, and x rays notwithstanding....I'm ok,,,but now I'm in the market for another suv. I LIKE the RX...what say you? Were the ABS and VSC systems failures the culprits?

Keep in mind that I've driven mountain roads with black ice, devilish switch-backs, nasty weather et al...but I've NEVER had a car react so...well...NOT REACT AT ALL!...Still...I thank my lucky stars that it held together like a little tank! Fire Crew got me out through the sun roof, which actually worked while the car was on it's side, lights on, stereo playing...me hanging in my seat belt praying that no gas would leak onto the engine...and burn my hiney up!

Last edited by 03LexusGS; 04-30-13 at 01:32 AM.
Old 04-30-13, 01:39 AM
Dadikins
Pole Position

Wow! I'd say that you're lucky to be alive!

Airbag deployment?

Are you sure you didn't have a blowout?

Posted from ClubLexus.com App for Android
Old 04-30-13, 03:36 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

First off, i'm glad to see you made it out alive!

The tire's don't look like they have a lot of tread left. It's possible you drove over a spot on the road that had oil on it, which of course is very slick. Also, roads when they are just beginning to get wet are the most slick, rather than when it is continuously raining.
Old 04-30-13, 06:39 AM
99rx
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

That will buff out...
Glad to hear you're ok. Since these things are packed with so many airbags, it's hard to get hurt, haha.
Old 04-30-13, 06:50 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Wow!! So glad that you are okay. I think what happened is your ABS system was not functioning due to the cell/code you had going on. So when you reacted, you were at a disadvantage with out the abs system.
Old 04-30-13, 08:18 AM
salimshah

Received 994 Likes on 898 Posts

Glad that you are OK and have not lost your sense of humor. The fireball is film exaggeration. It rarely happens and when it does the tank has to crack.

Have you ever have RX misbehave in handling under similar condition? My '98 GS400 generates audible alarm ... but it has more sophisticated system. While '95 SC400 has to be driven just right. I never push my RX and only rely on ABS traveling straight on and loss of traction on both the front wheels.

I would not be in a hurry to pass a judgment on what was the root cause. The possibilities are more than ABS not working (some CEL conditions would lightup the ABS light but the problem can be unrelated to actual ABS). How are the treads in the back? The front one is off the rim and if that happened in the early stage, you will end up off the road.

People only think about hyroplaning (standing water) due to rain, but mostly the problems are due to moving oil-slick and puncture causing debris that is moved into track where people drive.

Finally, ABS are a great step forward in safety, but remember that Physics rules all the time.

I wish you a quick full recovery. If you opt for another SUV, you are compromising on overall stability.

Salim
Old 04-30-13, 09:17 AM
03LexusGS
Driver School Candidate

No airbag deployment...it only has front airbags and I was more or less sliding down the hill...and there was no front end impact as you can see in the photos.

Well I'm wondering if it was the VSC or vehicle stabilization control? That front tire off the rim is brand new, just bought it. The curve was not that sharp, it had been raining on and off for a week so that wasn't an issue, and no alarms went off. The audible alarm does go off like that on my '03 Lexus GS300 if the car slips a bit.

I just got a call from a salesman from Lexus who has a 2004 RX330 Bamboo Pearl with tan interior, back-up cam, navigation, larger engine, 80k miles and HE said that they would put a new timing belt in the engine (I guess the belt is inside the engine) and put brand new tires plus spare on the vehicle.

He said it has Mark Levinson stereo upgrade, DVD player (Whatever that is)...and Heated Seats, and they'll put new brake pads, check rotors etc etc etc.

19k from the same Lexus dealer that performed the work on my 2002. I'm going to go look at it today and I'll give you a report tonight!

Last edited by 03LexusGS; 04-30-13 at 09:25 AM.
Old 04-30-13, 11:10 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Well keep in mind that when the VSC and ABS light are on, those systems are deactivated. Even if the CEL fault is un-related, it will not activate VSC and ABS.
Old 04-30-13, 11:10 AM
defo
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 03LexusGS
No airbag deployment...it only has front airbags and I was more or less sliding down the hill...and there was no front end impact as you can see in the photos.

Well I'm wondering if it was the VSC or vehicle stabilization control? That front tire off the rim is brand new, just bought it. The curve was not that sharp, it had been raining on and off for a week so that wasn't an issue, and no alarms went off. The audible alarm does go off like that on my '03 Lexus GS300 if the car slips a bit.

I just got a call from a salesman from Lexus who has a 2004 RX330 Bamboo Pearl with tan interior, back-up cam, navigation, larger engine, 80k miles and HE said that they would put a new timing belt in the engine (I guess the belt is inside the engine) and put brand new tires plus spare on the vehicle.

He said it has Mark Levinson stereo upgrade, DVD player (Whatever that is)...and Heated Seats, and they'll put new brake pads, check rotors etc etc etc.

19k from the same Lexus dealer that performed the work on my 2002. I'm going to go look at it today and I'll give you a report tonight!
I'm not certain what conditions would active them, but all RX300s have side airbags in the front seats.
Old 04-30-13, 03:41 PM
Francis
Pole Position

Glad you are alive. Hope you will not feel very sore in the next few days.
Old 04-30-13, 05:30 PM
gazi001
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Glad you are alive and hope you will make everything easy.
Old 05-01-13, 06:48 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

I dont suppose that it can be fixed at this point huh? I`m sure your ins. will just total it out.
Old 05-01-13, 07:26 AM
03LexusGS
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lexus114
I dont suppose that it can be fixed at this point huh? I`m sure your ins. will just total it out.
Yes definitely a total...but surprisingly I'm not sore anywhere at all! Looking forward to my new car!

I just got a call from a salesman from Lexus who has a 2004 RX330 Bamboo Pearl with tan interior, back-up cam, navigation, larger engine, 80k miles and HE said that they would put a new timing belt in the engine (I guess the belt is inside the engine) and put brand new tires plus matching spare on the vehicle.

He said it has Mark Levinson stereo upgrade whatever that is..., DVD player..and Heated Seats, and they'll put new brake pads, check rotors etc etc etc.

19.9k from the same Lexus dealer that performed the work on my 2002.

I GOT IT FOR 17k! Plus new brake pads, rotors and all fluids and filters changed! Gotta' love MY LEXUS! CarMax report is flawless, single owner vehicle with all maintenance done by my local dealer!

I'm Sooo excited guys! Lexus is really taking care of me!

Last edited by 03LexusGS; 05-01-13 at 07:52 AM.
Old 05-01-13, 10:10 AM
trhs75
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Glad you're all right! Wow -- you may have had to change your underwear afterward....

Congrats on the new vehicle!
Old 05-01-13, 09:38 PM
Partywave
Rookie

Glad you're alright and it all worked out. Congrats on the new ride.

Quick Reply: 2002 RX300 saved my life!