RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

1999 - Replaced 'D'bulb killed tach & speedo

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-13, 11:11 AM
funcar
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 - Replaced 'D'bulb killed tach & speedo

Hello first post. Thanks for all the useful info. Perhaps I've become overconfident. I thought I could handle replacing the bulb but now I feel like Tim the Tool Man Taylor. I searched for this issue but didn't find a similar issue. I did check to make sure the bulb was working before I put everything back together so perhaps this has something to do with it. It just appears to be the Tach and Speedo that are dead. By dead I mean they don't move at all. The dimmer switch, the only one I disconnected, works fine. I'm just wondering what I should be checking besides disconnecting all three cluster connections and reconnecting them. Did I possibly fry something? There isn't any burnt smell. Maybe a fuse to check? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Old 04-08-13, 05:57 PM
carguy07
Lexus Champion

Received 73 Likes on 65 Posts

I would just pull the connectors out and push them back in, probably just not seated in all the way.
Old 04-09-13, 03:33 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Welcome to Club Lexus!

I would try disconnecting the battery for 10 minutes, and then reconnecting it. A reset may solve the issue.
Old 04-10-13, 06:55 AM
funcar
Driver School Candidate

Took the dash apart again and squeezed the connector really hard. No luck. Pulled the connectors out and reconnected. TOUCHDOWN!! I hate electrical issues. I get enough weird S#$t doing software development.

Thanks for the suggestions.
Old 04-10-13, 08:24 AM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

Originally Posted by funcar
Took the dash apart again and squeezed the connector really hard. No luck. Pulled the connectors out and reconnected. TOUCHDOWN!! I hate electrical issues. I get enough weird S#$t doing software development.

Thanks for the suggestions.
Going off topic ... but could not resist
Software problems can be trapped and tested by flags etc, and you get instant satisfaction ... the easy hardware problems are constant fails ... and when you get to intermittent problems you have to stretch your mind and think out of the box.

Salim
Old 04-15-13, 01:25 PM
DrDan
Rookie

Default Connectors that don't connect

Interesting about the wire connectors. On two different occasions my washing machine stopped. My diagnostics took me to the main timing control relay. After replacing it, the washer still failed. I called my friend over and he poked around in exactly the same places I did a short time before. Only he poked the connections with vigor and the washer started working. It was a bad connection at the spade clip. A few months later, the motor appeared to have failed. Full voltmeter continuity and voltage readings went down to the motor connector. I called my friend again and he came over and jammed the connectors together and voila, the motor started. It appears that even though the connectors are together, they are “not connecting” even if the continuity meter says they are. In short, the main reason for an electrical failure, at least in washers and driers, is the you are discounting a mechanical connection that silently goes bad. You really have to really jam the connectors together to make sure they are connected.

I wonder how many washing machine motors were replaced unnecessarily by repair people who know this shortcoming and replace the motor anyway? When the motor is replaced, the connectors get wiped together and the owner throws away a perfectly good motor. Not a bad scam.

Just a little something to tuck away in your brain cells for future reference.

Dr Dan