RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

02 Transmission Whine

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-13, 05:03 AM
daddykay24
Pit Crew

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default 02 Transmission Whine

Hello all, I have an 02 coach edition that has recently developed a whining when you first start it up. I put my ear to the transmission pan one morning and it is coming from there. However, once the car and the tranny warms up it goes way. The car shifts fine and has no problem down shifting when required to do so..
Of course when taken to the dealer, they say to replace the entire transmission at about $5000. The problem is, it's only worth about $7000 so that does not add up to me. Any one else here experience a whinny transmission and what was the end result.
By the way, the car has about 89k on it and it is daily driven. Bought it brand new and we are the original owners. No tranny fluid change was done and the fluid looks and smells normal.
Old 03-24-13, 05:50 AM
Baetke
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Isn't it still under warranty?
Old 03-24-13, 05:59 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Just so you know, it is worth more than $7k. I'd price it at around $9, considering it's a coach edition with "low" miles. I've seen them go recently for $10k, because the coach edition isn't as easy to find. I just helped my uncle sell an 03' with 114k miles for $8,500 and that was just a standard edition, nothing fancy. lol I almost bought it myself, I still wish I did.

These transmission do all have a very slight whine, but not in idle generally during 1st gear. There's a few threads on here about it, which all say it is normal. However, your's seems to be something different as you say it's making the noise even when in idle.

It doesn't give me a lot of hope when you say it hasn't had a single fluid change done. That transmission has been neglected in my eyes, but may not be seen as neglected by Toyota as they don't recommended a fluid change either. But, it's pretty clear these transmissions need a drain and fill every 15k miles with a stellar fluid, something better than T-IV.
Old 03-24-13, 08:51 AM
Dadikins
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also have a 2002 Coach Edition. Last winter, mine was also whining when it was very cold & making "other noises" when in second trying to go to third. Seemed to only happen in the cold - and only for the first 5 minutes of driving. Had transmission cooling line corrode this past October - had it repaired & regular transmission service done. Knock on wood, haven't heard any noises this winter (been very cold) & heard no "whining". I would say have your transmission serviced (drain & fill at a minimum) & see what happens. Posted from ClubLexus.com App for Android
Old 03-24-13, 10:25 AM
daddykay24
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Baetke
Isn't it still under warranty?
Unless you know something I don't the warranty is 4 yrs and 50k.
Originally Posted by hypervish
These transmission do all have a very slight whine, but not in idle generally during 1st gear. There's a few threads on here about it, which all say it is normal. However, your's seems to be something different as you say it's making the noise even when in idle.

It doesn't give me a lot of hope when you say it hasn't had a single fluid change done. That transmission has been neglected in my eyes, but may not be seen as neglected by Toyota as they don't recommended a fluid change either. But, it's pretty clear these transmissions need a drain and fill every 15k miles with a stellar fluid, something better than T-IV.
Hype, the whine at idle is what got my attention. The car is dealer serviced and not one time was a transmission service recommended. I was told that it was a closed system and that it did not need servicing. After conducting a search on here, I am learning different.
What fluid would you guys suggest for a drain and filter replacement?
Old 03-24-13, 03:15 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by daddykay24
Hype, the whine at idle is what got my attention. The car is dealer serviced and not one time was a transmission service recommended. I was told that it was a closed system and that it did not need servicing. After conducting a search on here, I am learning different.
What fluid would you guys suggest for a drain and filter replacement?
It stinks to hear that your dealer told you it was a closed system, as it is not. It does have a dipstick, and no special tools are needed. I'm not surprised though that they haven't recommended a transmission service, since Toyota only say's the fluid should be inspected, they don't say anything about replacing it regularly.

Some dealerships actually are recommending RX300 owners to change the fluid frequently, such as 15k - 25k mile intervals. Those are the dealerships that look out for their customer.

I wouldn't replace the filter, if it's a screen. Just clean it and put it back. Your filter should be a screen as no one has ever touched it, only paper filters are available for replacement.

I suggest using Castrol Transmax. Import Multi-Vehicle. I've been using it for 60k miles with no issues, and many other CL members are using it as well. A number of folks on BITOG (bob is the oil guy), are also using it as a substitute in other vehicles which spec Toyota Type-IV.

Last edited by hypervish; 03-24-13 at 03:18 PM.
Old 04-13-13, 11:10 AM
daddykay24
Pit Crew

I finally had the fluid and the filter changed. The filter was so dirty that it would not come clean so it was replaced. As a result, I am happy to report that the transmission whine is gone and we are shifting nice and smooth.(Knock on wood.)
I also looked through my records and noticed that prestige lexus had performed this service back in 2010 during one of my services. So it has been done in the past. Just not by my current dealer.
I want to thank you guys for your help and keep your fingers crossed that we don't start slipping.
Old 04-14-13, 07:52 AM
kalali
Pole Position

If it were me, I'd do another drain and fill in about 10K miles to replace some of the remaining old fluid.
Old 04-15-13, 06:17 AM
daddykay24
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by kalali
If it were me, I'd do another drain and fill in about 10K miles to replace some of the remaining old fluid.
Don't worry. I will be keeping a closer eye on this and servicing it more often. Thanks for the advice.
Old 05-13-13, 04:33 AM
emitchum
Driver School Candidate

Default whiney

listen to the before and after
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...problem-8.html