RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

P0330 Knock Sensor, 15 min. Hack Repair...

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-15, 01:19 PM
bartmax
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it worked, done in 20 minutes!
thanks a million!
Old 03-04-15, 09:19 PM
dcmission
Driver School Candidate

Default It Works! Thank you!

A big thanks to Bobster999 for the original post on this great hack repair that saved me a ton of money, and to cwsteini for posting detailed pictures with step by step instructions.

I've had p0330 since more than 6 months ago, which showed up right after I fixed p1349 - Variable Valve Timing System Malfunction Bank 1 - by replacing the oil control valve. (I don't think the two are related) Since the car wouldn't go into overdrive, I had to drive 300 miles back to AZ from CA in the 3rd gear at high RPM. Certainly not ideal, but I didn't have other options at the time and had to get home. The engine was smooth, and there was no knocking, so I figured it was just a dead knock sensor, and really didn't want to spend hundreds getting it replaced at a shop. The RX became the around town car for grocery runs, and I couldn't take it on the highway anymore.

I finally got some time today to try the fix and it worked marvelously well. The pictures really helped! At first the car spewed out 8 CEL codes right after the splice job, 7 of them new, which scared me for a moment, but I cleared the codes and went on a 10 mile test drive with no issues. The check engine light never came on again, and I was able to drive the car around town and on the highway, even under heavy acceleration all the way to 90 mph. Overdrive was back. The engine was smooth as ever, and the no codes ever came back!

Thank you guys again for the great posts and thanks to ClubLexus for the great forum. I've been quietly reading and learning for a few years now but finally just joined today.

See you all around.
Old 03-08-15, 04:36 AM
bentkent
Driver School Candidate

would this also make the engine throw out different codes like p1351 vvt sensor range,p1354 vvt system malfunction p0110 intake air temp p0100 and also when it is very warm outside the engine rpms jus die out and come back any ideas????
Old 03-08-15, 10:15 AM
Barceloj
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bobster999 is a genius

I can't say how thrilled I am to have found this thread. My 2001 RX300 with 189k has been throwing this code for longer than I can remember and I have been driving around with my laptop and a cable plugged into my OBD so I can easily clear the code when it pops up.

Bobster999, thanks so much for this fabulously simple concept/hack.

Cwsteini, awesome photos!!! What a wonderful addition to this $$$$ saving thread.

Heading out now to get me a wire splicing device.

Thanks again!!
Old 03-09-15, 08:32 AM
Barceloj
Driver School Candidate

Default Wiring Diagrams

Some folks in this post had asked about wiring diagrams.

I have attached the ones I have found over the years of owning my RX300.

-J
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Toyota and Lexus Reference.pdf (1.69 MB, 1900 views)
The following users liked this post:
jktx555 (12-04-23)
Old 03-09-15, 06:45 PM
maxSteel
Instructor

Received 265 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by Barceloj
Some folks in this post had asked about wiring diagrams.

I have attached the ones I have found over the years of owning my RX300.

-J
Thanks Barceloj, that's very useful.
Makes a great addition to the collection.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Body Electrical (BE) file.pdf (3.20 MB, 973 views)
The following users liked this post:
jktx555 (12-04-23)
Old 03-18-15, 09:56 AM
bhutch
Driver School Candidate

Default Knock sensor hack

Originally Posted by OnTheFidel
I have a 2000 ES300, and this works! As far as I can tell, runs as well as ever.

Thanks to Bobster999 and cwsteini

As a note to ES300 users, the location of the pin is very similar to the ones pictures shown above, but the knock sensor wires are both white/clear (and adjacent to one another). For the specific location, you should refer to a repair manual. In my particular car, the wire for knock sensor 2 was indicated by red tape. To be more specific, on the row on the far side of the clip of the pin you are looking for, there will be two white wires between five and three wires on either side (same row). The white wire to the right of the five wires will be for knock sensor 1. The white wire to the left of the three wires will be for knock sensor 2.

Cheers!
Would you be able to post pics of your repair on the es300? That would be fantastic if you could! Thanks!
Old 03-30-15, 11:42 PM
LESUS
Driver School Candidate

Default Splicing works great!

Thanks to Bobster999 for the idea and cwsteini for the fabulous pics, I had it done in 20 minutes with a splicer and OFF the P0330 code went!

Wish my 1354 code were so easily delt with.
Old 05-19-15, 11:16 AM
dlamb89
Rookie

97 es here. I have a p0325 only, when I delete it, it comes on no more than within a few miles. It comes back faster the more gas and/or RPMs I give it.

I run 93 octane all the time. I hear no knocking, and overdrive works great and my performance is fine. I do notice after the code, it's definitely retarding the timing, more noticeably on harder acceleration. I looked on my scanner on the "live reading", and the timing does retard itself.

It's strange I'm getting p0325 instead of the popular p0330. With this given information, and based on all of your experience, could this be due to something else rather than the knock sensor, harness, or ECU?

For the es300 from 97, what colors will the sensor wires be? and since I would be feeding the good reading from sensor 2, instead of 1, as said in this post, will it still work?

Please give me your best answers. I'm willing to replace the sensors, but I would like to know if I can still do this trick.
Old 06-08-15, 12:37 PM
shart1
Driver School Candidate

Your 15 min. fix for P0330 sounds wonderful. However, after spending the allotted 15 mins. just taking glove compartment down, I have additional problem locating the right black and almost white wires. Could you please tell in which plug they are located, counting down from top plug. Thanks so much.
Old 06-10-15, 06:04 AM
maxSteel
Instructor

Received 265 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by shart1
Your 15 min. fix for P0330 sounds wonderful. However, after spending the allotted 15 mins. just taking glove compartment down, I have additional problem locating the right black and almost white wires. Could you please tell in which plug they are located, counting down from top plug. Thanks so much.
Did you look at the pictures?
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...ml#post8642330
Old 09-18-15, 06:02 PM
Maine
Driver School Candidate

Default Seriously, Big Thank YOU

I replaced one knock sensor on my wife's 99 RX300 last year to the tune of +$900. Only for the check engine light to com back on two days later. Took it to Toyota (because they were closer). They told me that it was the sensor again and quoted me $1200. After accusing them of smoking CRACK I went to Lexus (2hr. away) who told me $2000.

I got her home and started looking at youtube. Figured I could do this. With parts and some elbow grease it came to $360 to replace both sensors and harness. Kept searching the trusty interweb and hit up my partners at clublexus and Claude van BAMM! A $10, twenty minute solution.

No sweat. I'm looking like a Rockstar! Had to run my hands across the engine for added effect with the Misses. Bobster and Chsteini you guys are BOSS. If you are ever in NC/USA let me know, cause I owe you guys a cold one.

Seriously, you guy are the epitome of what this site should be about. I hope I can return the favor.

The only thing I did different was I had a bad Bank 1 sensor so I switched it up and funneled both wires to the black, instead of clear. Cheers!
Old 10-19-15, 08:20 PM
Jamin26
2nd gear

Default Knock Sensor Hack RX330

Hi Bobster..
I saw your thread re a hack to fix a dreaded knock sensor code P0330. My mech wants $800 to replace the 2 sensors. Can you do me the favor of sending me the text you sent someone else on the detaailed fix?
Its appreciated!
Old 10-20-15, 03:52 AM
Bobster999
Intermediate

Received 26 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Jamin26
Hi Bobster..
I saw your thread re a hack to fix a dreaded knock sensor code P0330. My mech wants $800 to replace the 2 sensors. Can you do me the favor of sending me the text you sent someone else on the detaailed fix?
Its appreciated!
The details are already posted in this post.
Old 10-20-15, 07:17 AM
salimshah
Forum Moderator

Received 1,099 Likes on 989 Posts

Just a friendly reminder. (disclaimer)

The technique listed here is for diagnostic purposes. Please read and abide by your city/county/state/federal laws regarding modifying emission control system for a any vehicle that uses city/county/state/federal streets/roads/hwy. These laws regulate use and resale of tampered with vehicles.

Salim

Quick Reply: P0330 Knock Sensor, 15 min. Hack Repair...