RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Instrument Cluster Drive Gear Indicator Light Out

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-03, 10:54 AM
Garymkrieg
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Instrument Cluster Drive Gear Indicator Light Out

I have a 2000 RX. The light indicating that the transmission is in Drive in the instrument cluster has gone out. All the other gear indicator lights are working, only the Drive is not working. Is there a bulb out behind the "D" or is something else going on? If it is the bulb how difficult is it to change the bulb?

Any insight here will be appreciated.
Old 03-16-03, 04:54 PM
ederny
Pole Position

Default Here is a hint...

...Gary, I have not taken apart an RX instrument cluster but I did find a hint that it is a bulb in the cluster as indicated by the drawing from the shop manual.

https://www.clublexus.com/gallery/da...ter_d_lamp.gif

You may have to figure out how to get into the cluster, find the lamp, identify the type and get a replacement.

Good Luck
Old 03-16-03, 06:06 PM
blevinson
Driver School Candidate

Last week I noticed exactly the same thing on my 2000 RX. I wonder if there is a service campaign.
Old 03-16-03, 06:15 PM
lexus_mark
Driver School Candidate

had the same thing happen to my rx. Took it in under warranty replaced the bulb at no cost
Old 03-16-03, 08:43 PM
satxrx
Driver

That's happened to both my '99 RXs. The dealership said that's not unusual since that's the gear that the vehicle is in most the time thus the light just goes out. Luckily, had both replaced under CPO warranty.
Old 03-16-03, 10:42 PM
gp1200x
Rookie

Mine is out too! Too much of a coincidence. Never seen this is any car before. Cheap quality in my opinion. I have the manual but haven't reviewed the procedure yet to replace it. I am sure it is a hassle.
Old 03-21-03, 07:52 AM
badams
Pole Position

Smile

My wife's 99 RX has this same problem, asked the dealer to look at it and they said it was a typical problem, unfortunetly it is so difficult for them to change that bulb they wouldn't fix it unless we paid for it (car wasn't under warranty). I thought this kinda sucked, but they did buy us a new transmission (some elctrical thing was going bad) and buy us the new lower leather on the driver seat (when they ripped it during servicing) at no cost.

Overall very happy with the car! I can live with a burnt out bulb. It's not like I can't tell what gear I'm in!

badams
Old 03-21-03, 08:36 AM
jpappas123
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine is out in my 99 as well
Old 03-21-03, 11:59 AM
Lexmexico
Lead Lap

MIne went out down here in Mexico. I decided to leave the thing out. Got to be so much of a nuisance since it is the only thing that normally lights up during nighttime driving on the indicators. Better to just leave the thing out.
Old 03-23-03, 07:42 PM
slowtan
Driver

I just purchased a 99 and the light was out.

If there are any of you do-it-yourselfers who have fixed this. Please let me know.

I have owned vehicles for over 15 years and never had one of those lights go out. That just seems cheap to me ..

Stephen
Old 03-31-03, 01:41 AM
slowtan
Driver

Has anyone fixed this yet or at least gotten a quote. I am out of warranty ..
Old 03-31-03, 06:25 AM
jpappas123
Driver School Candidate

Im taking it all in stride now and pretending its a "feature" When the light goes away on the dash panel I know I am in drive.

J
The following users liked this post:
malmon (03-15-21)
Old 03-31-03, 12:23 PM
LadyLexRX
Driver School Candidate

My drive light was out when I bought my car. It wasn't until I got a loaner for my first service that I realized it should light up!! I agree that it would be more of a distraction than anything when it is dark out so I am leaving the bulb burned out.
Old 10-25-03, 02:23 PM
cephraim
Driver

Anybody ever figure out how to get into the cluster to replace the bulb?
How do you get the bezel off?
Old 10-27-03, 02:09 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

You will need to remove the 2 philip head screws on the upper part of black plastic cover around the cluster. Then remove the plastic trim around the ignition key cylinder and another plastic trim on the left side ( the seat memory and remote mirror switch are in this trim) and both of these trims just pop out.
After remove the black plastic cover around the cluster, you will need to remove 3 move philip head screws that hold the cluster. Remove the cluster out of its housing and carefully disconnect 3 connectors.
Then place the cluster face down on a towel to protect the clear cover. You will see the 'D' light from the back side. Just count the indicator light start from the bottom until you get to ' D'. Just use a small flat head screw driver and turn counter clockwise to remove the bulb. If you are not sure it's the right bulb you just removes, just shine the flash light behind it . Good luck.
The following users liked this post:
skohan (07-25-17)

Quick Reply: Instrument Cluster Drive Gear Indicator Light Out