RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Another dead transmission reporting in

Old 03-24-13, 07:29 AM
salimshah

Received 991 Likes on 896 Posts

I would ask the shop who is giving the 30k mile warranty. Although not required, I would even part with the extra $ you save by DYI and let the shop do the suggested maint by the shop based on their suggested service interval. Why? Currently a good portion of the value of the vehicle is the serviced transmission and the warranty is pretty precious at this time.

Salim
Old 03-24-13, 08:45 AM
mckellyb
Lexus Test Driver

Received 147 Likes on 109 Posts

I'm late to this thread, but good-on-ya for fixing and keeping it.

I know that's a large wad of cash to throw at a now 12 year old vehicle, but the new ones are not like these.

"Shift kit", eh? I've never been able to find a valve body 'tweak' which firmed the shifts, but I'd love to have one for my wife low-mileage 2002!
Old 03-24-13, 07:01 PM
EnzoRX
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

@ Baetke,

I am aware of the hot debate of using any other ATF besides Toyota Type T-IV. For the entire life of my RX it has seen Toyota Type T-IV. After reading all the material on ClubLexus and bobistheoilguy, there are other alternatives to Toyota Type T-IV, which are much better. I know there are guys that are adamant in Type T-IV...I used to be one of those guys. Even with my religious ATF fluid changes, my transmission still died. Yes, Type T-IV may not be the blame and maybe the transmission stayed together for 91,000 because of Type T-IV. But then again, maybe not. Who knows? But for now, this transmission is pretty well no longer a Toyota/Aisin transmission. I do not know where the transmission rebuild parts came from (probably not Aisin), but it is essentially a new transmission with different guts than when it came out from the Lexus manufacturer plant in Japan 12 years ago. Given the success that other CL members have had with other fluids besides Type T-IV, I have no qualms about switching the ATF out to either Castrol Transmax IMV or Valvoline MaxLife Dex/Merc or Redline D4. But right now, Castrol Transmax IMV was available and at a reasonable cost (~$5.58 per quart at Walmart).

@ hypervish,

I saw your posts (and the posts by CharBaby) and favorable reviews on Castrol IMV. That is another reason why I wanted to explore other ATF’s besides Type T-IV. I went to a local Autozone to scope out the Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF. It seems that Mobil 1 ATF no longer has the Type T-IV “meets or exceeds” specification. Maybe they changed the formulation of Mobil 1 ATF. I only use Mobil 1 ATF for my power steering fluid anyways.

@salimshah,

Good point on the ATF drain and fills. The transmission shop has warrantied their work for 3 years or 36,000 miles. They told me to come back around 15,000 miles for a drain and fill in order to keep the warranty intact. After 15,000 miles, they have stated that I do not need to return again for a drain and fill within the remaining warranty period. That being the case, I will visit the shop when I roll to around 105,000 miles. I am averaging around 1,000 miles per month on the RX, so it will probably take me around 12 to 15 months to get to 105,000 miles.

@mckellyb,

Yes, a large bucket of cash was thrown at our 12 year old RX. But my wife still loves the RX. I will keep maintaining it as if we were keeping it for another 12 years.

Yeah, a shift kit is what I was told. Mind you, this is not to be mistaken for a Short Shift Kit. It sure seems to really improve the shift “feel” though. I really like it. The RX really shifts down much quicker when you are cruising along and then just mash down the accelerator. Whatever else the transmission shop did, it sure is a more responsive transmission now.
Old 05-14-13, 02:14 AM
JZS147btr
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Necro-ish thread, I know but I wanted to add a extra voice in the trans fluid debate...

I did a full FLUSH (using a BG flushing machine) and switched to Valvoline MaxLife ATF and added LubeGard. I have put approximately 10K miles on the car with this combo (car has nearly 100K miles on it) and the trans runs great and feels smoother than it ever has (I've had the car since NEW). It also got rid of a slight "lag" issue I was having with the transmission. It's the original transmission that came with the car and the trans fluid was swapped out only once at ~40K (done by the Lexus dealer with I'm assuming Toyota Type T-IV).

I would definitely use this combo in any car that I owned.

Last edited by JZS147btr; 05-14-13 at 02:22 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 05-14-13, 07:00 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by EnzoRX
Hi all,

I have a 2001 RX300 Silversport AWD with ~91,000 miles. It is primarily my wife’s Daily Driver.

This morning, while shifting into Reverse, the RX did not move. I pressed down a little more on the accelerator, but it still did not move. I shifted it back into Park, waited a few seconds, and then shifted it into Reverse again. No joy...it still did not move...so I pressed the accelerator a little more and then THUD! It slammed into Reverse and it backed out of the garage. I shifted it into Drive and it started moving forward with no problems and parked it back in my garage. I again put it into Reverse, and it did not move. I gave a press on the accelerator, and once again THUD! It slammed into Reverse and backed up. This time, there were some other mechanical grinding noises accompanying it. Not good. I just put it back into Drive and it went forward with no problems. I then just parked it in the garage and turned off the RX.

Add me to the list of the dead RX300 transmissions syndrome.

I am the original owner and have only used Toyota Type T-IV as my ATF choice with every drain and fill. At ~28,000 miles, I drained and filled the ATF for the first time. I then D&F’d it two more times in 300 mile increments. I have changed the ATF every 10,000 miles or so since then. The front and rear differential fluids have been changed every 12,000 miles or so (using either Mobil1 75W-90 or more recently, Amsoil 75W-90).

I have read on the forums that frequently changing the ATF does not preclude you from your transmission dying on you. I am living proof. I was hoping that I would be lucky enough to dodge this bullet with this preventive maintenance regime…but no, my transmission is probably on its death bed.

I have debated the “Fix it and sell it” or “Fix it and keep it” and I am leaning towards the latter. I will probably drive the RX into the ground once I get another transmission put in. I am now trying to research where to take my RX to get the transmission replaced. Now I am also thinking, what else needs to be replaced since they are ripping out the transmission? Should I also replace the Rear Main Seal? Maybe the dog bone engine mount?

Thank you for your help in advance.

Try to find a good ATRA shop ( Automatic Transmission Re builder`s Association ) that should put you on the right track, along with making sure it is re built with the up dated parts.
Old 05-14-13, 08:39 AM
salimshah

Received 991 Likes on 896 Posts

I was browsing Sewell and they do offer rebuilt transmission. Give them a call if you need to.

Salim
Old 05-19-13, 06:58 PM
jbl-1985
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by EnzoRX
Update on my transmission woes:
I was going to have the RX towed to a transmission shop by AAA this past Tuesday.
Forgive me for missing it but I cannot see where you mentioned what shop you took your RX to? Do you mind sharing that with the group? Especially if you have had a good experience with the repair. Thanks.
Old 11-13-13, 07:09 PM
mckellyb
Lexus Test Driver

Received 147 Likes on 109 Posts

I hate to resurrect and old thread, but my wife's RX300 did the reverse slam this past Sunday. Hadn't driven but 700 feet, maybe, from one large store to another, and when we went to leave, reverse had nothing. I put it in P, got out, walked around, nothing unusual. Hmmm.

Put it into D, just fine, pulled up to the parking stop thingy. Reverse again...almost imperceptible creeping...I rev it a tiny bit, like to 1,300 RPM, maybe, and SLAM, into gear.

Did it one time. Was fine the rest of the day and for several trips this week.

I'm not yet panicked, but the Cadillac cost me $2K+ this year in transmission fixin'.

I change transmission oil every other Mobil 1 oil change, so every 20K. I'm skeered....
Old 11-14-13, 05:18 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by mckellyb
I hate to resurrect and old thread, but my wife's RX300 did the reverse slam this past Sunday. Hadn't driven but 700 feet, maybe, from one large store to another, and when we went to leave, reverse had nothing. I put it in P, got out, walked around, nothing unusual. Hmmm.

Put it into D, just fine, pulled up to the parking stop thingy. Reverse again...almost imperceptible creeping...I rev it a tiny bit, like to 1,300 RPM, maybe, and SLAM, into gear.

Did it one time. Was fine the rest of the day and for several trips this week.

I'm not yet panicked, but the Cadillac cost me $2K+ this year in transmission fixin'.

I change transmission oil every other Mobil 1 oil change, so every 20K. I'm skeered....
Do a drain and fill for safe measure.

Check the transmission mounts and engine mounts, make sure they are not binding and causing the RX to not go into reverse. Was the shifter smooth when you put it into Reverse?

Last edited by hypervish; 11-14-13 at 05:25 AM.
Old 11-17-13, 03:44 PM
michcar1
Driver School Candidate

great post..........should i do a transmission rebulid as a preventive maintainace on my 2000/RX300/AWD =216,000 or a flush and fill ?
Old 11-20-13, 02:41 AM
GregWeed
Driver School Candidate

Question Should I Replace My Transmission

I have a 2002 Rx300 AWD with towing package. On my last maintance visit I was informed that the rear engine seal is leaking. They want $1600+ to fix it. The car has 105,000 miles on it. We would like to keep it another 10 years.

So, I inquired about swaping out the transmission as well - why pay $1600 just to replace a $20 seal. They want $5,500 with a 3 year 50,000 mile warranty to do both.

I have followed some threads on transmission failure for the Rx300. What percentage of them fail? Is it worth it to replace the transmission or should I just fix the seal and cross my fingers?

Thanks for any helps.
Old 11-20-13, 05:16 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GregWeed
I have a 2002 Rx300 AWD with towing package. On my last maintance visit I was informed that the rear engine seal is leaking. They want $1600+ to fix it. The car has 105,000 miles on it. We would like to keep it another 10 years.

So, I inquired about swaping out the transmission as well - why pay $1600 just to replace a $20 seal. They want $5,500 with a 3 year 50,000 mile warranty to do both.

I have followed some threads on transmission failure for the Rx300. What percentage of them fail? Is it worth it to replace the transmission or should I just fix the seal and cross my fingers?

Thanks for any helps.
Welcome to Club Lexus!

I'm not a big fan of additives myself, but one that has been proven by other members here and on other forums is "Auto-RX". It should theoretically cure the rear main seal leak. I would try that before anything else.

We don't have any raw data on what percentage fails. My uncle has nearly 400k miles on his 99' AWD RX300, I have 202k miles on my 00' AWD. How often do you change the ATF? Does it get burnt?

But, before deciding on whether or not to replace the transmission at the same time, I would try the additive. It has worked for others, and it's cheap enough that you have nothing to loose. This is not one of those additives that will send chunks of crap around the engine, it will slowly dissolve it.
Old 11-20-13, 09:11 AM
GregWeed
Driver School Candidate

Default Auto-RX

Originally Posted by hypervish
I'm not a big fan of additives myself, but one that has been proven by other members here and on other forums is "Auto-RX". It should theoretically cure the rear main seal leak. I would try that before anything else..
I have seen others recommend this additive. If I recall correctly you cannot use it with a synthetic oil. Does using an additive invalidate engine warrenty - we had our engine flushed.

Has you or your uncle had to replace the rear main seal on your Lexus's?
Old 11-20-13, 09:20 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GregWeed
I have seen others recommend this additive. If I recall correctly you cannot use it with a synthetic oil. Does using an additive invalidate engine warrenty - we had our engine flushed.

Has you or your uncle had to replace the rear main seal on your Lexus's?
No, neither of us has had a rear main seal leak. I thought I did a couple years ago, but it turned out to be spillage. lol

Yes, this additive must be used with dino/conventional oil, not synthetic for the time that you run the additive.

I am not sure if adding an additive will void warranty. If you've had your engine replaced before, then they should have replaced the rear main seal then. Aside from that I don't how you would still have warranty.
Old 11-20-13, 10:54 AM
driver1988
Driver

For all of you guys that been through dead transmissions with the RX, are there any signs prior to the failure or do it just die out of nowhere? Mine is at 125k and i'm kinda worried about it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Another dead transmission reporting in