RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

No sound from the audio system

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-13, 04:58 PM
AllBlakLex
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Member, New Problem

Hello all-

My girlfiend has owned a 99 RX for about 6 years now and currently has ~160,XXX on the clock. It has been a great car, but today she got in and the CD player would not work.

I tried to do some searching on the site but did not have any luck on finding info. The screen and all other electronics are still working, and you can still hear the cds loading into the player, but there is no sound. All the factory settings for base/treble/fade/dim are also stuck on zero and will not move either. Radio is also non functional as well.

Anyone have any input? Forgive me if I havent provided enough info, I dont know much about her car mainly because hardly anything ever goes wrong with it! I drive an old BMW 3 series and I am on my forum every other day lookin up new problems haha.

Thanks in advance.
Old 02-13-13, 05:12 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Welcome to Club Lexus!

I don't recall anything like this on here before, so I'd suggest unplugging the battery for a few minutes, and then plugging it back in. That may resolve the issue if this is just a strange gremlin.
Old 02-13-13, 05:25 PM
AllBlakLex
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by hypervish
Welcome to Club Lexus!

I don't recall anything like this on here before, so I'd suggest unplugging the battery for a few minutes, and then plugging it back in. That may resolve the issue if this is just a strange gremlin.
Of course I will have to try that tomorrow morning, its funny how you tend to neglect the simple things that could very well be the problem. Its spending all day trying to fix a lawn mower only to find out it was out of gas.

Thanks for the quick reply.
Old 02-13-13, 09:27 PM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

What about radio and tape?

We need to establish what is bad ... the head unit or the cd-changer.

If things dont come back to normal after power cycle...

Try ejecting the CD cartridge.
There cans be a stuck CD in CD changer (in the glove compartment).

Salim
Old 02-14-13, 06:58 AM
AllBlakLex
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by AllBlakLex
All the factory settings for base/treble/fade/dim are also stuck on zero and will not move either. Radio is also non functional as well.
She did say that the radio would not work either. As for the tape player, I havent even seen a tape in like 10 years lol so I wouldnt be able to test that. I am going to try the battery disconnect after work today and will check the CD changer also.

Will post results this evening.
Old 02-14-13, 07:04 AM
salimshah

looks like the head-unit.

If power cycle does not fix it then check fuses too ... near the left knee of driver.

Salim
Old 02-14-13, 09:26 AM
99rx
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by salimshah
looks like the head-unit.

If power cycle does not fix it then check fuses too ... near the left knee of driver.

Salim
If the fuse was shot, you wouldn't get anything.
Old 02-14-13, 11:14 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Does the amplifier have a fuse? That may be the issue.
Old 02-14-13, 12:53 PM
iolmaster
Racer

Received 180 Likes on 153 Posts
Default No sound from the audio system

I did a search and tried the two cures of taking the two fuses out and disconnecting the battery with out success. The CD carrossel still works moving CDs around and you can eject and load them. However, no sound from the speakers. On day it worked the next it didn't. Any ideas?
Old 02-14-13, 01:47 PM
JAB
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Be sure that you didn't inadvertently hit the 'mute' button. This assumes that you get no sound regardless of source (radio, tape, cd); true?

Last edited by JAB; 02-14-13 at 01:48 PM. Reason: typo
Old 02-14-13, 02:03 PM
salimshah

If it is not the mute, what about radio presets or ability to tune new station etc?

Salim
Old 02-14-13, 02:07 PM
salimshah

Do your climate control functions and display work?

Also tell us if any work has been done in and around center console.

Salim
Old 02-14-13, 04:23 PM
AllBlakLex
Driver School Candidate

Hey guys-

So i tried disconnecting the battery this evening with no luck, i also checked the fuses and could not find anything wrong nor was the cd changer jammed. The entire interior is bone stock, and all the displays on the screen are funcitoning normally. when you press CD you can see the time and track on the screen moving and when you put it on the radio you can see the stations as you scroll through. It seems to be the only thing not working is the actual sound coming out of the speakers.

Any other insight based on this info?

Thanks again everyone.
Old 02-14-13, 04:36 PM
AllBlakLex
Driver School Candidate

I just read the other recent post about the cd player not working and it seems like they are having a similar problem. I wasnt aware of a MUTE button but the g/f says she has tried pressing it a bunch of times with no success. How easy is it to swap out a head unit if that is the culprit? I could easily DIY, but what is the cost of a used one?

Can you even rig up an aftermarket headunit with the way the dash electronics are set up in these cars?
Old 02-14-13, 04:40 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Gazi was selling his old one, as he installed a NAV unit. Not sure if it's sold or not, but here's the link: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/mob...-rx-300-a.html

Alternatively, you could check www.car-part.com, to take a look at local salvage yards and see which one's have the radio in stock.

It is simple to DIY, but I would first test the amplifier. Not sure how to test it, but maybe someone else can shed some light on that.

Quick Reply: No sound from the audio system