RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Super low oil--- another coil problem too?!

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-13, 06:00 PM
99SilvaRX
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Super low oil--- another coil problem too?!

Okay, so here's an issue...

I noticed the check engine light was on during my drive to school, which was only 9 miles. I get to school fine, but my car never shifted out of second gear, so the rpm's were about 4,000.

I take it to the mechanic, explain I think it's another coil, same issue like before- not shifting, weird accelerating. Howevver, this time it was easier to keep running. the last time it wanted to die every time I slowed down.

I noticed when I pulled into the garage that there was a tickng noise.

Tonight, my dad decided to check the oil(He thinks he "knows it all"). Anyways- he said the dipstick was dry. and when he changed the oil there was about 2.5 quarts. The ticking noise is still there.

My concern: could it just be the coil causing the issues? Has anyone else run their oil that low without effing it all up?

I'm hoping I hear good news- I'm a college student and I need this baby to last me another few years!!!

Thank you for your time, I really appreciate it!

Last edited by 99SilvaRX; 01-30-13 at 06:08 PM.
Old 01-30-13, 06:26 PM
99SilvaRX
Driver School Candidate

********** I should add, the mechanic had no time today, so it's going in in the morning. I drove it home.
Old 01-30-13, 07:01 PM
maxSteel
Instructor

Received 240 Likes on 202 Posts

Can't really answer anything here. Have to read the codes to know why the light is on. Might or might not be a coil.

2.5 quarts is pretty low. But ticking noise could be coming from a lot of places.

Good luck.
Old 01-30-13, 07:07 PM
99SilvaRX
Driver School Candidate

Thank you for the reply! It gives me hope that it will be okay!!! My Silva is a trooper! Thank you MaxSteel!
Old 01-31-13, 01:02 AM
code58
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 99SilvaRX
Okay, so here's an issue...

I noticed the check engine light was on during my drive to school, which was only 9 miles. I get to school fine, but my car never shifted out of second gear, so the rpm's were about 4,000.

I take it to the mechanic, explain I think it's another coil, same issue like before- not shifting, weird accelerating. Howevver, this time it was easier to keep running. the last time it wanted to die every time I slowed down.

I noticed when I pulled into the garage that there was a tickng noise.

Tonight, my dad decided to check the oil(He thinks he "knows it all"). Anyways- he said the dipstick was dry. and when he changed the oil there was about 2.5 quarts. The ticking noise is still there.

My concern: could it just be the coil causing the issues? Has anyone else run their oil that low without effing it all up?

I'm hoping I hear good news- I'm a college student and I need this baby to last me another few years!!!

Thank you for your time, I really appreciate it!
I say this kindly, but IF you want this car to last another few years, PLEASE lift the hood and check the oil, each time you fill with gas. It's a very expensive mistake not to. About a $5-8000. mistake at least. We sold my wife's pristine Camry with 59K mi. on it to our grandson for a little over half what it was worth. I had always changed the oil every 3k mi. When we were in Al. for Christmas 2 years ago, I took a look around the car since he was in Fl. for a few days. I pulled the dip stick and there was NOTHING on the stick! There was 9200K mi. on the oil. It had never used more than 1 pint in 3k+ mi. for us. I changed the oil before he returned and drained 1& 1/2 qts. from pan and filter. To say that I was NOT a happy camper is a true understatement! KIDS! To my amazement, it sounded fine. Miracles do happen!

See above: I think your dad knows more than your youthful judgement gives him credit for, quite a bit more!