RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

IACV cleaning attempt

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-13, 08:51 PM
Zeb
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IACV cleaning attempt

For a year now, I have been getting starting issue.

Whenever i start my 2000 RX and turns it off before 5 min or so, after a couple of hours of cool down. My RX will start but once the key is let go, it dies. I notice that if I rev the motor up when starting, The motor will actually start and stalls. This is usually the trend but once it did die on me for no apparently reason.

I thinking this is IACV problem but i'm not too sure. I lurked around the forums and saw the post for cleaning the IACV. Have anyone done this before and how long does it take? how many miles you do guys get until the problems starts up again?

I going to attempt to clean it once springs breaks in or outside temp is 40+ (Minnesota weather is freezing right now -4 with -20 wild chill)

I have only put in a KN filter, maybe that is causing the problem.
Old 01-24-13, 09:18 PM
salimshah

Received 994 Likes on 898 Posts

IACV controls fuel-air mixture to maintain idle.

You can compensate for IACV misbehavior by depressing the gas pedal and the car would die as you lift the foot off the gas. If you see this behavior, clean your IACV. If not look elsewhere.

Is your KN filter dry element? If yes the it is unlikely to cause a problem. It is good to replace the air filter every 30k miles.

If you know what you are doing, you can clean out IACV in 30 mins. If you round off the screws, it will take you much longer.

How often does the IACV need cleaning .. roughly 75k miles (my best guess).

You did not mention if you have a CEL or if your vehicle is maintained well (spark plugs, timing belt, oil changes, quality fuel) and milage.

Salim

Last edited by salimshah; 01-24-13 at 09:23 PM.
Old 01-25-13, 02:23 PM
Zeb
Driver School Candidate

Yep exactly like you said it, if i release the pedal then it dies. Usually i don't have to do that because when i rev it over 3k than it acutally starts.

not sure about my KN, i just bought it from a autozone aren't those just the only one? it's the one that can be cleaned and reusable.

no CEL lights, i'm the second owner and with carfax check it looks like most of the maintenance was done at the dealership. So far I change the spark plugs and oil changes, going to do a belt change in the summer time. I run BP 93 gas most of the time except for when i'm traveling. 104,000 AWD
Old 01-25-13, 03:17 PM
salimshah

Received 994 Likes on 898 Posts

Then a IACV cleanup should fix your problem.

I personally never use re-usable air cleaners and exclusively use OEM cleaner. In your set up, if you use oil on your cleaner, you may have to clean the diode too. Make sure you buy the right kind og cleaner for each use .. throttle body and diode cleaners may not be compatible.

Salim
Old 01-25-13, 03:29 PM
99rx
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

Go ahead and take a whack at cleaning the IACV. I would go in there a couple days before and spray the screws with PB Blaster, because if you strip those brass screws, you're just about screwed... Then go ahead and clean you MAF, with MAF cleaner. And definitely clean out your K&N Filter. MAKE SURE YOU LET IT DRY. If not, you will get oil on the MAF and possibly in the IACV, which will cause problems, more than you are trying to get rid of. While you are in there, clean the throttle body as good as possible too. Report back.
Old 01-25-13, 03:39 PM
RX300CE
Rookie

One important thing remember to tap those brass screws, take your time tap tap tap before you try to take those screws out,don't strip them then everything will be easy .
Old 01-26-13, 12:47 AM
code58
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by RX300CE
One important thing remember to tap those brass screws, take your time tap tap tap before you try to take those screws out,don't strip them then everything will be easy .
They're not actually brass. They're steel with a thin plating to keep them from rusting, but ALL the Japanese hardware is EXTREMELY soft. In addition, steel into pot metal or aluminum tends to "seize". That's why they strip so easy (soft) and when they let go, it's often with a "pop". The best way to get them out without stripping the Phillips is with a pair of needle nose Vise Grips clamped tight on the screw and a quick rap with a small hammer on the vise grip handle. That breaks it loose. The other way is to use an impact driver. The kind you hit with a hammer and the twisting force breaks it loose while applying the pressure on the head. Harbor Freight has them cheap in the smaller size. Also remember, I'm almost certain the Phillips[B][/ is a #3, [U]not a # 2![/U]B]
Old 01-28-13, 05:38 PM
Zeb
Driver School Candidate

Alright, sounds good, will attempt when spring comes around. I just bought a new filter going to switch it back to stock just for the heck of it.

Zeb