RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Installed Backup Camera, Reverse Mirror Monitor Etc PHOTOS

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-12, 11:44 AM
Leines
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installed Backup Camera, Reverse Mirror Monitor Etc PHOTOS

So over the holidays ive been trying to install a backup camera system in my 99 rx.. i started with mounting the camera by my license plate and running the wire thru the lights in the handle area. i ran the wire thru the hatch, along the roof, all the way to the front, then under the headliner to the mirror area., power was tapped using self taping splices into the backup light power. power for the mirror monitor came from a add-a-circuit fuse tap on the cigarette lighter fuse, which i then wired to a override switch. this was all added into my existing A/V system including: 7" Headrest Monitors, 10 Disc Sony DVD changer, and Video Game Port. I wanted to add a powered USB port in my dash for powering my iphone, so while i was inside there, I cleaned up the existing 3in 3out A/V Switcher, and sent the DVD signal up to the Mirror Monitor as well ( i was having trouble playing movies with the remote because i had no monitor in front seats) Since the backup camera video is a override, i can watch my daughters DVD/video game, and when i backup the mirror will auto switch to the back up camera. Here some pics of what i did..
Installed Backup Camera, Reverse Mirror Monitor Etc PHOTOS-oeinf.jpg
Fuse Tap

Installed Backup Camera, Reverse Mirror Monitor Etc PHOTOS-8bvm8.jpg
Reverse Camera

Installed Backup Camera, Reverse Mirror Monitor Etc PHOTOS-bnihd.jpg
Reverse Camera 2

Installed Backup Camera, Reverse Mirror Monitor Etc PHOTOS-edlkj.jpg
Reverse Mirror Monitor

Installed Backup Camera, Reverse Mirror Monitor Etc PHOTOS-6n3v9.jpg
USB Port Install

Installed Backup Camera, Reverse Mirror Monitor Etc PHOTOS-ofjzm.jpg
Headrest Monitors

Last edited by Leines; 12-30-12 at 11:48 AM.
Old 12-30-12, 11:59 AM
Leines
Pole Position

I should add that the mirror monitor i got on ebay for $30 including shipping.. the reverse camera has the parking grid lines and was $15 also on ebay from china
Old 12-30-12, 04:13 PM
99rx
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

Looks good. Would love to see pictures of it on and working.
Unfortunately, looks like you bought the same camera I did... I got mine off Amazon, but looks identical. They seem to have bad seals which cause water and moisture to get in fogging the lens over. And since you are in Canada, I would also worry about the housing and screws rusting with the salt on the roads. All things to keep an eye out for. I will be going back and purchasing the one that mounts on top of the license plate and is made of plastic (nothing to rust), and double sealing it myself.
Other than that, Looks great. Love the monitors too!
Old 12-31-12, 05:02 AM
Leines
Pole Position

It was pretty sunny outside so it was hard to take a pic of the mirrored monitor... but ill try to get some today... i dont know about the camera, its been on the back of my truck for a few weeks now as it was the first thing i installed... it seems to be fine but ill keep you posted on how it works out...

Everything seems to be working flawlessly right now....