RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

DIY-Grom USB Adapter + Bluetooth Dongle Installation

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-15, 03:51 PM
maorsela
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Hypervish for the awesome tutorial!

I got the GROM-BT3 adapter, finally installed it today.

I couldn't take the plug off the CD changer, it's been very cold here in Chicago lately, so I removed the 4 nuts as you showed, and wrestled the plug out, it was tough disconnecting it.

I placed the adapter behind the radio, there's a little cavity there perfect for it.

I also got the aux cable with USB charge, got it out to the cabin through a gap under the glove-box.

Everything works great, audio quality is excellent. The microphone I placed above the rearview mirror, to the left.

It's easy to operate, nice that audio can be skipped forward, just need to get used to it.
Old 01-11-15, 05:36 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

You're welcome! Glad it helped.
Old 01-25-15, 09:00 PM
maxSteel
Instructor

Received 240 Likes on 202 Posts

I installed the BT3 recently in my 99 RX300. I have mixed feelings about it. Comparing it to the experience with my LG bluetooth headset and Iphone 6:

When it connects, my headset says 'connected'. The BT3 doesn't clearly indicate when it is connected. The guide just says it always connects. Except sometimes it doesn't.

Whether or not I am playing music, when I press the call button on my headset, the music is paused, I hear the SIRI tones. If I say "Siri, what time is it" she tells me the time, then the music resumes. With the BT3 the behavior is different when music is on or off. If music is not playing pressing scan twice works like my headset. If music is playing SIRI gets activated but I don't hear her voice. This is especially annoying when voice dialing because without the SIRI announcement you don't know who she's dialing.

The other night I was using my IPhone for navigation and the turn-by-turn announcements were not being heard on the BT3. I was able to receive a phone call and hear that fine, just no voice directions. Later in the drive I started playing music and then I could hear the navigation directions as well.

Today the Iphone said it was connected to the BT3, but I couldn't hear any music over the audio system. Turning car off and on didn't fix it. I told IPhone to forget the GROM bluetooth device, then re-paired, and music started playing over the audio system.

To summarize: When it works I like having music and phone calls through my car stereo. But it works inconsistently and the IPhone connectivity isn't as good as what I get from a headphone costing half as much.
Old 01-26-15, 05:56 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by maxSteel
I installed the BT3 recently in my 99 RX300. I have mixed feelings about it. Comparing it to the experience with my LG bluetooth headset and Iphone 6:

When it connects, my headset says 'connected'. The BT3 doesn't clearly indicate when it is connected. The guide just says it always connects. Except sometimes it doesn't.

Whether or not I am playing music, when I press the call button on my headset, the music is paused, I hear the SIRI tones. If I say "Siri, what time is it" she tells me the time, then the music resumes. With the BT3 the behavior is different when music is on or off. If music is not playing pressing scan twice works like my headset. If music is playing SIRI gets activated but I don't hear her voice. This is especially annoying when voice dialing because without the SIRI announcement you don't know who she's dialing.

The other night I was using my IPhone for navigation and the turn-by-turn announcements were not being heard on the BT3. I was able to receive a phone call and hear that fine, just no voice directions. Later in the drive I started playing music and then I could hear the navigation directions as well.

Today the Iphone said it was connected to the BT3, but I couldn't hear any music over the audio system. Turning car off and on didn't fix it. I told IPhone to forget the GROM bluetooth device, then re-paired, and music started playing over the audio system.

To summarize: When it works I like having music and phone calls through my car stereo. But it works inconsistently and the IPhone connectivity isn't as good as what I get from a headphone costing half as much.
Contact GROM and see if they have a firmware update for that.

I don't have any of those issues, except one. Which is I can't activate Siri, but that isn't an issue, it's not supposed to work with Siri. Well at least not my GROM unit, which is an older unit.

My iPhone connects automatically every single time, never have issues with it.

If there is no firmware update available, ask if they can send you an older unit instead.
Old 01-26-15, 07:35 PM
maxSteel
Instructor

I found this on their web site:
Can I activate iPhone Siri voice control?
You can activate Siri voice control by pressing Scan button twice.
Please note that your phone should not be in Bluetooth audio streaming mode
This seems like a silly limitation. Can't voice dial while listening to music.
GROM-CAR is visible but when trying to pair or connect I get an error
BTD module may go into corrupt mode. Do the following sequence:
1. Enable mode switching state (GROM-FM-GROM)
2. Immediatelly press SCAN button few times
3. There should be tw0 voice beeps confirming full reset
You should be able to select and connect to GROM-CAR now
"Corrupt mode"?? Sounds like a feature
The phone and GROM syncs at times and on other occasions it will not stream audio.
After first turning on stereo/GROM please give the GROM 10-15 seconds to fully sync with bluetooth before hitting play on device.
It would be nice if there was a clear indication of when the full sync was completed.

I think the BT3 software needs work.
Old 03-15-15, 12:38 PM
djeddieo
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

hypervish, I'm getting close to puling the trigger and ordering the Grom gear. Couple of last-minute dumb questions first.

The TOYU3 provides the basic "aux-in" capability to listen to your iPod/iPhone using the CD Changer controls and connection, and the optional Bluetooth dongle not only adds Bluetooth calling but also Bluetooth streaming, rendering the "aux-in" connection somewhat superfluous, no? I guess one might have an iPod and iPhone, the former plugged in for music, the latter BT-paired for calls, no?

You had previously stated somewhere:

Originally Posted by hypervish
you can either buy their optional (expensive) 30 pin cable that plugs into the GROM Unit directly using their proprietary cable which allows the iphone/ipod to charge and be controlled by the radio.
If you use the female USB included, then you need to plug in your male 30 pin cable for your iphone/ipod into that but it will only charge. No audio playback.
Is that still the case? I would think it may be worth it to get the cable that charges while connected for playback. (Of course my iPhone 5S would now require the Lightning connector; probably even more expensive)

Also, a previous poster seemed to state that he had found a way to keep both the CD changer and Grom unit connected, using a switch to select between them. Do you know if that became available? I would think some variation of the C-TOYF - maybe two of them spliced together - would do that trick.

http://www.gromaudio.com/store/grom_...350_99-03.html

Last edited by djeddieo; 03-15-15 at 12:42 PM.
Old 03-17-15, 06:01 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by djeddieo
hypervish, I'm getting close to puling the trigger and ordering the Grom gear. Couple of last-minute dumb questions first.

The TOYU3 provides the basic "aux-in" capability to listen to your iPod/iPhone using the CD Changer controls and connection, and the optional Bluetooth dongle not only adds Bluetooth calling but also Bluetooth streaming, rendering the "aux-in" connection somewhat superfluous, no? I guess one might have an iPod and iPhone, the former plugged in for music, the latter BT-paired for calls, no?

You had previously stated somewhere:

Is that still the case? I would think it may be worth it to get the cable that charges while connected for playback. (Of course my iPhone 5S would now require the Lightning connector; probably even more expensive)

Also, a previous poster seemed to state that he had found a way to keep both the CD changer and Grom unit connected, using a switch to select between them. Do you know if that became available? I would think some variation of the C-TOYF - maybe two of them spliced together - would do that trick.

http://www.gromaudio.com/store/grom_...350_99-03.html
Yes, the unit that I have allows for both bluetooth and AUX-in. I like it because I have a headrest DVD player, so it allows me to plug that into the AUX as the built in FM transmitter in the headrest is awful.

The Bluetooth does do both music and phone calls.

I don't think GROM offers a lightning cable yet for charging, which is disappointing.

There is no way to get both CD player and GROM working, or so it seems. I also thought that two of those wires put together would work, but when I contacted GROM with that idea they shot it down and said that the head-unit didn't support it. I'm not sure I completely believe that, because it seems the other unit that another member bought allowed him to use both. I didn't want to spend the money on the harness and have it go to waste if it didn't work, so I decided it wasn't worth the hassle/money loss.
Old 03-17-15, 08:59 AM
djeddieo
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

....when I contacted GROM with that idea they shot it down and said that the head-unit didn't support it. ....
If the head unit can handle your Bluetooth streaming and headrest DVD player simultaneously I'd say it can handle CD Changer + Aux....

I think I'm gonna add the USB extension that gets "dash-mounted," then I can either plug in a thumb drive full of MP3s or my Lightning power cord.

Last edited by djeddieo; 03-17-15 at 09:34 AM.
Old 04-01-15, 11:52 AM
maxSteel
Instructor

Update on my Grom TOY-B3 experience.

A ticket with Grom audio was opened on Feb 23. They subsequently asked me to update the firmware. Since I installed the thing in an inaccessible place (by the ECU) I moved it to inside the glovebox before doing the update. The update was ineffective.

They next got back to me March 25th but nothing useful.

The main problem is I can't hear voice navigation unless if I am either on a phone call or listening to an audio source. Once the audio source or call is stopped or muted the voice navigation can no longer be heard. This is defective behavior.

An annoyance is the grom 'autoplays' the phone on connection. Their support guy wrote: " Autoplay of Bluetooth is feature that many people ask. You do not like? We are simply make it seamless operation as much as possible. People like this feature. Imagine if you were listening to CD after you exit out the car, next time you enter into the car the CD resumes play of where it left off does it not?

There is a difference between autoplay of a built-in CD player and autoplay your phone. The CD player will not change state between when you leave the care and when you return. The phone is different and there is no way to know what might start playing when you get in your car with your kids.

I responded with this:

The autoplay behavior may not be a defect but I think it is incorrect. I think correct behavior is:

When the grom connects: if the iphone is already playing it should continue playing through the grom.
When the grom disconnects: if the iphone is playing it should stop playing on disconnect
When the head unit switches from CD mode, pause play.
If play was previously paused by the GROM and the head unit switches back to CD mode, resume playing.

As an aside, in my 2005 SIenna I have a USASPEC BT35-TOY, There are no problems with hearing voice navigation, and it works pretty much as described above. It uses voice prompts too, i.e. when it connects it says 'connected'. I hope they fix the Grom software because it's really annoying.
Old 04-01-15, 02:21 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by maxSteel
Update on my Grom TOY-B3 experience.

A ticket with Grom audio was opened on Feb 23. They subsequently asked me to update the firmware. Since I installed the thing in an inaccessible place (by the ECU) I moved it to inside the glovebox before doing the update. The update was ineffective.

They next got back to me March 25th but nothing useful.

The main problem is I can't hear voice navigation unless if I am either on a phone call or listening to an audio source. Once the audio source or call is stopped or muted the voice navigation can no longer be heard. This is defective behavior.

An annoyance is the grom 'autoplays' the phone on connection. Their support guy wrote: " Autoplay of Bluetooth is feature that many people ask. You do not like? We are simply make it seamless operation as much as possible. People like this feature. Imagine if you were listening to CD after you exit out the car, next time you enter into the car the CD resumes play of where it left off does it not?

There is a difference between autoplay of a built-in CD player and autoplay your phone. The CD player will not change state between when you leave the care and when you return. The phone is different and there is no way to know what might start playing when you get in your car with your kids.

I responded with this:

The autoplay behavior may not be a defect but I think it is incorrect. I think correct behavior is:

When the grom connects: if the iphone is already playing it should continue playing through the grom.
When the grom disconnects: if the iphone is playing it should stop playing on disconnect
When the head unit switches from CD mode, pause play.
If play was previously paused by the GROM and the head unit switches back to CD mode, resume playing.

As an aside, in my 2005 SIenna I have a USASPEC BT35-TOY, There are no problems with hearing voice navigation, and it works pretty much as described above. It uses voice prompts too, i.e. when it connects it says 'connected'. I hope they fix the Grom software because it's really annoying.
Sorry to hear you are still having trouble after contacting them.

I like the autoplay feature, keep in mind it will only autoplay when entering the vehicle again if the music app on your iPhone (if applicable) is still in the multitasking bar. If you've completely exited the application (which I often do), then it will not autoplay.
Old 06-02-15, 12:31 PM
jbl-1985
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

All, I've ordered the GROM-BT3 Unit for my '99. I can't remember where I saw it but the manual isn't real clear about when it says something like "remember the radio code". Did anyone have a "code" to re-enter when they hooked up the GROM unit for the first time, and what exactly is the procedure for re-acclimating the radio to the car so that the car will in fact START after you pull the CD cable? Or is there one? I downloaded the pdf manual and it's not written very clear.
Old 06-02-15, 02:59 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jbl-1985
All, I've ordered the GROM-BT3 Unit for my '99. I can't remember where I saw it but the manual isn't real clear about when it says something like "remember the radio code". Did anyone have a "code" to re-enter when they hooked up the GROM unit for the first time, and what exactly is the procedure for re-acclimating the radio to the car so that the car will in fact START after you pull the CD cable? Or is there one? I downloaded the pdf manual and it's not written very clear.
I don't believe the RX300 has a security radio code.
Old 06-02-15, 04:33 PM
jbl-1985
Advanced

I don't believe the RX300 has a security radio code.
I realize it's been a few years since you've installed yours, but I take your comment to mean that you don't remember having to deal with any kind of code with your car?

I remember when I had an older GM car and they came with a default code of 0000 and you had to actually change it to activate the anti theft system, if my memory serves correct.
Old 06-02-15, 04:54 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jbl-1985
I realize it's been a few years since you've installed yours, but I take your comment to mean that you don't remember having to deal with any kind of code with your car?

I remember when I had an older GM car and they came with a default code of 0000 and you had to actually change it to activate the anti theft system, if my memory serves correct.
Correct, I didn't have to mess around with a code. My comment meant to state that the RX does not have a radio that requires a security code. You don't have to worry about that with the 1st gen RX's.
Old 06-02-15, 05:24 PM
jbl-1985
Advanced

Correct, I didn't have to mess around with a code. My comment meant to state that the RX does not have a radio that requires a security code. You don't have to worry about that with the 1st gen RX's.
Thanks. Good to know. Now, do you have any intel on the 2nd generation RX's? I'm thinking I'm going to get one of these units for my 2005 if the one for my 1999 works OK.

Quick Reply: DIY-Grom USB Adapter + Bluetooth Dongle Installation