RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Wife and I buying a 1st gen RX!

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-12, 04:55 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Price is a bit high. I'd shoot for $9k, but all in all sounds like a good deal.
Old 11-11-12, 09:01 AM
LA4Mead
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just me...
The trans will usually shift pretty well until near a failure. I'd still recmnd to pull the trans dipstick with a white paper towel, just to see and smell the current condition (even though they could have changed the fluid recently). Does it happen to have a detailed history that includes previous trans service?

Another thing to check for: a "lazy" power door lock solenoid. When you lock with the remote key, do all locks (incl. liftgate) ALWAYS lock (and a confirmation short beep) or does one sometimes get "lazy" and not lock all the way (sometimes the locked doors will UNLOCK automatically after a few seconds if one fails)... seems like somewhat common failure as they age. Not a cheap dealer repair, not a "fun" DIY. Get them to include replacement in writing if there is a lazy or inoperative solenoid.

The trans cond./history (warrantee?) and if you like the color combo might be worth a few bucks.to you.
Old 11-11-12, 04:45 PM
ChampGS3
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rock-a-Lex
Awesome post, very informative. I appreciate you taking the time to write that!
No problem, you helped me out when I was thinking about headers for the GS.

I read your latest choice of a 2001 AWD. I would be cautious of this year unless its a 06/01 production date or later. Trust me it is difficult to diagnose a transmission that is on the way out and the current ok $$$$ deal you are getting will be completely negated by the need to replace/rebuild one of these transmissions that also runs in the $$$$ range.

I would recommend sticking to a 02 or 03 model. However I did some recent craigslists checks down here in Atl. there surely doesn't seem to be very many in that year range available, plenty of 98-01's though! Good Luck!
Old 11-12-12, 11:39 AM
LA4Mead
Driver

Originally Posted by ChampGS3
...I would recommend sticking to a 02 or 03 model. However I did some recent craigslists checks down here in Atl. there surely doesn't seem to be very many in that year range available, plenty of 98-01's though! Good Luck!
I don't believe there was an '03, just like there was no '98 model year when they were marketed starting in January '98. I thought '03's were called '04's and were the first run of the next gen, making the '02's or '05's and later the safest bet. I think that's what you are getting at.

Of the earlier models that had the the less developed design, many were well maintained and run strong or had a trans failure replaced (hopefully updated rebuild or replace... my '99 was in '04) already. If you find an earlier model you like, just don't get one that needs replacing without a value considering the cost; I've seen reports on forums of people paying $4000 (I don't know how realistic that number is in your area; I think it could bend considerably based on competition and if the vehicle can be driven off or not).

Happy hunting!

P.S. That's a great tip about the production date * 6/01 * for the models with the newer designed transmissions from the factory!
Old 11-12-12, 02:13 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by LA4Mead
I don't believe there was an '03, just like there was no '98 model year when they were marketed starting in January '98. I thought '03's were called '04's and were the first run of the next gen, making the '02's or '05's and later the safest bet. I think that's what you are getting at.

Of the earlier models that had the the less developed design, many were well maintained and run strong or had a trans failure replaced (hopefully updated rebuild or replace... my '99 was in '04) already. If you find an earlier model you like, just don't get one that needs replacing without a value considering the cost; I've seen reports on forums of people paying $4000 (I don't know how realistic that number is in your area; I think it could bend considerably based on competition and if the vehicle can be driven off or not).

Happy hunting!

P.S. That's a great tip about the production date * 6/01 * for the models with the newer designed transmissions from the factory!
There are in fact 2003 RX's, one of my family members owns one.

I honestly am not concerned about the transmission, it will last a long time with proper maint. My uncle has almost 400k miles on his original transmission on his 99' RX AWD. I have 190k miles on my original tranny.

I too would go with an 01' or newer but for different reasons. For example, from 01' on VSC is standard and navigation started that year. They also added cup holders on the rear seat, and a few others things.
Old 11-12-12, 05:12 PM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

You guys are GREAT with the help and responses. I really appreciate it. Ok, this just in...then its decision time. 3 options:

1) buy the RX as-is, install a B&M tranny cooler, do periodic tranny fluid changes with Amsoil ATF and hope for the best.

2) buy the RX and buy an outside extended warranty (a top rated warranty company; does work with Kelly Blue Book and Carfax) that covers all powertrain and a long list of other major items. Coverage is for 5 years or 100k miles but the car must be under 100k before coverage is bought. It is $2,100 and can be paid interest free over 18 mos. A $100 deductible applies.

3) look for another RX.

We really like this one though.
Old 11-12-12, 06:10 PM
Bobster999
Intermediate

Received 26 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Rock-a-Lex
You guys are GREAT with the help and responses. I really appreciate it. Ok, this just in...then its decision time. 3 options:

1) buy the RX as-is, install a B&M tranny cooler, do periodic tranny fluid changes with Amsoil ATF and hope for the best.

2) buy the RX and buy an outside extended warranty (a top rated warranty company; does work with Kelly Blue Book and Carfax) that covers all powertrain and a long list of other major items. Coverage is for 5 years or 100k miles but the car must be under 100k before coverage is bought. It is $2,100 and can be paid interest free over 18 mos. A $100 deductible applies.

3) look for another RX.

We really like this one though.
I recently bought a 99 w/125k miles. I added a trans cooler upfront for under $50 and did 3 drain n fills. The trans shifts like butter and I aint scared.
Old 11-13-12, 03:35 PM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

I think I may go with #1 and take my chances. Those warranty companies are a pita to deal with sometimes. I can just picture paying $2100, them not covering a large claim due to a gray area of the contract.
Old 11-17-12, 06:19 PM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

We picked it up today and we love it! She drives great! I'll post pics up when I can, maybe in a couple of days. I want to detail her better, my way. I have a Christening to go to tomorrow so I can't hook her up just yet...perhaps Wednesday when i'm off. Thanks guys for your comments and advice. I'm sure these RX forums will be just as helpful as my GS forums that i've belonged to for so many years. Cheers!
Old 11-17-12, 06:22 PM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Oh, next weekend i'm going to get my mechanic to do a full run down inspection on her, install my tranny cooler, re-fill tranny with Amsoil ATF and change diff fluid with Royal Purple Max Gear.
Old 11-18-12, 11:44 AM
LA4Mead
Driver

Congrats! I hope you enjoy your "new" car for a long time.