RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Interior fan noise when on upper level setting

Old 10-23-12, 06:50 PM
CharlieH
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Interior fan noise when on upper level setting

I have a 2000 RX 300 with around 162K mileage. When I set the air level to the upper setting, I hear a noise like a vibration. Is this a fan problem or a servo problem. Also, that same noise happens after I turn off the key. Thanks to this forum info, I replaced the cab air filter which was caked with 12 years of dirt. I thought that would solve my vibration or moan noise. Can anyone help me. Thanks, Charlie
Old 10-23-12, 07:36 PM
salimshah

Received 991 Likes on 896 Posts

try removing the filter and see if the noise goes away.

If it does, then there is fitment issue.

Salim
Old 10-23-12, 08:08 PM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

I wonder if you have some leaves or debris stuck in the fan area, or in the vents coming down from in front of the windshield. I would take the filter out and take a flash light and do some looking carefully to see if debris is in there.
Old 10-24-12, 06:10 AM
Bobster999
Intermediate

Received 26 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by thomas1
I wonder if you have some leaves or debris stuck in the fan area, or in the vents coming down from in front of the windshield. I would take the filter out and take a flash light and do some looking carefully to see if debris is in there.
I would have thought this also... but he said it still makes the noise when the key is off. Which means that the fan is not turning. I think thats what he was saying
Old 10-24-12, 08:01 AM
CharlieH
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Salim, Thomas and Bobster. Per your advice, I removed the new cabin air filter, looked around with a flash light and found no obvious debris. The old filter was loaded with pines needles and black soot which I replaced yesterday. The noise still starts when I switch the fan settings to upper and lower from the auto button. It does not make noise when the down level is engaged just the upper alone or upper and lower settings combined. I'm now looking for a long narrow vacuum hose to see if I can vacuum the duct between the fan and the vents above the firewall. Any other ideas would be appreciated.
Charlie
Old 10-29-12, 06:09 PM
CharlieH
Driver School Candidate

Default Interior fan noise when on upper level setting

I have a 2000 RX 300 with 162K miles. I am still trying to diagnose a noise problem coming from the glove box. I hear a whine where I turn on the fan in the upper setting and the combined upper and lower setting, but not in the lower setting. Looked for debris in the air duct but didn't see any. I replaced the cabin air filter. The weird thing is that same noise happens just briefly after I turn off the key. Any ideas what that could be? Does this have something to do with an air servo I've been reading about in this forum?
CharlieH
Old 10-30-12, 09:40 AM
saudiboy
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My fan is loud as well. I have removed the fan and the motor, and it is filthy. Is is possible to remove the fan from motor? There is a clip at the top of the fan, and it may be that after the clip is removed that the fan is held in place by a little plastic tab.
Old 11-05-12, 06:19 AM
CharlieH
Driver School Candidate

Default Fan noise.

Originally Posted by saudiboy
My fan is loud as well. I have removed the fan and the motor, and it is filthy. Is is possible to remove the fan from motor? There is a clip at the top of the fan, and it may be that after the clip is removed that the fan is held in place by a little plastic tab.
I will give that a try. What baffles me is there is a brief fan noise after you turn the key off. Thanks for getting back to me.

Charlie