RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

RX300 won't start, no light on dash board

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-12, 06:59 AM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

The only way to disconnect it is to do what carguy07 said to do. Just disconnect the battery. (negative side)
Old 10-23-12, 08:38 AM
salimshah

Received 994 Likes on 898 Posts

I dont want to sound rude. This is because, it is very hard to gauge the awareness level of the poster. We welcome all (all level of experts) to post. I would bucket myself and most of the members in the enthusiast category [not professional mechanics]. When some one asks for advice, all of us try to help.

I suspect the OP needs hands on help from some one ... a friend or a shop.

The best advise (can be flawed) that I can give is to help OP make the right decision.

So here are my questions:

tatewu: Do you think (not wish) that the problem you are facing is fixable by you with hints from the net?

Do you needs hands on help or you are searching for ideas?

Does your starter spin with jump?

Have you checked all fuses?

Can you or some one check the main fuses in the engine compartment?

Salim
Old 10-24-12, 07:42 AM
tatewu
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by salimshah
I dont want to sound rude. This is because, it is very hard to gauge the awareness level of the poster. We welcome all (all level of experts) to post. I would bucket myself and most of the members in the enthusiast category [not professional mechanics]. When some one asks for advice, all of us try to help.

I suspect the OP needs hands on help from some one ... a friend or a shop.

The best advise (can be flawed) that I can give is to help OP make the right decision.

So here are my questions:

tatewu: Do you think (not wish) that the problem you are facing is fixable by you with hints from the net?

Do you needs hands on help or you are searching for ideas?

Does your starter spin with jump?

Have you checked all fuses?

Can you or some one check the main fuses in the engine compartment?

Salim

I would like to fix it by myself. The car is in the underground parking near LAX and I work in Pasadena. I intend to take metro down to LAX today after work and get my car back.

Right now, starter does not spin with jump, before or after. I don't know how to check fuses ... I guess I can do that by reading the manuel but it is in the car. I am in Pasadena right now.

Yesterday I took a bus to Costco to purchase a battery for RX300 but they don't have the model. Then I walked to Auto Zone and found the battery. However, it is so heavy that I can't carry it.

I went home and joined AAA.

When I get there this evening, I plan to remove the black cable of the battery for few min and put it back it, then try to start the car. If it doesn't work, I probably will call AAA.
Old 10-24-12, 08:03 AM
salimshah

Originally Posted by tatewu
I would like to fix it by myself. The car is in the underground parking near LAX and I work in Pasadena. I intend to take metro down to LAX today after work and get my car back.

Right now, starter does not spin with jump, before or after. I don't know how to check fuses ... I guess I can do that by reading the manuel but it is in the car. I am in Pasadena right now.

Yesterday I took a bus to Costco to purchase a battery for RX300 but they don't have the model. Then I walked to Auto Zone and found the battery. However, it is so heavy that I can't carry it.

I went home and joined AAA.

When I get there this evening, I plan to remove the black cable of the battery for few min and put it back it, then try to start the car. If it doesn't work, I probably will call AAA.
A new battery will not work .. just like the jump does not work.
Joining AAA is a good move as imho you need help.
Be prepared when you call AAA that where would you like your RX to be towed to.

My remote best guess is that main fuse in the engine compartment has been blown by cross wiring during jump.Since you are sure the first jump was not cross-wired [+ to + and - to - and not just the color] so we have to rule this out. BTW the main fuse is bolted in and is unlike the thin pull-out types.

Wish you best of luck and keep us posted.

Salim
Old 10-24-12, 11:04 AM
tatewu
Driver School Candidate

A new battery will not work .. just like the jump does not work.
Joining AAA is a good move as imho you need help.
Be prepared when you call AAA that where would you like your RX to be towed to.

My remote best guess is that main fuse in the engine compartment has been blown by cross wiring during jump.Since you are sure the first jump was not cross-wired [+ to + and - to - and not just the color] so we have to rule this out. BTW the main fuse is bolted in and is unlike the thin pull-out types.

Wish you best of luck and keep us posted.

Salim
Thanks for the details.

If the main fuse is blown, would the headlight and remote key work? Because highlight and remote key work.
Old 10-24-12, 01:05 PM
salimshah

Sorry, I lack the details as to how the main fuse box is wired.

Recently some one posted a link to the electrical diagram. You can go over that.

Once you get past the problems and start the engine with a jump start, you may find the battery is weak (needs a re-charge or replacement). For now you have a bigger problem at hand.

Salim
Old 10-24-12, 03:13 PM
tatewu
Driver School Candidate

Sorry, I lack the details as to how the main fuse box is wired.

Recently some one posted a link to the electrical diagram. You can go over that.

Once you get past the problems and start the engine with a jump start, you may find the battery is weak (needs a re-charge or replacement). For now you have a bigger problem at hand.

Salim
Thanks again. Will give it a try tonight and let everyone know how it goes
Old 10-26-12, 12:44 PM
salimshah

Been a few days ... so where are we now?

Salim
Old 10-28-12, 09:57 AM
tatewu
Driver School Candidate

This is what I post on my Facebook. Acct: Ta-Te Wu tatewu@yahoo.com

Stuck in LAX Hiltion, RX300 wont start. First there was no power and valet brought a jumper. When charging, alarm beeped continously. Later I learned from google how to unlock the alarm, simply by unlock the door with key. Now it charges without alarm beeping but it just wont start, light works too. I turned the ignition key and there is no light on panel. No clicking sound also. Suggestion?

Saving RX300.

Round One. AAA came within 30 min. After 20 min of trying to jump the battery and reset the alarm, failed and called for a backup.

Round Two. Backup came within 10 min and quickly determined it is the bad fuse. Fuse was blown cuz Hilton valet crossed the jumper and burn the fuse. He then made a bridge on the fuse and able to get the dash board light on. However, car does not start.

Round Three. Car is in the underground parking level four. They are calling a third car to tow the car to ground.

Me? Decided to stay in the lobby and wait for them to bring the car to street level. Hungry and tired.

Saving RX300 (cont.)

Round 4. 4th AAA guy came and finally got RX300 out of underground parking. Paid $99 for the parking

Round 5. It is now towed to Alhambra and really don't want to talk about how much I paid.

So in the end ... Saving RX300 is not over because it is not still fixed ...

Saving RX300 (cont.)

Round 6. Call AAA again today to tow it to Longo Lexus. Cuz I only have the basic membership, it can be towed to anywhere within 7 miles without charge. Yes, RX300 made it within 7 mile limit!!!

Round 7. When we arrived, service center is closed and there is no shuttle service and loaner. Before taking the 7 mile walk, the nice AAA tow truck driver Charlie offer me a ride ... all the way back home!!!

Yes, AAA is worth it

Now just have to wait for Longo to call me tomorrow for an estimate ... ready for another heartattack, sigh.

Saving RX300 (cont.)

Round 8. Received a phone called on Friday morning and got an esimate on new battery and fuses. Story didn't end because technicians still need to check the alternator after replacing the battery and fuses.

Round 9. A new and heartbreaking estimate came around early afternoon and if I love my RX300 dearly, I could also take six other friendly advises and change ... seriously? No, not today.

Round 10 the finale. The friendly Longo shuttle came to pick me up in the beautiful Saturday morning, seven miles out ... very friendly isn't it. Arrived Longo and made the payment for release ... I am a Gas payer, once again!

Thank everyone for your suggestion! This is a great forum and I will come back with more questions

Have a great weekend!
Old 10-28-12, 11:31 AM
salimshah

I would go back to LAX Hilton and ask for refund of the extra-days you parked there (under repair) for the cross jump they* provided. If you had flagged a passer bye and did the jump then you have no recourse, but if the jump was provided by LAX Hilton then that is the least they can do for you.

In retrospect, things went down hill from the bad jump.

Reader's Digest Complete Car Care Manual [Hardcover] is a must read for any one. Please buy one for each of your young adult ... before you hand them the keys.

Salim