RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Need help - 2000 RX300 lower timing belt cover

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-12, 03:15 PM
Kauz
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need help - 2000 RX300 lower timing belt cover

All,

I replaced the timing belt on our 2000 RX300 and noticed that the crankshaft pulley had rubbed through the lower timing belt plastic cover. Initially, I thought that it had not been installed properly but once I tried to put it back together I realized that there is something wrong. There is no clearance between the pulley and the lower timing belt cover. There is nothing I can do.

I checked on this site and found that apparently there is a part fitment issue and maybe a recall. But, when I call any Lexus dealership they have no idea what I am talking about.

Please anyone know what's going on? Was the lower timing belt cover redesigned? Is there a new part number? I'm really frustrated and can't get a good answer from the Lexus parts or service departments. The parts don't fit and no one believes me.

Any one can shed some light on this issue?

Thanks
Kauz
Old 10-20-12, 01:33 AM
code58
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I've never personally heard of any problem with fitment. What was the situation with it before you did the belt change? I'm assuming it wasn't worn through before the change so something must not have been put back together properly after the change. Did you fit the lower pulley properly when re-installed? I just can't imagine there being a problem with Lexus, certainly not after 12 years. I'd take it back apart and find out what wasn't re-installed right. It should be obvious to you when you take it back apart. I've had my DIL's off her '99 three times and had no problem at all with fit afterwards.
Old 10-20-12, 07:54 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

I wonder if the belt has walked....or worst the crankshaft bolt is loose and allowing the pulley to walk
Old 10-20-12, 10:01 AM
salimshah

Received 996 Likes on 900 Posts

It was the same cover before the TBelt change? So if the fit was fine before, it should fit fine after assembly.

Typically [I have not done RX t-belt change], the bottom cover is the last cover that comes off. So as you are trying to fix, you must follow the full procedure ,,, remove the upper (side). In other words dont try to force fit the bottom. Working on the SC, I know the clearances are tight.

Salim
Old 10-20-12, 11:38 PM
code58
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by thomas1
I wonder if the belt has walked....or worst the crankshaft bolt is loose and allowing the pulley to walk
Thomas,
From what I remember I believe the lower cogged pulley has a sheet metal guide (washer like) that is held on by the crankshafy pulley that keeps the belt from "walking". It's always possible that the OP didn't torque the crank bolt tight enough, or not at all, just tightened it, in which case the bolt could come loose and let the guide "walk out" and push the cover with it. Whenever I had my DIL's off I used Locktite as well as making sure it was torqued to the 150 lbs. The rotation of the crank combined with "normal" direction of bolt threads (clockwise) WILL allow it to come loose. If I were he I would DEFINITELY take it back apart and find out what was done wrong before he has disaster strike.
Old 10-21-12, 01:04 PM
Kauz
Driver School Candidate

Thank you all for your replies.

I should have been more clear about my post. The pulley had rubbed off on the timing cover before I worked on the car. This was the firt time the timing belt was being changed. When I took out the pulley I saw that it had rubbed through the plastic timing belt cover. Furthermore, when I was putting it togther it was still touching the cover with no clearnace.

I checked with my Toyota dealer and found out that Toyota had a recall on the pulley from the same manufacturer on certain year Avalon, Siena, and Camry cars. I got a copy of the recall.. It says that "the amount of adhesive agent applied between the outer ring and the torsional rubber damper (inner ring) in the crankshaft pulley may be inadequate". They have some photos in the recall for the techs and it looks just like what I see on my RX300.

Again, the symptoms are the same as on my RX300 but my case is not as severe. Also, when I called the Lexus hotline they said my 2000 RX300 was not included in that particular recall. However, they want me to take it to the dealer and then they will tell me if they can give me any assistance or not because my car is 12 years old and has over 150K miles on it.

So, I have no doubt that the pulley has to be replaced. If it comes apart more it could damage the timing belt or the power steering belt and loose power steering which is a safety issue.

Anyways, I'll keep you posted.

-Kauz
Old 10-21-12, 03:47 PM
salimshah

There was a recall on the pulley but not for us [as Lexus pointed out], and it was about constitution and not about dimension. The two bets still need to align so

After that many miles (rotations), the rub must have established the groove and I doubt that the shell will position any other way. You can try getting a new cover, but I would just reuse the old.

Salim
Old 01-06-13, 06:47 AM
Kauz
Driver School Candidate

I know it's been a while since my last post, but here is the update on the timing belt cover.

I took the RX to my Lexus dealership to see if the problem was the recall as I had suspected. The tech took the cover and the crank pulley off. He compared my pulley agaist a new one and we saw no difference between the two. So, it turned out that the pulley was fine and my worries were unfounded. However, he believed that the massive oil leak from the CAM shaft covers had soaked into the timing belt cover and caused it to swell up and therefore rub against the pulley.

I suppose I can accept that explanation, but I will know for sure when I replace the cover with a new one, something which I intend to do when the weather gets a bit warmer.

-Kauz
Old 01-06-13, 07:12 AM
salimshah

Thank you for the update, but why were the bottom cover (existing vs new) not compared? If you had the pulley off, that would have been the right time to replace the cover too.

Salim
Old 01-06-13, 08:14 AM
Kauz
Driver School Candidate

Hi Salim,

I asked them to replace the cover while they had it out but the answer was we don't have the part in stock. Because of the situation (working on my own car) I think they were not very eager to help me out. So, I ended up paying $120 just for the diagnosis labor.

I've never had any good experience at this particular Lexus dealership's service department in Duluth, Georgia. Because of that, if I ever have to take my car in for service I usually take it to my Toyota dealer. But, in this particular case, because of the recall I was told by Lexus that I had to take it to a Lexus dealership for diagnosis. Otherwise, if there was a problem with the pulley, they couldn't help me.

-Kauz
Old 01-06-13, 09:05 AM
salimshah

Dont feel bad, as that is the way shops work ... The labor has to be paid ...

You may discuss it with the service manager to have some of the cost applied to replacement of the part (if you go back to them). A more reasonable solution would have been to leave the vehicle (unbuttoned) with them and get a loaner while they get the part (typically 2 days). I always recommend that owners should ask for options available, and make a decision under no pressure. ... such post the problem on the net ... get more minds working on it. But all of this in Monday morning quarterbacking.

Salim