RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Checking Valve Clearance

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-12, 08:03 AM
jolomo
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Checking Valve Clearance

After acquiring my 2001 RX300 from my daughter, I purchased a Haynes Repair Manual for the RX. The manual has a procedure for checking and adjusting the valve clearance. When, and if, should this be performed?

I use to own Honda and Yamaha motorcycles from the early 80’s that were 4 cylinder DOHC. They both had similar valve/cam arrangements to the RX, shim over bucket design. You had to periodically check the valve clearance and correct the clearance because the clearance would become tighter or smaller and eventually become zero. If the clearance became zero, the cylinder would lose compression and mess up the valve and valve seat. This happened to a friend. I re-shimmed the bad exhaust valve for him, but by then, the damage was done. He had to take it to the dealer for an expensive repair.

Now, I have a 2002 Honda Goldwing motorcycle with 80,000 miles. I check the valves periodically and they just seem to stay in spec but it uses the bucket over shim design.

From my hot rod days, I was used to valves becoming loose and noisy, not tighter. I never understood why those motorcycle valves would become tighter, not loosen up.

What happens to the valve clearance of the RX300? Do they become tighter or looser? How often do they need to be checked? Checking the clearance on the RX300 appears to be a real PITA.

I would appreciate any advice. Thanks, John
Old 09-24-12, 07:53 PM
carguy07
Lexus Champion

Received 73 Likes on 65 Posts

Most guys on here are not checking them at all and are not reporting any issues from it. I'm thinking they should be checked at around 100k, but I am probably in the minority. I will probably have mine checked when I have the timing belt done.