Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Model Forums > RX Models > RX - First Generation
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

RX300 Front Passenger Window - switch or motor?

Old 09-11-12, 03:15 PM   #1
Rodney79
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)

Default RX300 Front Passenger Window - switch or motor?

Problem: Front passenger window stuck down. Won't go back up from either the passenger door switch or the master driver-side controller. When I use either switch I can here a clicking noise coming from the motor. So, I followed the instructions posted by Lexmex (found here: http://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-f...moval-diy.html) and removed the window and motor - very good instructions BTW. To test the motor after I had it removed I reconnected the motor to the power connector and the reconnected the controller switch. At first all I got was a clicking noise from the motor when the switch was pressed. Then I removed the motor from the actuator rails and tried again - this time the motor runs freely every time the switch is pressed. So now I'm cheering that maybe there was just some dirt or something hanging it up... so I reassembled the motor to the actuator and tried again. What I find is that the motor will move the actuator to the "down" position, but will not move when I press the window switch up until I play with the switch for a few minutes - eventually it will move up part way. When I continue to press the switch "up", the actuator moves down! It will go all the way down, then may, or may not move back up as I'm playing with the switch. All this is making me conclude that the motor is OK and the problem is in the controller. Any advice out there?

Update 9/12: I disconnected the driver's side controller and reconnected on the passenger side. Using the driver's side switch, the motor works fine in both directions. However, if I move the driver's side switch back to the driver's side door and try to activate the passenger side window motor - no response at all. In my mind this confirms for me that the problem is not the motor, but the passenger side controller/switch. Any other opinions are welcome.
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!

Last edited by Rodney79; 09-12-12 at 06:32 PM..
Rodney79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-12, 09:12 PM   #2
ng8xzdt
Driver School Candidate

I had the same problem and it turned out to be a bad switch on the passenger side. I bought a replacement switch on eBay and it fixed the problem.
ng8xzdt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-12, 03:20 AM   #3
Rodney79
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for your help!
Old 09-12-12, 06:42 AM   #4
bluebug
Driver School Candidate

Can someone confirm that the "key in driver's door" method of closing all windows doesn't work with a bad window switch? I would think this by-passes the switch but now I'm doubting it.

I replaced my driver's side window motor with a used one but I'm still having problems raising the window. I just hear a clicking noise when using the key method or switch. No problems opening the window.
bluebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-12, 09:49 AM   #5
Rodney79
Driver School Candidate

Quick Update - the problem is in the switch on the passenger door. I have tried to re-flow all the solder joints to the connector pins on the circuit board, but that did not correct the problem. I have found, however, that if I disconnect the passenger side controller, I am able to operate the window from the driver's side master switch, so at least I can raise and lower the window. If I keep the passenger side controller connected, I cannot operate the window from either side. I'm going to give the circuit board one last look and try a few more solder joints before I break down and buy a replacement controller/switch assembly.
Old 04-18-14, 04:27 PM   #6
bobschultz
Driver School Candidate

Rodney, did u have an luck in resoldering the board connections? My issues r similar to what blue bug had.
bobschultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-14, 04:27 PM

Tags
back, door, driver, lexus, panel, passenger, removing, rx300, side, window, window motors, window problem, wont, work, working