RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

RX300 Front Passenger Window - switch or motor?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-15, 11:16 PM
louiskk
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, I have same issue and changed the new motor and switch for passenger side. Unfortunately, the problem still . Meanwhile, Is the problem on the switch or relay at driver side? Please help.....
Old 06-15-15, 07:20 PM
dbarber45
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wish I had come across this thread sooner. I have been plagued with master window switch problem on the driver window side of my 01 Lexus RX300. When the problem first reared its ugly head about 7 months ago I read all of the posts I could find at that time. Eventually, I tried using steps posted by Lexmex to lubricate the rails. I replaced the motor on the driver's side with a rebuilt one from A1Cardone. No response. I then purchased a used master switch from an online salvage yard for $200 and replaced the faulty master switch with the salvage piece. It worked for about 2 months and then I started having issues again. It was always the driver's side window that I had issues with. It would usually go down but you couldn't get it back up. Sometimes it would act like it was going to go up by moving a few inches before it would stop. Then you couldn't get the darn thing to go up or down.
So in my deepest moment of frustration I took the car to a local Toyota dealer and paid them $105 for a diagnostic test. They said that the master switch had a short and that the replacement window motor that I had recently purchased and installed also had a short.
To complete the story.....I purchased a new master switch online for $425 and am having the dealer install it along with a genuine Lexus door motor (which costs $515 thru the dealership) just so I can have the peace of mind of a 12-month warranty if the part (whichever one) fails again.
I may still order the large relay mentioned in this thread and try replacing the part in the 2 unusable master switches I now have. If that turns out to be the problem, I will have two backup master switches......
Old 06-21-15, 12:37 PM
dbarber45
Driver School Candidate

Update: Driver side window as well as all other windows working perfectly after installation of new Master Switch and a new OEM window motor. Wasn't cheap...$425 for switch purchased off ebay from toylexparts and $512 for oem motor ordered thru local Toyota dealership. Then another $220 to have them install motor. Some may ask why pay $220 to have the motor installed (a simple procedure). I wanted the 12 month warranty on the part and labor in case the thing stops working again. I know I still have some exposure if the master switch fails. But since it is a new oem part, I think the risk there is minimal. Happy hunting...
Old 06-23-15, 04:55 PM
OleBob
Driver School Candidate

Default Fixed it

I have had a problem with the passenger window for years. Problem was the window was not going up on command but going down and only going up when it wanted to. I was misled by hearing the relay click on the passenger control when either the master or passenger switch pulled. After reading Lexmus' post, I figured what the hell, I would give it a shoot. Lexmus had stated he had resolved the problem.

Went to Aliexpress and found two sites that offered individual item purchases. Used the Hong Kong vendor, ordered two relays, one for spare. Total was around $12. Received in 20 days via registered mail. Took part to local computer repair site, $60. Total cost $72.

Window is under my control at this time. Initial test good. Days tested 1.

Kudos to Lexmus for providing a post that included a proven cure and not speculation. Most posts on web provide opinion and are not helpful. Thank you Lexmus.

OleBob
Old 06-23-15, 10:44 PM
dbarber45
Driver School Candidate

Could you post the link you used for ordering this relay. I tried the link Lexmex posted and the part is no longer available from that particular vendor. Could not find another vendor. Thanks

Never mind. I found another link on AliExpress using google search.

Last edited by dbarber45; 06-23-15 at 11:39 PM. Reason: Add information
Old 07-24-15, 05:58 PM
GaryGriggs
Driver School Candidate

Smile

Originally Posted by dbarber45
Could you post the link you used for ordering this relay. I tried the link Lexmex posted and the part is no longer available from that particular vendor. Could not find another vendor. Thanks

Never mind. I found another link on AliExpress using google search.
My problem was the relay was sticking. I smacked the relay with my finger and the window UP switch worked immediately. So I was sure it was the relay. While I was in there I pulled the white plastic pins out of the Auto mode as I hate that the auto mode is too sensitive.
So now I can tap up and down they never go auto on me.

I got my relays from the USA in 3 days.
I tried mouser and digi-key and they are out of stock since 2010.
The guy at one of them gave me the number to Lakeland Logistics in NJ.
They had about 550 of them on the floor. Only problem is a $50.00 minimum order. So I bought 6. One for each window and 2 extra to sell. My total was $55.00 and I ordered Monday and they arrived Thursday.
I soldered one into the right front door and problem fixed immediately.
You can contact
Steve at Lakeland Logistics, Inc 300 Fifth St • Belvidere, NJ 07823 (P) (908)475-8282
The part number is CR2-12v
If you only want 1 or 2 I have two to sell to recoup some of the $50 minimum. I will sell one or 2 for $15.00 each + postage. Free postage for 2 and you dont have to wait 4-6 weeks for Aliexpress.
PS, there are panasonic parts.
Old 08-13-15, 11:05 AM
GaryGriggs
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by GaryGriggs
My problem was the relay was sticking. I smacked the relay with my finger and the window UP switch worked immediately. So I was sure it was the relay. While I was in there I pulled the white plastic pins out of the Auto mode as I hate that the auto mode is too sensitive.
So now I can tap up and down they never go auto on me.
About a week after I fixed passenger front the drivers side went bad. I soldered in that relay and it was resolved. Drove to Colorado and back and never had a problem with either front window
Old 08-14-15, 12:19 AM
maxSteel
Instructor

Received 240 Likes on 202 Posts

I thought there had to be some drop-in replacement for this product but I couldn't find one.
This doc says panasonic discontinued it due to decreasing demand.
https://www3.panasonic.biz/ac/e_down...ion_2009-1.pdf

Relays of type cx2 H bridge are available but I found none with the same packaging so you would have to solder wires to the leads. Much better to get an original
Old 08-14-15, 07:30 AM
GaryGriggs
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by maxSteel
I thought there had to be some drop-in replacement for this product but I couldn't find one.
This doc says panasonic discontinued it due to decreasing demand.
https://www3.panasonic.biz/ac/e_down...ion_2009-1.pdf

Relays of type cx2 H bridge are available but I found none with the same packaging so you would have to solder wires to the leads. Much better to get an original
Yea, I called mouser and digikey and was told the same thing. A tech looked at the other relays they carried and it would be a soldering nightmare. Best bet is the original Panasonic Lakeland Logistics has in stock and at $50.00 total for all four doors that is a bargain!
Old 10-13-15, 07:03 AM
Brcobrem
Pit Crew

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

As of today, the AliExpress url is :
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/CR2-1...131536391.html

Price is $3.94 each + $6.32 shipping = $10.26 US

Thanks OleBob for the heads-up on the source for this :-) I have one on the way!

Btw, the USA driver's side window on my 2000 RX300 only stays down maybe once every couple months. I'm still able to get it to go back up by turning off the ignition (while parked of course), starting the vehicle again, opening the door, and closing it just a bit harder than normal (ie. I'm not slamming it trying to damage the door seal, speaker cone foam, or break the glass. Just a little "persuasion" kind of door close does the job for me. That said . . . this morning the Boss suggested that I need to get it fixed.

Regards . . .
Old 12-20-15, 08:47 AM
FixLexus
Driver School Candidate

www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_TzREtzRuU
Old 12-21-15, 12:07 PM
dbarber45
Driver School Candidate

Many thanks for this post and link to youtube video. Although the information has previously been posted regarding this fix, it is always good to see a hands on demonstration of how this can easily be done. I ordered two of this relays back several months ago from AliExpress and have two master driver side switches that I replaced trying to get a driver side window to work before coming across this thread. All of my windows are currently working but I do plan to replace the relays on the non working master power controllers to see if this brings them back to 100 percent operation. Many thanks again to those in this thread who have brought this fix to our attention. It is likely the cause of most (if not all) of the window issues for this older Lexus model.
Old 01-18-16, 12:53 PM
BadBrad358
Driver School Candidate

Guys, I echo what dbarber45 states as this was immensely helpful on here. I've read on Club Lexus a LOT since getting an older RX300 after having kids, but this is my first post.

What I'm inquiring about is if anyone has any more of the CR2-12V relays they'd be willing to sell and ship to me? I'd rather go that route than deal with the sketchiness of getting from China.

Also, to help others I followed Gary Griggs info about Lakeland Logistics and Steve there was really helpful (nice guy) but said he sold out this past summer...obviously when all of you guys were buying these :-)

PLEASE send me a PM if you are willing to work a deal on one of these. Much appreciated!
Old 01-18-16, 01:49 PM
trips1
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Brcobrem
As of today, the AliExpress url is :
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/CR2-1...131536391.html

Price is $3.94 each + $6.32 shipping = $10.26 US

Thanks OleBob for the heads-up on the source for this :-) I have one on the way!

Btw, the USA driver's side window on my 2000 RX300 only stays down maybe once every couple months. I'm still able to get it to go back up by turning off the ignition (while parked of course), starting the vehicle again, opening the door, and closing it just a bit harder than normal (ie. I'm not slamming it trying to damage the door seal, speaker cone foam, or break the glass. Just a little "persuasion" kind of door close does the job for me. That said . . . this morning the Boss suggested that I need to get it fixed.

Regards . . .
Showing as 3.78 with shipping cost of 2.63.
Please can you or someone else reconfirm that this is the right one. The product description on the website lists it as "Size: Miniature" and i specifically noticed the "Large" word in the earlier discussion on this thread.
Once someone confirms that this is the right one then i might also go ahead and just order it even though after a cleanup of the joints with electric cleander my windows seems to be working okay for last 2 months.
Old 01-19-16, 12:04 PM
BadBrad358
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by BadBrad358
Guys, I echo what dbarber45 states as this was immensely helpful on here. I've read on Club Lexus a LOT since getting an older RX300 after having kids, but this is my first post.

What I'm inquiring about is if anyone has any more of the CR2-12V relays they'd be willing to sell and ship to me? I'd rather go that route than deal with the sketchiness of getting from China.

Also, to help others I followed Gary Griggs info about Lakeland Logistics and Steve there was really helpful (nice guy) but said he sold out this past summer...obviously when all of you guys were buying these :-)

PLEASE send me a PM if you are willing to work a deal on one of these. Much appreciated!
Does anyone have one of these relays they're willing to sell? I guess I will go the AliExpress route but happy to deal with someone in the USA first.

Thanks guys again for the good forum and help!

Quick Reply: RX300 Front Passenger Window - switch or motor?