RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Transmission Fluid gray. Need advice.

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-12, 06:29 PM
RX3002001
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Fluid gray. Need advice.

This is a 2001 RX300 AWD. Dealer serviced at 30,000, but they cannot verify if transmission fluid was changed. It has 46,703 miles. I just checked the transmission fluid. It looked grey. I was going to to a drain and refill. Now, I am not sure if having transmission fluid exchanged is a good idea, or will potentially cause more problems. Tomorrow setting up appointment to have Toyota dealership replace the timing belt. Should I have them change out the transmission fluid, or should I just drain and refill using excellent instructions on this site?
Old 09-06-12, 06:49 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

grey huh? sounds odd for such a low mileage... does it seem to drive ok?

might be worthwhile to have it completely exchanged...
Old 09-06-12, 06:56 PM
Lecoultre
Driver School Candidate

This tells you when you should change

2001 RX300 AWD

us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=13162

All you need to know right there
Old 09-06-12, 07:26 PM
RX3002001
Driver School Candidate

I am not the primary driver, but have driven it in past months and it was fine. I was shocked looking at fluid. Last time I checked it had a red color.

I am still undecided on having dealership exchange fluid or not. What would you do? I have 5 quarts of T-IV in the garage and service my own transmission. Seeing the color made me think getting that cruddy looking fluid out of there would be better instead of partial replacement of drain and refill.
Old 09-07-12, 01:42 AM
code58
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Getting it out is a GOOD idea. IF your dealer uses a transmission flush system, that's a BAD idea. I am a firm believer in COMPLETE change of trans. fluid, no matter what the car or truck is. The ONLY way I ever do it on my vehicles is to pull the pan, clean thoroughly and either clean the screen (if so equiped) or change the paper filter (if so equiped). Then fill the trans with 4 qts. of fluid, disconnect the return line and let the pump pump it through into a jug. Do the same thing twice more and ALL the fluid has been changed. Can't stand to put 4 qts. of clean fluid in with 7-8 qts of dirty fluid.
Old 09-07-12, 02:23 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Transmissions flush machines, if used properly aren't all that bad, at least the good ones. I am sure they got a bad rap because back in the day, they weren't as well designed as the ones available today.

The one we use, for example, does just as most people here claim is correct, and that is to allow the transmission to pump out all the old fluid by itself. The difference is that it puts fluid back in the opposite line at the exact same rate that it is pumped out. It is not some power flush, it is just a fluid replacement machine... chemicals are added as well, but the chemicals are designed to suspend any particles in the fluid so they come out with the old fluid.

After learning how a proper transmission flush machine operates, I am now a much bigger fan of them and actually believe they are a safer alternative than incremental drain and fills, as they are actually removing contaminated material, whereas a drain and fill has no chemicals to suspend particles in the fluid, so those particles remain in the transmission...

Obviously, either way, on a contaminated transmission, you run the risk of changing the fluid and then the transmission no longer working period, but IMO that is a chance you should take, within reason...
Old 09-07-12, 02:55 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

The one time I did do a flush on my vehicle was precisely in this situation way back in Dec. 2003 when I was on a trip from Mexico and had it done at the Lexus dealership in Naples, FL...having gray/pinkish fluid and that's the one time that I have been advocating doing it. Vehicle was very smooth afterwards.
Old 09-07-12, 09:22 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by mitsuguy
Transmissions flush machines, if used properly aren't all that bad, at least the good ones. I am sure they got a bad rap because back in the day, they weren't as well designed as the ones available today.

The one we use, for example, does just as most people here claim is correct, and that is to allow the transmission to pump out all the old fluid by itself. The difference is that it puts fluid back in the opposite line at the exact same rate that it is pumped out. It is not some power flush, it is just a fluid replacement machine... chemicals are added as well, but the chemicals are designed to suspend any particles in the fluid so they come out with the old fluid.

After learning how a proper transmission flush machine operates, I am now a much bigger fan of them and actually believe they are a safer alternative than incremental drain and fills, as they are actually removing contaminated material, whereas a drain and fill has no chemicals to suspend particles in the fluid, so those particles remain in the transmission...

Obviously, either way, on a contaminated transmission, you run the risk of changing the fluid and then the transmission no longer working period, but IMO that is a chance you should take, within reason...
I believe the only safe way is to put the machine in exchange mode, using the vehicles pump to transfer fluid, that way the contaminents are not pressured through the valve body ..We have had too many cases of failed trannies on this site after a flush...
Old 09-07-12, 09:24 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by thomas1
I believe the only safe way is to put the machine in exchange mode, using the vehicles pump to transfer fluid, that way the contaminents are pressured through the converter...We have had too many cases of failed trannies on this site after a flush...
That is the only way ours works period... Hopefully gone are the days of pressure flushing transmissions...
Old 09-07-12, 10:26 AM
LA4Mead
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Fluid exchanges are great for ridding old fluid when the condition of the transmission is not in question. But in my opinion (and I am not an expert so please correct me if I am wrong) if the transmission has no recent record of service and some unusual wear is indicated by the condition of the fluid (grey instead of pink or reddish-pink oxidized old fluid) shouldn't the service also include dropping the pan and inspection of the magnets and cleaning the screen or replacing the filter, just as 58 described?
Remember, this isn't a car that gets regular "highway" miles. If you want to keep the tranny going a long time, hasn't it earned tranny "service" as well as all new fluid for an 11 year old?
Old 09-07-12, 11:08 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by LA4Mead
Fluid exchanges are great for ridding old fluid when the condition of the transmission is not in question. But in my opinion (and I am not an expert so please correct me if I am wrong) if the transmission has no recent record of service and some unusual wear is indicated by the condition of the fluid (grey instead of pink or reddish-pink oxidized old fluid) shouldn't the service also include dropping the pan and inspection of the magnets and cleaning the screen or replacing the filter, just as 58 described?
Remember, this isn't a car that gets regular "highway" miles. If you want to keep the tranny going a long time, hasn't it earned tranny "service" as well as all new fluid for an 11 year old?

100% agree!! ^^^^^
Old 09-07-12, 11:58 AM
vietalogy
Rookie

I've had my transmission flushed at Toyota few months ago and I have no problems. I have a 99 RX with at the time about 120k miles.
Old 09-07-12, 12:23 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Hey, MonkeyMan, aka RX3002001,

Fluid exchange should be safe, as long as you are using the vehicles own pump to get the fluid out. Multiple drain and fills would do the same thing, which is the route I would take if I were you.
Old 09-07-12, 02:38 PM
RX3002001
Driver School Candidate

Yes, hypervish, I am MonkeyMan....

The Lexus will be taken to the local Toyota dealership 7 am tomorrow. T-Belt will be $450.00. Transmission fluid exchange will be $199.99. It was going to be double that at Lexus, but they do install a water pump and do the 45,000 mile service.

I am hearing what everyone is saying. This is not my vehicle and when I recently mentioned having transmission fluid changed she said she did not want to go looking for trouble. She has no idea what a timing belt is or why you need more regular transmission service. To her, if it says Lexus then it is perfect. So getting here to change T-Belt and transmission fluid is a step in the right direction. There is a local indy transmission shop I have used. I was thinking of the next step having them drop the pan, etc. to ensure the transmssion has the best chance for survival.

Yesterday the owner called me all stressed out saying the car was leaking oil. She wanted to take it to Lexus to have them check it. It was water from A/C drain below the car. I saved her some time and money.

I will do my best to convice her to get her transmssion pan dropped and things serviced. The grey looking fluid has me worried. I have never seen anything like it.

Last, this is a great site. The tutorials and other info is extremely helpful. I really appreciate all the input.
Old 09-08-12, 12:25 AM
code58
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by RX3002001
Yes, hypervish, I am MonkeyMan....

The Lexus will be taken to the local Toyota dealership 7 am tomorrow. T-Belt will be $450.00. Transmission fluid exchange will be $199.99. It was going to be double that at Lexus, but they do install a water pump and do the 45,000 mile service.

I am hearing what everyone is saying. This is not my vehicle and when I recently mentioned having transmission fluid changed she said she did not want to go looking for trouble. She has no idea what a timing belt is or why you need more regular transmission service. To her, if it says Lexus then it is perfect. So getting here to change T-Belt and transmission fluid is a step in the right direction. There is a local indy transmission shop I have used. I was thinking of the next step having them drop the pan, etc. to ensure the transmssion has the best chance for survival.

Yesterday the owner called me all stressed out saying the car was leaking oil. She wanted to take it to Lexus to have them check it. It was water from A/C drain below the car. I saved her some time and money.

I will do my best to convice her to get her transmssion pan dropped and things serviced. The grey looking fluid has me worried. I have never seen anything like it.

Last, this is a great site. The tutorials and other info is extremely helpful. I really appreciate all the input.
Monkeyman? That's quite a handle. Concerning the gray fluid- that is totally common with these transmissions. I have serviced AT's all my life and I've never seen gray fluid like that either. Nasty, but not gray. Thomas has said that the planetary is the weak link, being made of aluminum and the original only having 4 gears. Anyone who have ever worked with aluminum knows that it produces volumes of GRAY "dirt" or "sludge" and I think that's where a lot, if not most all of the gray comes from. Whether it's the excessive wear because of only 4 gears or the particular alloy, I don't know, but I do think that's the main culprit.

Quick Reply: Transmission Fluid gray. Need advice.