RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

DIY Radio Antenna Mast

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-12, 02:45 PM
sfsilvrspt
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just finished replacing the antenna in wife's RX using these instructions. Took about 45 minutes having never done it before. Thanks Lexmex for a great procedure write-up and the pictures made it all pretty easy.

Next stop, repairing master door switch. Thanks again, SFSS
Old 10-16-12, 02:45 PM
swheelwrig
Driver School Candidate

thanks, great job
Old 10-17-12, 09:03 PM
imherenow
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

i have started to hear screeching noise when the antenna goes up or down. So i just greased the rod (haha that sounds dirty)..so now its much smoother. I was thinking of dis-assembling the whole thing but lubricating it worked like a charm.
Old 11-13-12, 10:56 AM
Dadikins
Pole Position

So i just greased the rod
I've had problems with mine for the past few years, but only during the colder (40-degrees or below) weather. I've used WD40, white lithium grease, and even PB Blaster (not at the same time) to try to remedy the issue. It works for a few days, then it needs to be done again.

Just wondering what type of grease is best to use?

Just to reiterate - no issues when temperature is above 40-degrees or so.
Old 11-13-12, 11:50 AM
saudiboy
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by imherenow
i have started to hear screeching noise when the antenna goes up or down. So i just greased the rod (haha that sounds dirty)..so now its much smoother. I was thinking of dis-assembling the whole thing but lubricating it worked like a charm.
I think it helps if you remember to wipe as well. If you retract and raise the mast several times, hitting it with WD-40 and wiping each go you remove a lot of grime. I do it every 3 or 4 months and it always gets my mast back to full staff.
Old 11-24-12, 09:34 AM
Jonnybob
Driver School Candidate

Lexmex, great pictorial. It let me know exactly what to look for.

I did have have one issue. After installing the new mast, it would not go all the way down. I had about 4" sticking out. I took the mast in and out several times before I realized the white plastic drive belt of the new generic ebay mast was significantly longer than the original. I clipped off 6" and it worked great. BTW I paid $14/delivered for the part.
Old 12-26-12, 07:47 AM
davidyal
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great DIY.

I removed my mast (in good condition) and saw that there is only 4 inches of white track remaning when fully extended. I'm guessing that it is likely that part of the track broke off inside the motor.

I'm going to open up and check the motor later this week, but figured I can get a head start and order the new part right away.

Is the track a seperate piece? or do I just order a new antenna assembly?
Old 12-26-12, 09:50 AM
salimshah

Received 992 Likes on 897 Posts

Plastic track is part of the antenna (metal sections)

Salim
Old 01-09-13, 09:15 PM
TriniLex
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Good job on the write up.
I also found this video which may help
Old 01-10-13, 03:52 AM
carguy07
Lexus Champion

Received 73 Likes on 65 Posts

Nice video, thanks I need to do this soon too. Funny to see a "pro" using needle nose pliers and not knowing the difference between a nut and a bolt.
Old 02-01-13, 04:35 PM
lexrally
Rookie

My antenna got stuck, took it apart (thanks to this DIY) and discovered the wire broke. I pulled it out of the
motor wheel, and went to Lexus to get an OEM antenna mast for $100. Everything went well, I had 2 issues though, I did not disconnect the battery, subsequently, when I used a needle nose to remove the electrical connector from the motor housing, I shorted the fuse and it blew. The fuse is located behined the coin box near the driver left leg near the dashboard. It was a 7.5 amp fuse, I bought one at Autozone. Second issue was trying to get the mast wire to catch when the radio was turned off and the antenna motor was trying to pull it in. You really have to jiggle it in there and use some pressure to get it too catch. At first I started thinking I did not put the motor assembly back together correctly, but that was not the case, just needed to jiggle it int there with a little push.
Old 05-30-13, 03:42 PM
mizak82
Rookie

I guess this is pretty common especially for a 12 year old car... great write up though.. took me about an hour to do.. I bought an antenna for 20 bucks off ebay.. Id consider this a success.. thanks..
Old 06-07-13, 06:16 PM
justagirl
Driver School Candidate

Default Totally confused now :(

Hey Everyone,
I just "struck on my own" and am trying to be independent! First thing I did on my own (sorta) was buy my Dads 99 RX300. I knew the antenna was broken & had researched the DIY's on replacing the antenna mast and/or replacing the antenna motor. Yea me didn't look too hard to do the mast. Thanks to Mechanic Bob!
Went outside in my PJ's with needle nose pliers and proceeded to remove the antenna mast. Yea me again!
I saw that quite a bit of the white plastic "cord" was left hanging and thought "Cool, its just the bent metal part!!! no messing with the antenna motor!! I CAN do this
Came in and got on-line to go find auto parts store that had one in stock. Okay, so when O'Reilly's on-line says "Electric Antenna" it doesn't always mean its a retractable PWR antenna.
Oh I guess the price of 12.99 should addressed that Alrighty then, called a Luxury Vehicle Repair/Parts Shop. Yep they had the antenna mast both the metal outside part and the plastic "cord" 35.00...okay not bad but seemed still to easy and inexpensive from the info I had gotten when I creeped the pgs of this site & internet. Wanted to know how long the white plastic "cord" part should be if it actually is the correct part-not purchased from the Lexus "OMG I am not trying to buy the whole car!" Dealership. He responded "match the length with the old one" okay I am a Girl not a complete DUH!! I just have limited funds and don't really know if I can do the antenna motor part of this adventure. Didn't want to get half way thru and 40.00 bucks into it if I was just gonna have to admit defeat and drive around with NO antenna or suck it up and ask a Man for help? Just give me the length so I know if I should get further into it..
Response was "Don't know"
Well Sir, I have this much on mine can you take guess by looking at the one in your hand? Again, "Measure it to the old one".
Okay, Okay!!! Dude, do you know my EX??
Back to creeping the forum/internet to see if there was a length to KNOW. Couldn't find info. Got dressed, went to Shop/Part place. Dang!! Forgot the length of old one ..umm it looks about the same tho. 40.00 and 2.5 hours (remember I am a girl) later got home dropped all my stuff ran inside to-Measure it to the old one" got into an argument with myself on where to measure from base of metal "Sleeve"? Can't do tip to bottom cuz the old one won't go all the way down uncoiled new one, after no one won the argument (I am giving myself the silent treatment.) and realized that plastic "cord" when coiled up is very decieving
Sorry Parts Guy. Now I am stuck in the middle of this nightmare!!! Determined to not give in so easily. Gonna hunt down a Phillips Screwdriver and a 10mm Wrench.
What did I learn??
1. Don't roll your eyeballs at the Guy on the other end of the phone. Karma
2. Somethings just aren't black and white in a Mans world.
3. That the length of a BRAND NEW LEXUS ANTENNA MAST IS......From very tip of metal outside part to the end of the VERY hard to measure white plastic "cord" should be approx 52 inches.
Okay give me a shot of Whipped Cream Vodka, my screwdrivers and wrench. I am headed back out there.
Wait I need 10ft of PVC Pipe!!!

If I conquer this I may try Reprogramming my Key Fob!! Remember Baby Steps
Updates to follow

No Gender Offense was intended in the above written message.
Old 06-10-13, 08:10 AM
justagirl
Driver School Candidate

Default Update on RX300 Antenna replacement

So the outcome of my adventure in replacing my Antenna by myself is......

I DID IT!!!!

It took me so long to post results because I had to drive around to show anybody who would listen i.e. Perfect Strangers my success!
The DYI was with me the whole way. Thanks so much for the pics.

The plastic "Screws/Clips if never removed were hard to get out and scared me. But I DID IT!!!
THANKS to all of you Members that post these kinda of pictures!
Old 01-07-14, 09:22 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Is it possible for the old antenna nylon cable to get stuck in the vertical part of the antenna motor?

I went ahead and pulled the motor out and removed the cable that was stuck inside. Put it all back together, and waited for UPS to show up with my antenna. Once I received the antenna I tried to install it but the motor just will not suck it down. I tried with the teeth facing the front of the vehicle.

I finally took a flashlight and looked down the hole and I see what looks to be some of the nylon cable left behind by the old antenna. It's hard to tell, it may just be the gears that are supposed to pull down antenna. Not sure.

If there is some of the cable left there what is the best way to retrieve it?

Quick Reply: DIY Radio Antenna Mast