RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Faster? Off-Road?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-12, 01:37 PM
ecoastkid
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Faster? Off-Road?

ok...seriously....Does anyone around here make these things faster? How about take them somewhere a little more off road then the on the grass parking at the local polo match? This place cant be all sweater vests and loud mouth golf pants can it?...lol
Old 06-07-12, 01:51 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Lexmex has made quite a few modifications for performance. Look at his past threads. But keep in mind the RX isn't made to be fast. It's a crossover, if you want the RX to drive like a sport's car it's not going to happen.

The RX is capable of driving off road, I've done it multiple times. Just make sure their is enough ground clearance for whatever you are planning on doing.

BTW: You should add a few more lol's to the post, if you don't want to sound offensive. Just saying'...
Old 06-07-12, 03:40 PM
99rx
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

^+1
I am a 19 year old. So no I'm not a sweater vest wearing, golf pants kinda guy. If you look around on the road, you can clearly see that the RX is an all age range kind of car. Now the LS or GS on the other hand.... haha. But, IMO, you will not get this thing to go very fast. Transmissions on these can only hold so much. You want to go fast in an SUV, go get a Porsche Cayenne or something of that nature.
Old 06-07-12, 03:59 PM
carguy07
Lexus Champion

Received 73 Likes on 65 Posts

It would cost thousands to make these cars perform like the average rental car. Break ground if you're up for it and let us all know when you can run down a Ford Taurus.

Last edited by carguy07; 06-25-12 at 04:41 PM.
Old 06-08-12, 12:10 PM
ecoastkid
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by hypervish
Lexmex has made quite a few modifications for performance. Look at his past threads. But keep in mind the RX isn't made to be fast. It's a crossover, if you want the RX to drive like a sport's car it's not going to happen.

The RX is capable of driving off road, I've done it multiple times. Just make sure their is enough ground clearance for whatever you are planning on doing.

BTW: You should add a few more lol's to the post, if you don't want to sound offensive. Just saying'...
I will search out Lexmex's threads to see what he has accomplished. Thanks for that. As for not being made to be fast? Not much is...but there is alot of fun in trying. Some times you succeed sometimes you dont.

One other thing...You think I was trying to add lol so I wouldn't sound offensive? 1. I was just being light hearted and trying to express that. 2. If someone is offended by what I wrote, they need to turn down the sentitivity just a wee bit and 3. Although its never my intention to offend, I dont really give a rip if someone is offended by such a minor bit of teasing...Just saying

Originally Posted by 99rx
^+1
I am a 19 year old. So no I'm not a sweater vest wearing, golf pants kinda guy. If you look around on the road, you can clearly see that the RX is an all age range kind of car. Now the LS or GS on the other hand.... haha. But, IMO, you will not get this thing to go very fast. Transmissions on these can only hold so much. You want to go fast in an SUV, go get a Porsche Cayenne or something of that nature.
I agree that the RX isn't a one age kind of ride, I was just poking a bit of fun at the lexus image. Heck, one of my cars is a lincoln so you can imagine what I get..haha

I'm a car/truck enthusist so I like to see what people do to them in general. Perhaps there is an idea or technique here that I can use elsewhere...who knows. I like to see how people push any platform.

Originally Posted by carguy07
I would cost thousands to make these cars perform like the average rental car. Break ground if you're up for it and let us all know when you can run down a Ford Taurus.
You dont happen to be an accountant do you?..lol (oh wait...I dont think I'm allowed to type lol..hmmm)
Old 06-08-12, 05:59 PM
uw234
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ecoastkid
ok...seriously....Does anyone around here make these things faster? How about take them somewhere a little more off road then the on the grass parking at the local polo match? This place cant be all sweater vests and loud mouth golf pants can it?...lol
I think I took it over some gravel by my house one time...i also may have purposely cut a corner by my house to off road over a patch of grass...
Old 06-08-12, 06:37 PM
carguy07
Lexus Champion

Received 73 Likes on 65 Posts

Faster? check.
Off-Road? check.
Budget? check.
Winner!

Old 06-08-12, 07:09 PM
mckellyb
Lexus Test Driver

Received 147 Likes on 109 Posts

I've had my wife's off-road in Colorado to the point the RR wheel was in the air. Didn't have a camera handy, and at that point, I wasn't about to stop, anyway.

I told her, when she tires of it, I'm making an off-road machine out of it. Already has BFG A/T's on it.

The VSC is actually quite amazing in how well it works off-road.
Old 06-11-12, 09:32 AM
ecoastkid
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by carguy07
Faster? check.
Off-Road? check.
Budget? check.
Winner!
LOL...Definate Win!

Originally Posted by mckellyb
I've had my wife's off-road in Colorado to the point the RR wheel was in the air. Didn't have a camera handy, and at that point, I wasn't about to stop, anyway.

I told her, when she tires of it, I'm making an off-road machine out of it. Already has BFG A/T's on it.

The VSC is actually quite amazing in how well it works off-road.
That would be cool to see. What type of terain was it? Rocky, mudding, etc?
Old 06-12-12, 03:52 AM
mckellyb
Lexus Test Driver

Received 147 Likes on 109 Posts

Rocky. Front-range of the Rocky Mountains.

We were looking at some property, so decided to explore it by wheel versus foot. It was cool.
Old 06-12-12, 07:35 AM
ecoastkid
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mckellyb
Rocky. Front-range of the Rocky Mountains.

We were looking at some property, so decided to explore it by wheel versus foot. It was cool.
Cool. Sounds like a good time.
Old 06-12-12, 10:21 AM
RXdriver11
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 99rx
^+1
I agree with the kid (99rx).. thats why I went out and bought the Cayenne lol
Old 06-12-12, 11:24 AM
ecoastkid
Driver School Candidate

Not for nothing..lol

I have some experiance taking oddball vehicles and making them do what they shouldn't...

Old 06-12-12, 04:38 PM
RXdriver11
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Whats odd ball about a Lightning on a track?
Old 06-13-12, 07:07 AM
ecoastkid
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RXdriver11
Whats odd ball about a Lightning on a track?
Trust me its not very common. I have other drivers, instructors, and others coming up to me all the time because they can't believe it does as well as it does....I love the "wheres the gun rack" and "do you have a lawnmower in the back" comments..haha. The funniest comments are from BMW drivers how ever. One guy raised his hand in the class and said "can you not pass me? I dont want to have to go tell my family that"...I lol'd

Anyway...is it completely unheard of? no. but it doesnt happen alot and I have a blast doing it because its differnt. Thats why I asked what people have done to their rx300's. It is a "Sport" utility vechicle after all.

Quick Reply: Faster? Off-Road?