RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Bluetooth Interface feedback: BT35-TOY

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-12, 12:14 PM
MilesE
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bluetooth Interface feedback: BT35-TOY

I've been lurking in this forum for awhile and I've received a ton of useful information. So, here is my first attempt to contribute.

Since I have to remove the glove box to replace the Mode servo, I thought this would be a good time to install and try out the bluetooth interface from USASPEC, the BT35-TOY. I ordered it and the adapter cable (CAS-TLC) from Crutchfield.

Installation: Installation was not complicated as removing the radio was not necessary (wish I had known that before I went through the trouble of removing it!
Step 1: Remove the glovebox and cd changer (search for other threads on how to do this),
Step 2: Connect the adapter cable (CAS-TLC) to the cd changer cable, connect the adapter cable to the supplied interface cable (CAS-TY35), then, connect the interface cable to the device. Also, plug in the mic cable to the device.

Once I started my vehicle, my phone immediate recognized it and I was able to pair and connect without a problem.

My initial thoughts: I've had this installed for only 2 days and I must say that I really like this device.

Pros: Sound quality. The sound quality when playing music, in my opinion, is great - very clear. The sound quality when making calls is good as well. My wife said she could hear me clearly as well. But, true audiophiles may disagree with me.

Pauses music when receiving a phone call. Even if the radio is off, it will automatically turn on when a phone call is received (only device that I know of that does this). You can use the seek buttons to answer and reject calls as well as change songs. It will announce the caller id (which I found a little annoying) but you can disable that as well. Can stream audio from other apps like Pandora.

Cons: Wish it had aux input as it is bluetooth only. I also wish there was a way to have both the CD changer and this device at the same time.

I now need to figure out the best way to route the microphone to the headliner near the sunglasses holder. Any suggestions?
Old 04-19-12, 06:26 PM
bob2200
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by MilesE
I now need to figure out the best way to route the microphone to the headliner near the sunglasses holder. Any suggestions?
I routed my XM satelite radio antenna cable in that direction and it was quite easy. It has been a few years, but as I recall, the molding along the window pillar pops off easily and it is an easy routing from the CD-changer area up to the sunglass holder.
Old 04-19-12, 08:05 PM
maxSteel
Instructor

Received 240 Likes on 202 Posts

I installed a BT-35 in my wife's Toyota minivan. She loves the thing.
Old 04-20-12, 05:34 AM
MilesE
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bob2200
I routed my XM satelite radio antenna cable in that direction and it was quite easy. It has been a few years, but as I recall, the molding along the window pillar pops off easily and it is an easy routing from the CD-changer area up to the sunglass holder.
Thanks, I'll try that.
Old 04-21-12, 11:29 AM
brianw13a
Driver School Candidate

Just completed my installation myself. This unit is better than I expected. Bob is right about running the wire - it's pretty easy. I just popped off the speaker cover, then the window pillar and ran the wire. The roughest part was was running the wire along the top. A couple of small screw drivers did the trick - one to pull the top down a little and the other to push in the wire. Once the first piece is in it's just a matter of pushing in the next section of wire.

So anyway, I've heard rumors about being able to turn the voice and and off but I have yet to see any documentation. I'm assuming that the usb connector has something to do with it. How does one go about turning off the voice? Thanks!
Old 04-22-12, 01:05 PM
MilesE
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by brianw13a
Just completed my installation myself. This unit is better than I expected. Bob is right about running the wire - it's pretty easy. I just popped off the speaker cover, then the window pillar and ran the wire. The roughest part was was running the wire along the top. A couple of small screw drivers did the trick - one to pull the top down a little and the other to push in the wire. Once the first piece is in it's just a matter of pushing in the next section of wire.

So anyway, I've heard rumors about being able to turn the voice and and off but I have yet to see any documentation. I'm assuming that the usb connector has something to do with it. How does one go about turning off the voice? Thanks!
You turn the voice prompt off by pressing the scan button on your radio. You should hear a prompt "Voice Enabled" or "Voice Disabled". I called USASPEC about the mini usb connector. They said it was only for their troubleshooting. I'll try your suggestion about running the mic wire.
Old 04-22-12, 03:42 PM
gazi001
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That's great product.
Old 06-30-12, 01:33 PM
mowliv
Driver School Candidate

Default Conflict w/CD changer?

Cons: Wish it had aux input as it is bluetooth only. I also wish there was a way to have both the CD changer and this device at the same time.
MilesE - thanks for the great write-up! Just one Q - what do you mean about having a way to have both CD changer and this device at same time? What is the issue? If you are playing the CD changer, will calls come in?
Old 07-03-12, 04:50 AM
MilesE
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mowliv
MilesE - thanks for the great write-up! Just one Q - what do you mean about having a way to have both CD changer and this device at same time? What is the issue? If you are playing the CD changer, will calls come in?
In order to install this product, you have to disconnect the cd changer. After you connect the device, when you press the CD button on your radio it will play audio/music from you bluetooth device. If you are playing music via bluetooth or from the radio, when a call comes in, the audio will switch to your phone.

My thought was that it would be nice to be able to still have the cd changer. But, I rarely used the cd changer anymore so it's not a big loss.
Old 07-03-12, 01:16 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

I'm going to buy the BT35-Toy for my ES300. I need to order the CAS-LEX cable for that car. I'm still not convinced that the audio quality for music will be good though, because bluetooth isn't for high quality music. I don't really plan on using it to make phone calls, but I like the functionality nonetheless. I'm going to do some more research on the music audio quality aspect of the BT35-Toy.

Thanks, for the review! I wasn't sure if it was a good product, but from what it sounds like it work's perfect! I thought about installing an iSimple IS77 (which I have installed on my RX), but I want to try something new, and would love to be able to connect to the car via bluetooth.

Last edited by hypervish; 07-03-12 at 01:21 PM.
Old 07-03-12, 07:33 PM
mowliv
Driver School Candidate

In order to install this product, you have to disconnect the cd changer.
Ouch. OK, that's good to know. Thought it would work with the cd changer. Thanks for the info, Miles.
Old 07-27-12, 10:20 AM
mowliv
Driver School Candidate

Default CD changer actually works w/it

Ouch. OK, that's good to know. Thought it would work with the cd changer. Thanks for the info, Miles.
To follow up - this is untrue. I had this installed on our 2008 RX350 and the CD changer is fully accessible. I had brought feedback from Miles to the installer, and they contacted manufacturer who confirmed it wouldn't be an issue.

Very happy with the BT35-TOY - responsive in under 1/2 second to track change, on/off, etc.

Only quibble is that it can't recognize which of two iphones is in the car and connect to it. It gets in a groove with one, and if that one isn't there it doesn't conenct to the other until you go and manually connect from the phone. Then it stays married to that one until you do same w/other phone.
Old 08-07-12, 12:02 PM
MilesE
Driver School Candidate

To follow up - this is untrue. I had this installed on our 2008 RX350 and the CD changer is fully accessible. I had brought feedback from Miles to the installer, and they contacted manufacturer who confirmed it wouldn't be an issue.
I will have to respectfully disagree. I installed this in a first gen (2000) RX300 and you installed this in a 2008 RX350 - two very different vehicles. I also emailed the manufacturer and they confirmed that for my vehicle (again a 2000 RX300 with an external CD changer), you have to disconnect the cd changer.
Old 08-12-12, 07:56 PM
mowliv
Driver School Candidate

I will have to respectfully disagree. I installed this in a first gen (2000) RX300 and you installed this in a 2008 RX350 - two very different vehicles. I also emailed the manufacturer and they confirmed that for my vehicle (again a 2000 RX300 with an external CD changer), you have to disconnect the cd changer.
OK, so YMMV - may work with CD player based on year. Good for others to know. Thanks.
Old 10-08-12, 09:09 AM
saudiboy
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So, there is no bluetooth device available for the RX300 that doesn't result in a loss of the cd changer? If you swap out the cd changer for a more recent model, this isn't the case?

Quick Reply: Bluetooth Interface feedback: BT35-TOY