RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Transmission Fluid Replacement Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-12, 07:41 AM
fyremaster
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Fluid Replacement Question

Hello,

I repalced the transmission fluid (drain and refill only) over the weekend. I measured carefully when I drained and just under 4qt came out.

I have the AWD 1999 version.

I then added just under 4qt thru the dipstick and the level shows about an inch above the hot full mark. I thought that it just needed to settle and disperse out but after driving a short distance it still shows over the fill line quite a bit.

Am I just being paranoid or should I try to drain some of the fluid out to make sure I don't blow the seals? I am just very concerned as I do not want to damage the tranny.

Thanks much,
Reggie
Old 04-16-12, 09:16 AM
txt
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You didn't measure the level before draining, so you didn't know if the original ATF level was good or not.
Since the current level is above MAX, I would just drain some fluid and refill until it meets specifications.

PS: This has happened to me before and I was also paranoid enough to do the 2nd drain and refill.
Old 04-16-12, 09:32 AM
fyremaster
Driver School Candidate

Thanks! I did check before I drained with the car "warm" not "hot" and it looked like it was above the Cold max but below the Hot low so thought it would be OK to just use what I drain and then adjust as needed.

Thanks again for the reply.
Old 04-16-12, 09:59 AM
txt
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the original level was above COLD max, then maybe it was a bit overfilled.
When engine is cold, you can drain it until level is below COLD max.
Then drive until ATF is hot and see how high the level is.
Old 04-16-12, 01:52 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

You are checking the ATF level with the engine running and warmed up, correct?
Old 04-16-12, 02:12 PM
fyremaster
Driver School Candidate

I checked it after driving for maybe 10 min. So I am not sure it was hot. I am going to check it when my wife gets home after it has been driven for a little longer and then will adjust as needed. I will make sure to have her keep it running so I can accurately check.

Thanks for all the responses!
Old 04-17-12, 09:21 AM
LA4Mead
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

IF in the unlikely event it's really overfilled you DO need to, you can drain a small amount by disconnecting the cooler return hose (engine off). I'd only do that if it really is overfilled, and your fluid condition is good. I've done this before.
If the new fluid's mixing with dirty fluid anyway, consider it an opportunity to drain again. When I drain, I follow Code 58's suggestion draining the pan, the front differential (mine is 2WD), and disconnecting the cooler return hose, cranking until I get new fluid. Total is 10-12 quarts by the time I'm done exchanging fluid. FWIW, I get the T- IV by the case with a coupon from the Toyota dealer when they have it on special.
Old 04-17-12, 11:37 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Also, make certain that you are on a level surface.
Old 04-17-12, 07:11 PM
fyremaster
Driver School Candidate

Checked it again and it was right where it was before I drained. It must have just had to settle down into the nooks and crannies.

I will definitly follow code 58's suggestion and drain it all next time.

When you say cranking until you get new fluid, could you elaborate on that a bit? What do you crank?

Thanks again
Old 04-17-12, 11:45 PM
code58
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by fyremaster
Checked it again and it was right where it was before I drained. It must have just had to settle down into the nooks and crannies.

I will definitly follow code 58's suggestion and drain it all next time.

When you say cranking until you get new fluid, could you elaborate on that a bit? What do you crank?

Thanks again
I realize the question was asked of LA4Mead, but I will answer for myself. That means, for me, to start the vehicle (preferably having my wife or a friend do this) with the return line rubber hose disconnected and put into a clear jug, having filled the pan with 4 qts, of new fluid and watch till the 1st sign of air bubbles come and immediately shut it off. Do the same thing again and by the time you've put in (used) a total of 12 qts. it should pretty abruptly turn bright red. IMMEDIATELY shut off. Reconnect the line and check fluid level and you're done. It will take a VERY short time to pump through those 4 qts. each time. I do this alone if I have no help and there is no danger of any damage with everything liberally bathed in fluid. I just move fast when it starts to produce bubbles (air).
Old 04-18-12, 03:54 AM
iolmaster
Racer

Received 180 Likes on 153 Posts

Do you guys equate the T-tech method of fluid exchange with a flush or more like a drain and fill?
Old 04-18-12, 07:28 AM
salimshah

Received 994 Likes on 898 Posts

Since you asked ,,,

The simplest is drain and fill ... do it 2 -3 (or more) times. Or even better do the drain fill every 5000 miles .

Nothing wrong in using the transmission pump to do it ... but you need to know what you are doing and a well-intentioned task can spin out of control. Its like giving a rope to some one, which can be used for good purpose but .....

Keep this in mind that the root cause of the failures has not been attributed to transmission fluid.

Salim
Old 04-18-12, 07:30 AM
fyremaster
Driver School Candidate

Thanks code58! I thought that was what was meant but am always concerned with running the engine without fluid lines connected.
Old 04-18-12, 09:54 PM
code58
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by fyremaster
Thanks code58! I thought that was what was meant but am always concerned with running the engine without fluid lines connected.
I've spent my life in automotive work and this is the way i've always done it because I simply cannot put new fluid in with old fluid. I have absolutely no arguement with anyone who does the drain and fill to their own vehicle. I simply will not do it. I grieved the day when Ford eliminated the drain plug from their converter because with the plug you were able to change ALL the fluid without running it. NO ONE that i know of uses a drain plug in the converter any more.
Someone posted a DIY video, I believe on this forum, on how to do the fluid change the way I've always done it, except it was on a Honda. He did it with pouring the fluid in as it was pumping it out the return line untill it showed bright red fluid returning, then shut it off. I've tried that but it's hard to pour it in fast enough to keep it from showing air. I prefer to pour in 4 qts., run til air bubbles, shut off, do that again until red fluid return and then reconnect, check and top to full with it running and warm and you're done. There is absolutely no chance of damage when shut off at the 1st. sign of bubbles, because everything is BATHED in fluid, not running dry. I've never yet ever heard of a single problem with doing it this way.

Last edited by code58; 04-18-12 at 10:22 PM.
Old 04-18-12, 10:19 PM
code58
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by iolmaster
Do you guys equate the T-tech method of fluid exchange with a flush or more like a drain and fill?
T-tech would definitely be more like a flush, which I am personally opposed to. Just TOOOOO many reports of problems in a relatively short (2-4 mo. and 5k mi.) after a flush that didn't exist before. T-tech connects to both lines and runs the fluid back through the filter to supposedly back flush what's in the filter out, eliminating necessity for change. I don't know how much back flushing it can do because there are one way valves in the trans. but there IS a reason why some manufacturers have come out AGAINST flushing. In my mind, the pump through is a "natural" path to eliminate all the old fluid. No, T-tech is nothing like a drain and fill.

Quick Reply: Transmission Fluid Replacement Question