RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Questions on Maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-12, 12:15 AM
trips1
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Questions on Maintenance

Hello,

I have 2001 RX300 with 120K miles now.
Since 87K miles i had been only getting oil change done at an independent mechanic with my own supplied synthetic oil and toyota oil filter. I had done some DIY's on it which includes changing the transmission pan and filter, fixing the servo motor, etc. I do check all the oils on regular basis.

I had few questions related to general maintenance and would appreciate if someone can help answer these
- Is there is a need to lubricate any parts under the RX on regular basis. I believe i hear some noise from the back side of the car when i go over bumps and it does not seems to come from struts.

- My radiator was changed about 6 years ago at 70K by Lexus. I am in Southern California and the temperature gauge never goes above middle point or so. Is there any need to change the coolant or i am fine not worrying about any maintenance for that.

- My passenger side window glass makes little noise as if it is loose when the car goes over brick surface. Is there anything available to make the door strips holding the glass little softer

- My oil change shop told me that i should get my serpentine belts changed and indicated that there are minor cracks, which personally i don't see. Anyone has any suggestion on the lifetime in terms of years/miles these belts last. Also i would think that they would show clear sign of real bad wear and tear before they would break and as such i may be fine as long as i check them every few months.

Thanks,
trips
Old 04-08-12, 04:25 AM
bob2200
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

You didn't mentioned an automatic transmission fluid drain and refill, which isn't mentioned in the Lexus maintenance manual, but many feel it should be done very 15K-mi or 20K-mi. You also didn't mention changing the brake fluid, which I think should be done every 2 years.

I have a FWD model and there is no lubrication required. I seem to recall that there may be a drive shaft lubrication recommended on AWD models. It's in the maintenance manual.

You must have had the coolant changed out when they replaced the radiator. They might have used the longer-life pre-mixed (pink) fluid. My personal feeling is 2 years on the red fluid and 4 years on the pink fluid. If you go longer, you just increase the risks associated with the coolant additives no longer protecting. It is normal for the temperature gauge to only go slightly over middle reading.

The accessory belts should have been changed when the timing belt was replaced at 90K-mi. If neither one has been done, they are both overdue. You are also due for new spark plugs at 120K-mi. My accessory belts started squeaking well before the 90K-mi point.

I don't know about the noise from the rear (over bricks) or the noise from the door window glass.
Old 04-08-12, 05:09 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by trips1
Hello,

I have 2001 RX300 with 120K miles now.
Since 87K miles i had been only getting oil change done at an independent mechanic with my own supplied synthetic oil and toyota oil filter. I had done some DIY's on it which includes changing the transmission pan and filter, fixing the servo motor, etc. I do check all the oils on regular basis.

I had few questions related to general maintenance and would appreciate if someone can help answer these
- Is there is a need to lubricate any parts under the RX on regular basis. I believe i hear some noise from the back side of the car when i go over bumps and it does not seems to come from struts.

- My radiator was changed about 6 years ago at 70K by Lexus. I am in Southern California and the temperature gauge never goes above middle point or so. Is there any need to change the coolant or i am fine not worrying about any maintenance for that.

- My passenger side window glass makes little noise as if it is loose when the car goes over brick surface. Is there anything available to make the door strips holding the glass little softer

- My oil change shop told me that i should get my serpentine belts changed and indicated that there are minor cracks, which personally i don't see. Anyone has any suggestion on the lifetime in terms of years/miles these belts last. Also i would think that they would show clear sign of real bad wear and tear before they would break and as such i may be fine as long as i check them every few months.

Thanks,
trips
That noise could be the strut mounts.
Old 04-08-12, 12:27 PM
bob2200
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by bob2200
I have a FWD model and there is no lubrication required. I seem to recall that there may be a drive shaft lubrication recommended on AWD models.
It came to me, it's not lubrication, it's torquing of the flange bolts.
Old 04-08-12, 10:28 PM
trips1
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bob2200
You didn't mentioned an automatic transmission fluid drain and refill, which isn't mentioned in the Lexus maintenance manual, but many feel it should be done very 15K-mi or 20K-mi. You also didn't mention changing the brake fluid, which I think should be done every 2 years.

I have a FWD model and there is no lubrication required. I seem to recall that there may be a drive shaft lubrication recommended on AWD models. It's in the maintenance manual.

You must have had the coolant changed out when they replaced the radiator. They might have used the longer-life pre-mixed (pink) fluid. My personal feeling is 2 years on the red fluid and 4 years on the pink fluid. If you go longer, you just increase the risks associated with the coolant additives no longer protecting. It is normal for the temperature gauge to only go slightly over middle reading.

The accessory belts should have been changed when the timing belt was replaced at 90K-mi. If neither one has been done, they are both overdue. You are also due for new spark plugs at 120K-mi. My accessory belts started squeaking well before the 90K-mi point.

I don't know about the noise from the rear (over bricks) or the noise from the door window glass.
Thanks for your email. Yes i do drain and refill of transmission fluid and a year ago i did the complete pan and filter change.
So it looks to me that i should definitely change the coolant.
What would be definitive sign to indicate if spark plug change would be needed. Same question for the belts other than the timing belts. (My timing belt was changed at around 65K when Lexus changed major part of the engine as part of oil sludge repair)