RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Changing Wiper Blades

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-02, 08:53 PM
Bclark
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing Wiper Blades

How do you change ther wiper blade refills, or do you change the wiper blade and its attachment on an '01 RX? I've spent more time than I care to mention finding out how. I've concluded that you can't just change the refill because it won't remove, so that leaves changing the wiper blade attachment. I'm about to drive it into the dealer and have them change it.
Thanks much.
BC.
Old 10-30-02, 09:46 PM
Daddy-O
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The directions are usually on the box in which the wiper blade refill is packaged. They just pop on and off. Tilt the wiper up and you'll see a small clip where the blade attaches to the arm. Press down on the clip and slide/pull the blade off down the length of the arm a couple inches.

Reverse the process to install. Slide/pull the blade up the length of the arm. It will click in place.

I think it takes more time to remove the wiper from the
hermetically sealed plastic box, than it does to install it.
Old 04-16-09, 06:23 PM
bajan3
Driver School Candidate

Did you ever get an answer on how to replace the wiper blade refills? I saw a lot of responses about whether they are good or bad, but no one mentioned how to replace them.
Old 04-16-09, 07:19 PM
bob2200
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

The refills replace the same way they did on all the European cars I've had over the years. I use Lexus rubber wiper blade inserts. Maybe somebody will have photos, but there are several ways to accomplish the same thing. First, you probably need to remove the wiper blade assembly from the wiper arm. (This is a matter of pressing the release and sliding it off). Then, there are two stainless steel long, thin pieces of metal that slide out. I usually use pliers to grab these. Ones these have been removed, the rubber insert is easily removed and replaced. The stainless steel long, thin pieces are slid back on, and that's about it.
Old 04-16-09, 09:08 PM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

Here are step by step to replace the wiper blade (refill OEM highly recommended)
Note: The blade ends can be sharp so be careful.
Rag is all you need.

Front:
1. Raise both wipers.
Do one at a time as they are different lengths.
2. Locate the middle of the wiper. Wiper arm finishes as a u hook folded back. Release the lock by pressing the tab. Slide down the blade from the u hook.

Take a few minutes and study the blade. Note the grooves the claws use. Look for the barb (lock) end of the insert. Mark this end with blue masking tape if you think you will not remember it.

3. Now the blade is off look for the lock (arrow barb) at the bottom end of the blade. Use a rag to grab it and pull out. Once you pull the barb out, the rest should come out easily. Note the curve position of the two steel blades.
4. Insert the two blades in the new insert grooves. Ensure that you put the steel blades as they came out from the original as the curve will help the wipers stick to the curve of the windshield better.

Exercise a bit of patience as the three pieces will tend NOT to stay together and the claws keep moving on you.

5. Start threading the new insert from the marked end, in the claws of the wiper blade. Note the claws go in their dedicated groove.
6. Keep feeding and pulling and work from one claw to the next. If the insert does not glide smoothly, stop and check that you are in the right groove [For proper operation there should be no binding at the claws].
7. The barb at the end will have to be forced in to lock. Smooth out the length of the insert in the claws.
8. Hook the blade back on the wiper arm. The putting it back always looks counter intuitive (to me at least) but you know which way the wiper must face, so you will get it right.
9. Wash your hands as they will be covered with soot/rubber.

Once you get the hang of doing the fronts, the back is not too different. If you do it couple of times, you will not need step by step and most probably if some one asked you for instructions, you will say pull the old one out and stick in the new one.

Salim

Last edited by salimshah; 04-16-09 at 09:15 PM.
Old 04-23-09, 01:34 PM
Nickv
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks, Salim, for the very complete and detailed instructions. Some of us actually need, and USE, them. Nick
Old 04-25-09, 04:06 AM
bob2200
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

FYI, I found this over on the GS forum:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/att...t-lbo00495.pdf
Old 04-26-09, 03:09 PM
trhs75
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Excellent directions, Salim. One point to keep in mind: when I bought my used RX, the Lexus blades wouldn't fit at all. As it turns out, someone had replaced both wiper assemblies with aftermarket ones -- AMCO or something. I bought new assemblies from Lexus, and now I can use the Lexus refill blades.
Old 02-02-13, 03:30 PM
mqnyc
Driver School Candidate

Default Found a great instructional video for GS350 wiper blade replacement

This video was very helpful. The key to removing the wiper blade from the arm was to flip open the latch in the middle rather than pressing it inwards. Hope this helps.

http://www.carcarekiosk.com/video/20...e_wiper_blades
Old 03-14-14, 10:52 AM
focus
Driver School Candidate

Default wiper blade replacement

Originally Posted by Daddy-O
The directions are usually on the box in which the wiper blade refill is packaged. They just pop on and off. Tilt the wiper up and you'll see a small clip where the blade attaches to the arm. Press down on the clip and slide/pull the blade off down the length of the arm a couple inches.

Reverse the process to install. Slide/pull the blade up the length of the arm. It will click in place.

I think it takes more time to remove the wiper from the
hermetically sealed plastic box, than it does to install it.
There is no clip to hold on the Lexus blades I think it's proprietary
so you have to get them changed at the dealer.
Old 03-14-14, 11:19 AM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

Originally Posted by focus
Can you please elaborate.

Are you talking about the inserts? They have a barb at the end which secures it in a claw of the wiper blade.

The wiper blade has a locking mechanism (pretty standard) that you squeeze to releases from the U hook of the wiper-arm.

I have always replaced the inserts so my wiper-blade is original.

You may have a non OEM wiper blade, which might explain the problem you stated.

Salim
Old 03-14-14, 12:11 PM
kalali
Pole Position

Originally Posted by focus
I have changed the wiper blades (not the inserts) on our '03 RX at least twice with no issues. I think the ones I have now are Michelin brand purchased from Wally world. They have the "standard" fitting and pop right in. Did it in the parking lot in less than 10 minutes total for both sides.