RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Investigation: Best brands of gas for your car

Old 04-02-12, 08:47 PM
lserlohn
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

are you using 87 or 93?

Originally Posted by blueridge
Yeah maybe? I also used Shell in the RX nearly all the time. Knock sensors went out at around 110K and the Transmission went out a few weeks ago at 149K. Maybe I can blame Shell on the tranny? LOL!

We're still using Shell about 90% of the time. They are plentiful here in the North Charlotte area and the price isn't bad.
Old 04-02-12, 09:36 PM
blueridge
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lserlohn
are you using 87 or 93?
87 in the Camry and 93 in the RX300. For me, the RX just didn't run right on anything else. We traded in the RX for a 08 4Runner with the V8 and it runs great on 87.
Old 04-03-12, 03:29 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 159 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by blueridge
87 in the Camry and 93 in the RX300. For me, the RX just didn't run right on anything else. We traded in the RX for a 08 4Runner with the V8 and it runs great on 87.
Our 06 4Runner V8 loves 87, but the RX300 still runs 93. One of my neighbors has an RX300 that runs fine on 87, but the difference for me is all the modifications and 93 is what my RX needs, not just wants.
Old 04-03-12, 05:28 AM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

I thought these companies all mixed and matched their gas supplies depending on regional availability? So going to one brand of gas station doesn't guarrantee you're getting a specific refinery's gas (?)
Old 04-04-12, 12:44 AM
code58
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by sktn77a
I thought these companies all mixed and matched their gas supplies depending on regional availability? So going to one brand of gas station doesn't guarrantee you're getting a specific refinery's gas (?)
The fuel may be the same fuel for different gas stations, but the difference is in what goes into it when the tanker truck fills the load for delivery. We have a tank farm about 1&1/2 miles from us. That is just a storage facility, the fuel is actually refined any where from 30 to hundreds of miles away. I have a good friend who used to be in charge of the pipe lines for 2 or 3 western states. You have large pipes underlying much of the LA basin. They sometimes carry fuel as far as Pheonix from the Carson refineries, all underground. The "tank farm" close to us is just a storage facility for the fuel tankers. Many different brands fill up there and some of the trucks have several different major brand decals on the truck, that are not affiliated in any way. They just deliver the fuel. When a tanker pulls up for a load, the operator has the order for the load and as he fills the tanker he presses the right buttons to put the additives (and percentages) in for THAT brands formula. The difference is in what a certain brand calls for in additives, the fuel is all the same, at least here and a lot of other places as well, though I'm sure there are places across this great land that do it differently. The State of Cal. closely controls the fuel in the state and it MUST meet certain strict standards.
Old 04-04-12, 05:02 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by code58
When a tanker pulls up for a load, the operator has the order for the load and as he fills the tanker he presses the right buttons to put the additives (and percentages) in for THAT brands formula. The difference is in what a certain brand calls for in additives, the fuel is all the same, at least here and a lot of other places as well, though I'm sure there are places across this great land that do it differently.
Interesting. I wonder if they do the same here in NC?
Old 04-05-12, 01:30 AM
code58
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by sktn77a
Interesting. I wonder if they do the same here in NC?
I have no idea, I'm sure there are different policies across the country, especially depending on how strict the polution laws are in the state. I'm sure there are areas that the brand that refines the fuel is the only one using the fuel from that refinery. Ca. is very strict concerning polution laws, hense the reason we have some of the most expensive gas in the continental U.S. You simply couldn't have dozens of refineries in Ca. to meet the incredible demand for fuel. That's one of the reasons for the tank farms that supply to MANY different brands of stations. Also, we have 87, 89 and 91 octane (I believe that's correct) here in So Ca. The pump automatically blends equal amounts of 87 and 91 if 89 is selected. We pay as much as 80 cents to $1. more per gallon here than the CHEAPEST that you'll find in the Cont. U.S. That also translates to fuel in areas that is not as highly refined (clean) because the polution standards aren't as high. Our winter fuel is higher because it has to be more highly refined. Where else can you find a chain of stations selling 87 octane for $4.20-$4.50 per gallon that's named "Thrifty"?
Old 05-08-12, 05:12 PM
JERKRICE
Rookie

should i use 87 or 89 ? i normally go with the cheapest gas price...times are hard
Old 05-08-12, 05:41 PM
jbl-1985
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by JERKRICE
should i use 87 or 89 ? i normally go with the cheapest gas price...times are hard
There are those who swear by higher octane gas, but for me, the only thing I noticed by putting 93 in my RX300 was my credit card bill got a little higher a little faster.
Old 05-08-12, 06:01 PM
NyCrAzY
Driver

Originally Posted by jbl-1985
There are those who swear by higher octane gas, but for me, the only thing I noticed by putting 93 in my RX300 was my credit card bill got a little higher a little faster.
x2.

I don't see any improvement using 93 gas. So I went back to 87, but only from Shell because it seems like it burns slower than other gas stations I've been to. Or maybe it's just me.

I really want to try Chevron, but they don't have any in VA.
Old 05-26-15, 06:52 PM
etjmtorrez
Driver School Candidate

Default FYI; Costco gas

I've been having some problems with my GS350 for a couple of years now. And dealership here locally could not duplicate symptoms. When at a stop foot on brake car begins to shake and shutter.
Well dealership where I purchased the vehicle said it is due to my using Costco Gas. They do not have top tier gasoline they are provided with cheaper wholesale gasoline. It is the build up of carbon in my valves that I'd causing the shakes and shutters. And so I was advised to use a better gasoline and in time will clear up. I've confronted Costco with what I was told and of course they said they do much to make sure it is top tier quality . So for me the few cents I am saving at Costco is not worth ruining my vehicle.
Old 05-26-15, 09:13 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by etjmtorrez
I've been having some problems with my GS350 for a couple of years now. And dealership here locally could not duplicate symptoms. When at a stop foot on brake car begins to shake and shutter.
Well dealership where I purchased the vehicle said it is due to my using Costco Gas. They do not have top tier gasoline they are provided with cheaper wholesale gasoline. It is the build up of carbon in my valves that I'd causing the shakes and shutters. And so I was advised to use a better gasoline and in time will clear up. I've confronted Costco with what I was told and of course they said they do much to make sure it is top tier quality . So for me the few cents I am saving at Costco is not worth ruining my vehicle.
I've been running Costco 93 octane gas for a couple of years now with no ill effects. They have recently become top-tier gas, within' the past year or so.

http://www.toptiergas.com/retailers.html
Old 05-27-15, 05:27 AM
fastnoypi
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 71 Posts

Ran Costco gas in my turboed car for over 10 years in AZ before i moved back to NJ. Never a problem. In fact at the local dyno shops, cars that ran Costco gas MEASUREDLY ran better and more power than other area Mobil and Shell gas when comparing dyno runs. The worst gas that exhibited the least power on 91 was Chevron.. we suspected more detergents per volume of gas.

Carbon deposits are usually from bad pcv valves, clogged breather systems, worn spark plugs and short driving operation regardless of your gas vendor.

Shake and shutter can be the result of a clogged injector, bad fuel pressure regulator, or fouled spark plug.
Old 05-27-15, 09:17 AM
matts6887
Racer

Received 88 Likes on 76 Posts

Dont know if anyone else besides me has arco stations in your area(s); but thats what ive been using recently because they are one of the least expensive brands here in this area that is top tier. Ive been sticking with using 87 octane and so far Ive not come across any ill issues running it. The way i see it why go to the much more expensive premium if you dont have to use it. Especially with the way these gas prices around here have gone up quite a bit over the past couple months which is ridiculous. So; as long as i dont encounter any ill issues using it im gonna stick with using 87. Every now and then however I run a tank of shell v-power premium or chevron through it to clean up the fuel system a bit(hopefully)