RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Airbag removal

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-12, 06:06 AM
ecoastkid
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Airbag removal

Hello.

I'm parting out a 99 RX 300 with a blown motor. Id like to remove the passanger side air bag. Has anyone removed theirs that might be able to give me some tips?

Thanks
Old 03-23-12, 10:03 AM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

What do you plan to do once the bag is out? Suggested solution is to deploy it safely, to prevent accidental deployment. You may even call the dealership and ask how to dispose off the bags. They generally have a four tires as a load set up to take the blow.

Incomplete list;

Always think what will happen if the air-bag deploys. keep in mind the thing expands violently and both or either end can move (when installed the back end is fixed).

Never place the undeployed bag face-down. Else the whole assembly will launch uncontrollably as apposed to opening up (not that this option is great, but lot better than the other one).

Keep the activation wires shorted together to prevent any charge buildup.

Never bring an object (pliers, screw driver, hammer etc) between the bag and and yourself and never be behind the airbag.

Salim
Old 03-23-12, 01:03 PM
ecoastkid
Driver School Candidate

I'm parting the whole truck out so I want to sell it.

As many things as I've ripped off a vehicle before, an air bag isn't one of them and I wanted to make sure I do it safely.
Old 03-23-12, 11:49 PM
code58
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ecoastkid
I'm parting the whole truck out so I want to sell it.

As many things as I've ripped off a vehicle before, an air bag isn't one of them and I wanted to make sure I do it safely.
I'm a little uncomfortable with that wording.
Old 03-26-12, 04:31 AM
ecoastkid
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by code58
I'm a little uncomfortable with that wording.
lol

hows delicately removed sound?

I'm actually pretty **** about removing stuff. Each door panel I sold comes with all four of the little pins that you take out around the side along with all of the screws. I hate buything something that has all the wires to it cut or all the screws missing at mounting points cracked.
Old 03-27-12, 12:33 AM
code58
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ecoastkid
lol

hows delicately removed sound?

I'm actually pretty **** about removing stuff. Each door panel I sold comes with all four of the little pins that you take out around the side along with all of the screws. I hate buything something that has all the wires to it cut or all the screws missing at mounting points cracked.
Much better!

The air bag is easy to remove, just make sure the battery has been disconnected for a while because the system CAN store an electrical charge that could set off an air bag if it were removed improperly immediately after disconnecting the battery.

Last edited by code58; 03-27-12 at 12:37 AM.
Old 03-27-12, 07:22 PM
ecoastkid
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by code58
Much better!

The air bag is easy to remove, just make sure the battery has been disconnected for a while because the system CAN store an electrical charge that could set off an air bag if it were removed improperly immediately after disconnecting the battery.
lol...thanks and thanks