RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

99 RX audio upgrade log

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-12, 08:14 PM
RXdriver11
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

So this is where the polyester I had laying around for the radio came from. The structure starting to take shape

Old 02-26-12, 08:18 PM
RXdriver11
Rookie

Both sides finished with polyester and ready for some resin

Old 02-26-12, 08:21 PM
RXdriver11
Rookie

some dry time

and a little test fit..

Old 02-26-12, 08:24 PM
RXdriver11
Rookie

The pictures dont really show it but there was a lot of sanding that went into these..

Old 02-26-12, 08:29 PM
RXdriver11
Rookie

More coming ive got a hand cramp, and have got to rearrange a few pictures..
Old 02-27-12, 05:37 PM
RXdriver11
Rookie

More work..

Old 02-27-12, 05:39 PM
RXdriver11
Rookie

This is a sanding and test fit of the speaker with a damaged one i had laying around. Its starting to take shape.

Old 02-27-12, 05:42 PM
RXdriver11
Rookie

This is after a lot of primer and sanding..

Old 02-27-12, 05:45 PM
RXdriver11
Rookie

This is the final coat with some primer filler before paint..

Old 02-27-12, 05:50 PM
RXdriver11
Rookie

Laying down some paint

and after the paint was a few coats of a clear..

Old 02-27-12, 05:59 PM
RXdriver11
Rookie

And finally the finished product..

here are the speakers that are in now..

Old 02-27-12, 06:05 PM
RXdriver11
Rookie

Now this is a pure audio install but I do have a Lexus and want to keep it clean and classy looking. Here are a few shots of the equipment going in..

and a better shot of the sub woofer. Its a 15" Ascendant Audio SMD sitting next to a 10". If you are familiar with car audio then you have an idea what the SMD is..

Old 02-27-12, 06:07 PM
RXdriver11
Rookie

These are going in as well..

Old 02-29-12, 11:49 AM
nnym4
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Really nice work!! I saw a couple of threads were people said they replaced the cd changer with a head unit, which is still a possibility for me. What I had in mind for my RX was getting a CarPC or a double din touch screen that can play videos through a rear usb port. My plan was to attach a external HD through the back of the head unit and have it sit where the CD changer currently is.

I have also seen someone put a single din touch screen monitor IN the glove compartment, so when you open the glove compartment you can have the screen come out, but you would be able to close it and make everything still look stock. Only thing I dont like about that is that it would be far from the drivers seat and could be a hassle. Like I had said in the other thread, I am still not sure as of what I am going to do, but I am still gathering ideas of what I could do. Still, really nice work with the tweeters and glove box! I will definitely subscribe to this thread to see if you add anything else!

P.S. With the glove compartment closed, how well does the RF remote work and how were you planning on seeing what song you had on? Were you just going to drive with the glove compartment down or find a way to connect it to the monitor on the dash?
Old 02-29-12, 07:35 PM
RXdriver11
Rookie

Originally Posted by nnym4
Really nice work!! I saw a couple of threads were people said they replaced the cd changer with a head unit, which is still a possibility for me. What I had in mind for my RX was getting a CarPC or a double din touch screen that can play videos through a rear usb port. My plan was to attach a external HD through the back of the head unit and have it sit where the CD changer currently is.

I have also seen someone put a single din touch screen monitor IN the glove compartment, so when you open the glove compartment you can have the screen come out, but you would be able to close it and make everything still look stock. Only thing I dont like about that is that it would be far from the drivers seat and could be a hassle. Like I had said in the other thread, I am still not sure as of what I am going to do, but I am still gathering ideas of what I could do. Still, really nice work with the tweeters and glove box! I will definitely subscribe to this thread to see if you add anything else!

P.S. With the glove compartment closed, how well does the RF remote work and how were you planning on seeing what song you had on? Were you just going to drive with the glove compartment down or find a way to connect it to the monitor on the dash?
Thanks. If I were you I wouldn't rule out the glove box. It will let you bypass the stock radio and still keep a hidden and clean look. With the glove box down the remote works perfect.. but I got sick of having it down all the time. So I added the wired remote you see below. It controls the radio functions from outside and is close to reach from the drivers seat.

Quick Reply: 99 RX audio upgrade log