RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Keyless Entry

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-12, 11:43 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts
Default Keyless Entry

My remote key stopped working this morning. The light on the key works when I press it, but the car doesn't respond. No beeping, or anything. If I use the button on the inside of the car, the door's lock, so I know the lock actuators are fine. This is the only master remote key i have, so i can't test with another.
Any idea's? Do you think the remote has a bad battery, even thought the red light on the key is working?

I let my dad borrow my RX yesterday, so I'll have to ask him if he dropped the key by accident.
Old 01-23-12, 12:22 PM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

First test it out with other remote keys (if you have them). This is the best way to debug. If the other keys do not work, you may try disconnecting the RX battery to clear out gremlins in the RX.

Red LED lighting up assures there is juice in the key battery, but does not check for radio wave emission.

Also what about other 2 remote functions? Do they work?

Just in case some new members are reading this .... RX will disable its remote if it finds matching frequencies to prevent people with scanners/generators from breaking in. You have to insert the key in the door lock[AND OPERATE LOCK/UN-LOCK twist] to reset the lock-out.

Salim
ps: RX does not know if the intent is with malice or not. I have had my RX not respond and usually it happens with other RX in vicinity.

Last edited by salimshah; 01-23-12 at 02:23 PM. Reason: added stuff in UPPER CASE
Old 01-23-12, 12:43 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

None of the other functions work, either. Unfortunately, I don't have any other remote keys.

I'm glad you mentioned that the RX disables the remote, I had no idea it could do that. It's possible that's what my RX may be doing. LOL My dad took it to NY yesterday, so it's possible the RX disabled the remote like you stated to stop from others breaking in. I'm going out in a few hours, and when I do I'll try resetting the lock- out by inserting the key into the door...Hopefully, that's what the problem is.
Old 01-23-12, 02:24 PM
salimshah

^^ Not prudent to be with one master key.

Salim
Old 01-23-12, 02:49 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Ok, I just tried putting the key into the driver's side door but still the remote doesnt work.

Yeah, I know. I'm planning on buying an additional key soon. Haha... It's just so expensive for a darn key, but I guess that's to be expected.

Any other guesses as to why it's not working?
Old 01-23-12, 03:30 PM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

you didnt get another key in the ignition of the car by mistake?
Old 01-23-12, 05:13 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by thomas1
you didnt get another key in the ignition of the car by mistake?
nope, don't think so.
Old 01-23-12, 06:59 PM
salimshah

Pull the battery terminal.

Needless to tell you that it will be lot more expensive to get another key, if you loose the only one you have.

Salim

Last edited by salimshah; 01-23-12 at 07:05 PM.
Old 01-23-12, 08:08 PM
gazi001
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hyper, did you solve the problem?
Old 01-24-12, 03:40 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by salimshah
Pull the battery terminal.

Needless to tell you that it will be lot more expensive to get another key, if you loose the only one you have.

Salim
Yeah, if i lose this key I have... I'll be needing a new ECU. < that wouldn't be fun or cheap... I will eventually buy a new key. I haven't learned my lesson yet, as you can tell. haha

Originally Posted by gazi001
Hyper, did you solve the problem?
Nope. I'll try removing the battery terminals over the weekend, and we'll go from there.
Old 01-24-12, 08:53 AM
gazi001
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes remove the battery terminal first. Good luck.
Old 01-28-12, 02:18 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

I tired the battery terminal today, but no luck. The remote still doesn't work. I cleaned the contacts in the remote as well, even though the red light was working.

Any suggestions? Is there any fuses for the alarm system, I looked under the hood but none of them said anything about keyless entry or anti-theft...I don't think.
Old 02-05-12, 08:09 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Ok, so I followed the steps Salimshah posted in the other thread, which I also found in the repair manual.
I only get one short beep for lock and unlock, and then i get one longish beep for panic. < SO what does that mean? LOL
Here's the video of me doing the test: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Sl72ueVS-k

I also checked fuses under the hood and under the instrument cluster, they all look good. None of the fuses directly related to the alarm system under the hood so I didn't pull any out. Under the instrument cluster I believe there was 3 that related to door locks, so I pulled those 3 all of them were good. Is there any fuses I may have missed?
Old 02-05-12, 09:13 AM
salimshah

My understanding is that confirms the receiver in your vehicle is working fine.

How about other symptoms ,,, dome light turns off when you close the door after the delay? Does the door ajar indicator in dash show any door open?

Salim
Old 02-05-12, 09:33 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

The dome light turns off after 15 seconds, I tested this with every door except the hatch. (forgot to test that)
No, the door ajar light is not on. It's only on when a door is open. < i suppose every door switch is working fine then...

So, do you think the key is at fault? I don't mind buying another key, but I want to make sure it's going to work. lol

Thanks for the help! Appreciate it!

Quick Reply: Keyless Entry