RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

99 RX300 2WD "Knocking"

Old 12-20-11, 05:56 PM
Sturds
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb 99 RX300 2WD "Knocking"

Hello I've seen posts about squeaks in the front end but on my RX whenever a bump is hit, even the lip on a garage floor, it causes a noise from the front end, I can't describe it any other way than a knocking sound, almost like a flat tire wobbling on the rim, I first thought that when it first happened because the car sat for 2 months and I didn't check any of the tires before driving so I thought one of the front ones was flat but they weren't. Any help??? The best conclusion I can come up with is the struts are making the sound, also I had it up on a set of ramps and wiggled the rubber mounts for the swaybars and other attachments and they're all fine and the noise stopped for a few days then started again and won't stop at all??? Also another thing not quite related to the noise, when slowing then going again you will give it gas and it will continue to coast then after a few seconds it will pick up again but it picks up kinda hard is this normal? It feels like the clutch is disengaging then delaying to reingage, it hasn't done it as much lately but it used to be an all the time thing?
Old 12-20-11, 06:07 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Sturds
Hello I've seen posts about squeaks in the front end but on my RX whenever a bump is hit, even the lip on a garage floor, it causes a noise from the front end, I can't describe it any other way than a knocking sound, almost like a flat tire wobbling on the rim, I first thought that when it first happened because the car sat for 2 months and I didn't check any of the tires before driving so I thought one of the front ones was flat but they weren't. Any help??? The best conclusion I can come up with is the struts are making the sound, also I had it up on a set of ramps and wiggled the rubber mounts for the swaybars and other attachments and they're all fine and the noise stopped for a few days then started again and won't stop at all??? Also another thing not quite related to the noise, when slowing then going again you will give it gas and it will continue to coast then after a few seconds it will pick up again but it picks up kinda hard is this normal? It feels like the clutch is disengaging then delaying to reingage, it hasn't done it as much lately but it used to be an all the time thing?
That is normal, if I understand you correctly. Toyota has programmed the car like that for some reason. I believe they do it to make the car feel more powerful that it really is. < I'm not even kidding. LOL, I remember reading about it somewhere.
Old 12-20-11, 07:52 PM
99rx
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

The noise you are hearing is your strut mounts. Those are the things you see when you pop the hood and they are at the top of your struts. Mine are making noise as well. I guess once it gets loud enough I'll get off my but and get them replaced... But try spraying wd-40 or your favorite lubricant onto the strut mounts. You will see a little crack that you could stick the end of the straw into and shoot it directly into them. If I remember, I will take a picture for you tomorrow. It stopped the noise for me for about 3 months...