RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Anyone with upcoming repairs they are planning to do

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-11, 07:47 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts
Default Anyone with upcoming repairs they are planning to do

I was curious if anyone, especially given more time over the holidays, had planned to do any maintenance jobs on their RX300s (I have just done a few myself if you noticed some of my recent posts).

A few things I am contemplating:

1. Changing the fuel filter - My RX300 has generally been okay, no codes or anything, especially after changing the A/F and O2 sensors not too long ago and gas mileage is fine. However, I have perused other forums related to Toyota and Lexus worldwide and noticed it is a lot more common thing to replace them (even though it's a bit of a job to get to them, removing rear seat behind the driver to get at it). I had this done once a long time ago with Lexus after a trip up from Mexico and the filter itself was no pretty. Given that I have been on U.S. gasoline for 3 going on 4 years now I've noticed improvement, but the garbage from Mexico I know is still in there and I think it's about time. Some of the parts I can get on Amazon, but a few rubber rings I can get at the dealer.

2. Hood struts - they died the other day...enough said, I've seen them on Amazon for a good price

3. Replacing broken and missing parts. I've got a few aesthetic areas on my RX300 that are missing a cover or say one of the panels in the wheel well being ripped. I am probably going to have to find time to go on a scavenger hunt to find the parts from junked RX300s (I've seen a few listed on craigslist in my area) as often you have to buy a complete part just to get one thing.

4. Air intake modification - I have the design down pat, but trying to get aluminum tubing at a decent price has been like trying to get a warp drive installed on my RX300. It's not cheap and I've been taking a special protractor to measure angles along with a ruler to measure distances in my engine bay and behind the bumper to figure out exactly what I need.

5. Painting exhaust with high temp paint - This one I just did in the past week and I plan to post some photos over the weekend. What I did was use Rustoleum Rust Reformer (black) first on the entire length of the exhaust (from the A/F sensors back to the muffler), letting it sit for 24 hours and then using their High Temp paint (black) over that. I also used the Rust Reformer paint on the underside panels just underneath the front bumper. I'd love to do the wheel wells as well if I have time.

6. Repainting calipers - My Uncle Antonio did this a long time ago and I should have done it when I was working on the brakes recently, but I didn't have the time to deal with it (drying or removing them and then painting them). Debating whether to go from black to silver.

7. Brake Bleeding - I recently did this again and you know what, no more problems with the ABS. The hesitation forward that I would get braking at under 5 mph is gone. Not sure if I like the way it brakes now compared to without ABS, but we'll see how it goes. I figure there might have been a pocket of air I didn't get at some point or the fluid was bad somewhere, but this was the second time I had done this since I got back from Mexico. I used a pump I got at Harbor Freight to help suck it out, but in the future I plan to get some more elaborate equipment to do this.

8. Removing the wood paneling I have in my vehicle. I put a wood kit from Joshua Tree in my RX300 in the early years down in Mexico, http://www.cardomain.com/ride/221530...exus-rx/page-7 and thought it was a great thing. Unfortunately, some areas (due to sunlight I am sure) have not passed the test of time and I am going to remove them (will post photos of what happened).

9. ACIS modification - I am still studying this, but suffice to say it has a potential for more power. I have seen it done on the 1MZFE, http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/10...ee-v6-mod.html and http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/10...ree-power.html and even on the 3MZFE (2nd gen RX), http://www.angelfire.com/ky3/gabby/intake_mod.htm
Old 12-14-11, 10:06 AM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

Air mix servo. I reached out to RC fans and no response.. time to break the piggy bank.
Add Aux-in.

Salim
Old 12-14-11, 10:30 AM
wing0
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

1. rear hatch strut(hard to find a good price on them up here)
2. coolant flush
3. rear brake/rotor(waiting for rotors)
4. replace tires

Some of the stuff, I don't really want to do in the cold.
Old 12-14-11, 11:33 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

Rear hub and bearing....will have to wait, as I almost took my finger off diagnosing the noise by spinning the wheel why on jacks, and slipping and pinching my finger between wheel spoke and brake caliper.....
Old 12-14-11, 12:42 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

No repairs need to be made.

But, once I get back from my trip to Chicago I need to change the engine oil. I also need to replace the engine air filter, and cabin air filter.

Last edited by hypervish; 08-21-12 at 07:28 AM.
Old 12-18-11, 06:47 PM
BillJoeBob
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Reluctor ring repair.
Old 12-30-11, 05:53 PM
MASSMINI
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

4 new struts
Reluctor ring (rear passenger - I think)
PS fluid change

BTW... What are the pros/cons of combining the strut job and reluctor ring job? Is an axle easier to remove with the strut out?

Last edited by MASSMINI; 12-30-11 at 06:15 PM.
Old 12-30-11, 06:25 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

Completed today - replaced antenna (completely, this time)! I replaced the mast earlier in the year but it kept grinding and then wouldn't retract completely. Did it in under an hour this time (took me half a day first time - mostly disassembling the interior panels).
Old 01-01-12, 06:40 PM
jbl-1985
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Replaced battery last month and had the coolant flushed - both done at a Toyota dealership in Arizona. Honestly the car runs cooler since the coolant was flushed. Before I couldn't even put my hand on the engine cover but now I can without having to whip my hand away in pain. The stuff that was in there was green...was in there from some time before I bought the car.

On my own I did two drain and fills on the trans. Last time I did this was about 20k miles ago. Fluid drained out was just about pristine but I changed it out anyway.

Battery was pretty bad...noticed that the battery tender really heated up while it was charging and maintaining a charge on this car. With the new battery, the BT is running cool - almost like it isn't even on. Glad I changed it when I did.