RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Rear seat belt replacement (child got stuck / twisted it so had to cut it)

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-11, 10:02 PM
bagofchips
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rear seat belt replacement (child got stuck / twisted it so had to cut it)

My RX300 is a 2003.

So first the quick story on how we got here. My 8 year old, being 8, somehow managed to loop the seat belt around his waist in a way that the belt was extended so as to activate the locking mechanism / tensioner. We could not get more slack and it was already very tightly wrapped around his waist. The more we struggled the tighter it got. While he could breath (thank God it wasn't around his neck) I decided to cut the belt.

Now, I'm starting to think that replacing a rear (side, not middle) belt is an expensive proposition. My initial research suggests that I have to buy a whole assembly to the tune of $250 give or take. Say it ain't so...
Old 12-08-11, 05:52 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

Go here, with the Club Lexus discount you should get the part for under $149
http://lexus.sewellparts.com/oem-cat...X300-2003.html
make sure you join Sewel as a club lexus member, than add part to cart for your discount...
Old 12-08-11, 09:03 AM
bagofchips
Rookie

Thx, that price is a little easier to stomach.

In hindsight had I not had the stress of the situation, I probably could have thought about how the belt was twisted on him and maybe spun him upside down in the seat in a 360 to remove the twistover in the belt. Whether this really would have been doable don't know. Glad this didn't happen on a deserted road (and that I have cutting tools in the car).

Anybody have any pointers on replacing the seat belt assembly? Assuming it's more or less just a belt between two attachment ends (one having the spring assembly) and so as long as I can get to the attachment points (which often is the harder work) I just unbolt and rebolt....
Old 12-08-11, 10:46 AM
salimshah

Received 996 Likes on 900 Posts

Just a thought .. have you considered stitching the belt. All ends are sewn and as long as the seam does not pass through a constriction, just fuse the frays and lap the belt by 2inches and sew it together by nylon thread. All you loose is maybe 3" in the length of the belt.

If the cut was near the end you may just move the end and designate that seat as the skinny person seat.

Disclaimer: The restraining power may be compromised if the joint is weak (it may be even stronger than the original).

Salim
Old 12-08-11, 11:58 AM
bagofchips
Rookie

Possible, food for thought, would have to break out my sewing machine or my needle. Noted that must use heavy duty thread and realy oversew it. I think the cut is on a place that would end up being on the spool so not sure

a) the mended belt would retract through the slot
b) the mended belt would not get fouled up on the retraction spool
Old 12-08-11, 04:50 PM
carguy07
Lexus Champion

Received 73 Likes on 65 Posts

Mending the belt would be a very bad idea. IMO.

$115 here: http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...03&catalogid=2
Old 12-08-11, 05:20 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

I wouldn't take the risk of trying to fix the belt... $115 isn't a big price to pay for safety.
Old 12-08-11, 06:50 PM
salimshah

Originally Posted by bagofchips
Possible, food for thought, would have to break out my sewing machine or my needle. Noted that must use heavy duty thread and realy oversew it. I think the cut is on a place that would end up being on the spool so not sure

a) the mended belt would retract through the slot
b) the mended belt would not get fouled up on the retraction spool
If the mend has to go through a slot or gets spooled up. then don't do it.
Others: the belt at the end is stitched. I agree if the stitching is bad, it can compromise the safety.

Salim
Old 12-09-11, 02:54 PM
bagofchips
Rookie

I agree that sewing it back together seems ill-advised. I think Salim was just tossing the idea out there. I also noticed (surprised) what he said about how the belt itself is looped around a metal loop that holds the lower part of the belt to the floor next to the seat and then sewn together back onto itself. This is done as opposed to some other metal webbing clip construct like what you use with a seat belt and a child safety seat.

So interestingly it's nylon thread that is in part bearing the brunt of the impact on a seat belt in a crash.

That aside, there's another reason not to do this: I'm an absolutely horrible seamstress.
Old 12-09-11, 05:32 PM
salimshah

Originally Posted by bagofchips
I agree that sewing it back together seems ill-advised. I think Salim was just tossing the idea out there. I also noticed (surprised) what he said about how the belt itself is looped around a metal loop that holds the lower part of the belt to the floor next to the seat and then sewn together back onto itself. This is done as opposed to some other metal webbing clip construct like what you use with a seat belt and a child safety seat.

So interestingly it's nylon thread that is in part bearing the brunt of the impact on a seat belt in a crash.

That aside, there's another reason not to do this: I'm an absolutely horrible seamstress.
My advice is worth the money you pay me

Salim
Old 12-16-11, 11:49 AM
bagofchips
Rookie

Fwiw, got the new belt (now need to figure out how to install -- the "instructions" say to refer to the service manual, surprise surprise).

The instrux also indicate it's a belt for a Highlander as well. So, anybody else in this predicament might save some money going the route of searching for the Highlander belt instead. Highlander belt (2003) seems to go for $125 w/o even trying for a discount based on my quick search.

I guess searching for the Toyota equivalent (if exists) is a general rule for all parts, if you have time to figure it out.
Old 12-16-11, 04:36 PM
salimshah

Remove Inner Garnish.

Anchor bolts should be torqued to 31ft-lb

tests:

Pull the belt quickly ... it should lock up.

Pull the belt out fully and let it retract a bit. Pull and it should not come out.

Salim
Old 10-14-14, 01:02 PM
banana2014
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Seat Belt cut

This same thing just happened to me with my 8 year old!! Were you able to replace the belt yourself, or did you need to take it to the dealer to replace?
Old 11-20-19, 10:43 AM
Tribe12
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need help!!!

Hi...had to cut the belt after my grandson who btw is autistic. Don’t know how he managed to get twisted up, but he did. My car is a lease and I have to turn it in in a few days. Any suggestions that don’t cost a lot of money.
Old 11-20-19, 02:37 PM
Fit1too
Advanced

Received 122 Likes on 107 Posts

eBay has many listed. You could see see if one the sellers would expedite shipping so as to get it to you quickly.

Quick Reply: Rear seat belt replacement (child got stuck / twisted it so had to cut it)