RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Rear brake light dashboard indicator light

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-11, 03:51 AM
Stemmer
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Rear brake light dashboard indicator light

Symptoms - This past summer the rear brake light indicator light came on. Turned out the high mount brake light would intermittently work and not work, which made me think it was an electrical issue. But the dealer said it was the bulb, they changed the bulb and that rear brake light has been continually working every time I check since that time. The indicator went off for about one month, then came back on for a couple of weeks and was then off for several months until the past few weeks, and is now continually on as soon as I depress the brake. However, ALL brake lights are working every time I check.

I am not handy but have a good indy as I don't want to spend hundreds at the dealer on this issue. Do I ignore the indicator? It does bug me. If I want the indy to check it out, are there any suggestions what he should be looking for or what the issue may be? I'm thinking it might involve one or more of the other rear brake lights as they are originals with the vehicle in service since June 1998 rather than the high mount brake light but that's just a guess. Thanks.
Old 12-07-11, 11:58 AM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

The brake light sensor trigger when abnormal current is detected. Either one of the three brake light is busted or one is about to go. The most money you can spend is replace all three and make sure the socket to bulb connection is good.

Salim
Old 12-07-11, 12:19 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

When the light does come on, does it happen when your headlights are on and you step on the brakes?
Old 12-08-11, 01:37 PM
Stemmer
Driver

Originally Posted by hypervish
When the light does come on, does it happen when your headlights are on and you step on the brakes?
I checked - the indicator comes on when I depress the brake regardless of whether the headlights are on or not.

Salim, since I just changed the high tail lamp a few months ago, would you agree I should only change the two regular brake light bulbs? It seems weird the indicator could know when the bulbs are close to failing but still work. Also, what should it cost to replace the bulbs?
Old 12-08-11, 06:57 PM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

Originally Posted by Stemmer
I checked - the indicator comes on when I depress the brake regardless of whether the headlights are on or not.

Salim, since I just changed the high tail lamp a few months ago, would you agree I should only change the two regular brake light bulbs? It seems weird the indicator could know when the bulbs are close to failing but still work. Also, what should it cost to replace the bulbs?
You and I are looking at presence/absence of light while the computer is looking at the current draw.

If I were you, I would wait for the bulb to pop. Just make sure the bulb is of the right specification. Give you dealership parts to get the price on the bulbs. My guess would be $5~7.

Worst problem to diagnose is when the connector is providing intermittent connection.

Salim
Old 12-09-11, 02:47 PM
Stemmer
Driver

Originally Posted by salimshah
You and I are looking at presence/absence of light while the computer is looking at the current draw.

If I were you, I would wait for the bulb to pop. Just make sure the bulb is of the right specification. Give you dealership parts to get the price on the bulbs. My guess would be $5~7.

Worst problem to diagnose is when the connector is providing intermittent connection.

Salim
You were right Salim. The left rear bulb burned out. I got really lucky - I was getting a windshield chip fixed today and it turned out the place was sort of a strip shopping center of auto services. The place next to it changed the bulb. $25, fair enough. No more indicator light. I saw how to do it but will still probably pay the $25 instead of DIY. Thanks.
The following users liked this post:
kdllx470 (03-20-23)
Old 10-17-13, 09:22 AM
driver1988
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i also have this same problem. None of my brake lights are out. i replaced all of them but the brake light still illuminate whenever i depress the brake pedal. This light will stay on until you shut off the car. The next time you insert your keys to start the car, it illuminates but then goes off like normal. However, when you depress the brakes, it comes on and stays.
Old 10-28-13, 04:41 AM
Raoul
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by driver1988
i also have this same problem. None of my brake lights are out. i replaced all of them but the brake light still illuminate whenever i depress the brake pedal. ...
Same here, I used auto parts store bulbs.
When OEM Dealer bulb was used the problem finally went away.

As was stated above, we are judging by our eyeballs but the computer that turns on the warning light is judging by 'current'.
Old 11-19-13, 07:02 PM
rhmyers
3rd Gear

Default Brake Light -- Dash Indicator

I Have two things to add based on my personal experience:

The dash indicator would come on when I would hit the brake and stay on.
For 6 mo. the indicator would come on, but restarting the car would make it go away.
Then i failed , the indicator light came on and would stay On even with restarts.

1. I checked my brake lights, but failed to check the light at the TOP.
After reading some about this problem I checked it and saw that it
was Totally OUT.

I was able how to take the trim off by seeing a video on YOUTUBE.

Went to youtube.com and did a search.
This part was omitted on some of the posts on Club Lexus. but important.
There are four tabs... The drivers side comes off LAST... and you pull trim UP.
The other three starting at the passenger side come off by pulling trim OUT.
Sliding a screw driver under it helps... It comes off hard.
I have a Hayes manual... and it ommited the trim removal step as well.

2. I relaced the halogen bulb .... with a Sylvania from AutoZone.
2 for about $5. My Lexus dealers are 13 miles away. or I would have use Lexus part.
Removed the light assembly by pushing down ( compresses 2 tabs at bottom) and pulling out a top.

Did not even have to remove the a) Electrical Connector or b) bulb socket.
Just reached in and pulled the bulb... saw it was black. and went to Auto Z.
and put in a New Bulb. ( us tissue no finger grease on the bulb.)

That did not INITIALY solve the probem.
I wiggled the assmbly and wires etc... and it would blink on and off.
Played with it a bit... wiggled different parts / wires different ways..

At that point, I pulled the connector half out ot the socket and replaced it a few times.
THAT FIXED IT. The contacts had corroded.

(This on and off flickering of current, probably contributed to the bulb burning out.)

It workded fine on the ride home 1/2 hr. with the Top Brake Light working and NO Dash
brake failure light.

I do plan on shooting some Radio Shack -- tunner cleaner and lub in the connector and socket
before I put the trim back on. I also used tiny bit of lithim grease on the 4 trim tabs.. to make it easier to get the trim off if I ever need to do this again.

Last edited by rhmyers; 11-19-13 at 07:31 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by rhmyers:
kdllx470 (03-20-23), ronbo2000 (07-01-18)
Old 11-20-13, 10:58 AM
driver1988
Driver

Originally Posted by Raoul
Same here, I used auto parts store bulbs.
When OEM Dealer bulb was used the problem finally went away.

As was stated above, we are judging by our eyeballs but the computer that turns on the warning light is judging by 'current'.
That's interesting. Looks like i'll have to get some OEM from the dealer then. That light really is bothersome
Old 07-01-18, 05:40 PM
ronbo2000
Driver School Candidate

Never thought this old thread would help me find my solution. Thank you.