RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Cracked key shell casing - help needed

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-14, 10:44 AM
Eternity Key
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Contact Lexus of Queens they offer the Eternity Key
Old 11-21-14, 11:48 AM
beachlover
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by iluvny
I find it difficult to believe that any legitimate locksmith would charge $300 to cut a key. That's just crazy.
Agreed. Me thinks they want $38 to cut it and $262 for stuff to smoke while they do it.

BTW, Lexus dealers around me take offense you bought a key off EBay, so won't cut any keys other than their own. Maybe if I offered the key cutting employee cash in person, but I have other options at my disposal.

Last edited by beachlover; 11-21-14 at 11:52 AM.
Old 11-22-14, 02:15 PM
maorsela
Rookie

To update: Got the key cut @ the local Ace, cost $2.

The key will not turn the switch, when I inspect it, it doesn't look identical.

Here's an issue:

I use the existing key, the ignition turns fine.

When I insert the newly cut key, it doesn't turn the ignition. I remove it.

I can use the newly cut key at the door to lock/unlock, but it will not turn the ignition (ignition switch stuck in 'lock' stage).

I insert the existing working key, and the ignition is locked!!

Any idea what's going on here?

I wiggle the key in the switch for ~30 seconds, then all of a sudden it releases the lock and I can turn on the engine.

I'll just buy a new shell from Amazon/Ebay and have the dealer cut it. Wasted $7...
Old 11-23-14, 07:15 PM
Raoul
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I got two keys, cut and delivered for $27. I believe the turnaround was two or three days.

All I had to do was put the old guts in the new shells.
Old 11-24-14, 03:41 AM
Cacophony
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by maorsela
To update: Got the key cut @ the local Ace, cost $2.

The key will not turn the switch, when I inspect it, it doesn't look identical.

Here's an issue:

I use the existing key, the ignition turns fine.

When I insert the newly cut key, it doesn't turn the ignition. I remove it.

I can use the newly cut key at the door to lock/unlock, but it will not turn the ignition (ignition switch stuck in 'lock' stage).

I insert the existing working key, and the ignition is locked!!

Any idea what's going on here?

I wiggle the key in the switch for ~30 seconds, then all of a sudden it releases the lock and I can turn on the engine.

I'll just buy a new shell from Amazon/Ebay and have the dealer cut it. Wasted $7...
When you're trying the new key, do you have the electronics in it? If not, it won't start. Or at least you have to hold the old key (with the electronics) near the ignition.

When I got my key cut, it would turn the ignition, but it was just act like it wasn't getting any gas. But if I held the old key nearby, or put the electronics in the new shell, it would work.

Maybe they just need to run through the cut one more time. Might just be slightly off, especially since you say it doesn't look identical.

Last edited by Cacophony; 11-24-14 at 03:46 AM.
Old 11-24-14, 03:45 AM
Cacophony
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by iluvny
Yes, they wanted $100.00 (Smithtown)

I find it difficult to believe that any legitimate locksmith would charge $300 to cut a key. That's just crazy.

Edit: I just called my local locksmith and they charge $38.00
I called a few locksmiths and they were all around $200, I think.

They don't have storefronts anymore. They say they'll come to you and cut the key. I guess that's part of the service charge.

And my dealer wanted at least $50.

I just didn't wanna pay that much for a dumb key, since I already had the electronics.
Old 11-24-14, 09:33 AM
shumif1
Driver School Candidate

$65 for key and cut, any lexus dealer , i went to presige lexus in ramsey nj
Old 11-28-14, 11:24 AM
maorsela
Rookie

Originally Posted by Cacophony
When you're trying the new key, do you have the electronics in it? If not, it won't start. Or at least you have to hold the old key (with the electronics) near the ignition.
Yeah, i placed the remote inside the new shell. The key won't turn, and will cause the ignition switch get stuck.

I just ordered another shell from Amazon for $5, I'll just get it cut @ the dealer, they charge $25.
Old 12-01-14, 02:43 PM
jerwong
Driver School Candidate

Did you program the car to recognize the key? When I got mine, I had to go through a dance of lock, unlock, lock unlock, turn key, etc before the RX300 would accept the key.
Old 12-01-14, 02:59 PM
iluvny
Driver

Probably because you got new electronics with the new key.??

Most people in this thread are swapping the existing electronics over to the new key shell so no programming is necessary
Old 12-03-14, 02:28 PM
DewHawk
Driver School Candidate

I bought a shell key ($4 online) and switched the chip and then Lexus charged me $22 to cut. But, still much cheaper than a Lexus replacement key.
Old 12-03-14, 02:41 PM
Briand_OH
Driver

A BTDT, don't want to repeat, but my sister has a 99 RX-300 and a 2004 RX-330. I was driving the latter on mission for airport pickup. I had grabbed a "valet" key in addition to remote key fob. Upon coming out of local bank, I took the valet key and put it in the ignition, and it kinda turned, but not activating starter. Turned out valet key was for RX-300 and it would NOT come out of ignition. Much time and calls ensued and idiot brother hadn't paid AAA, so eventually (hours) a flat bed arrived to tow to dealer (no help on Lexus 800# or two Lexus dealers). Tow guy maintained he could't get onto truck because ignition lock was engaged and left me So....girlfriend drove me the ~40 mile round trip to pick up RX-300 to complete pickup. A local locksmith had idea to lube it with WD-40 (trip to my house) and eventually RX-300 valet key released from RX-330 ignition. Now keys are labeled!
Old 12-12-14, 08:27 AM
maorsela
Rookie

Originally Posted by maorsela
Yeah, i placed the remote inside the new shell. The key won't turn, and will cause the ignition switch get stuck.

I just ordered another shell from Amazon for $5, I'll just get it cut @ the dealer, they charge $25.
Got the $5 amazon key cut by Lexus for $25, worked right away. Learned my lesson with the amateurs from Ace Hardware...