RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Cracked key shell casing - help needed

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-14, 03:19 PM
Eternity Key
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacement key

Originally Posted by davidyal
So, I just broke my second (original) key shell. Plastic snapped right above the metal shaft.

Is there a consensus on the best way to get a new key for an RX300? I was going to go to the dealer and buy a blank key ($10), have them cut it ($25), and then witch out the electronics myself.

I've seen that you can order already cut keys. Has anyone tried that? Is it less expensive?

David
You will need to replace that key again. We have the solution to your problem. We have a stronger tougher key made out of military grade material, and comes with a lifetime warranty this shell will not break on you. Go to www.eternitykey.com click on the video tab and you will see what I mean. Go to your local Lexus dealer and ask for it by name Eternity Key
Old 04-16-14, 05:08 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Eternity Key
If you want a key that wont ever break on you go to your Lexus dealer and ask for our Eternity Key. It is a stronger tougher key made of military grade materials, and comes with a lifetime warranty. Go to www.eternitykey.com click on the video tab and you will see what I mean. Ask for it by name Eternity Key
Not sure if this is a bot, or not. But, there is no point in posting multiple times in the same thread. Especially when you ignore genuine questions about the cost of purchasing an "Eternity Key".

Must be overpriced JUNK!
Old 04-17-14, 07:21 AM
HadYurPhil
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank you.

I've used 1010keys a few times. No problems and reasonable prices.
Old 05-02-14, 02:46 PM
Raoul
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

^ ^ ^
Ordered Wednesday, arrived today.
Very pleased.
Old 05-09-14, 01:16 PM
jimbug
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

A temporary fix for a broken key (cracked case) I discovered this week is Magic Wrap (Lowe's). I had used a similar silicone tape to repair a plumbing leak recently and thought I would try it on my cracked key. I went to lock the trunk so I could use the valet key while valet parking at the hospital and it cracked pretty badly. I put it in my pocket and continued to use the valet key.

When I got home I used the clear silicone tape I had purchased from Duluth Trading and it worked great to hold key together. It looked bad on the black key, so I bought some black Magic Wrap silicone tape at Lowe's yesterday and used it after cutting the clear tape off. It looks much better.

The silicone tape has no adhesive. It sticks to itself and it stretches 300%, so the trick is to hold it down and stretch it tightly around until it touches itself. Several wraps getting tighter as you get near the metal key does the trick. Trim off any excess with small sharp scissors.

Last edited by jimbug; 05-09-14 at 01:57 PM.
Old 05-12-14, 12:07 PM
Eternity Key
Former Sponsor

Default Broken Key Problem Solved!

The Eternity Key is the answer to the broken key issues that continue to plague Lexus owners.

Made with military grade materials in the U.S.A., the Eternity key is stronger than anything on the market today, and includes a lifetime warranty. It is available exclusively at participating Lexus dealers - so contact the dealer nearest you and ask for it by name. Accept no others, as your premium car deserves a premium key - and you deserve the peace of mind it brings.

Visit www.eternitykey.comto learn more about this new product.
Old 05-12-14, 05:46 PM
jimbug
Driver

Wish we knew how much they cost. Would I just take the remote out of the broken key and into a cut Eternity Key or would it need to be programmed to my RX300?
Old 05-13-14, 07:36 AM
Raoul
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jimbug
Wish we knew how much they cost. Would I just take the remote out of the broken key and into a cut Eternity Key or would it need to be programmed to my RX300?
If you have the little metal tab with your key code (5 digits) you can get two shells, precut.
The guts from your original key fit into the shell.
All you need is a small phillips screwdriver for the new shell(s).
1010.keys was $27(for two) including shipping and arrived in two days.
They could not find the key code on my order and e-mailed me 45 minutes after I placed my order.
As I stated above I was impressed with the speed and simplicity.
I too tried tape and patch workarounds but, the first time my wife experienced a 'no start' condition, I put this problem to bed.

The Eternity link is tied to Lexus dealerships. No doubt it is probably a superior product but would come with a Lexus price tag.
It took 12 years and 200,000 miles to crack the original shells.
In 24 years and 400,00 miles these replacements will be cracked too but, by then it won't be a car it will be a soup can (plural).

Last edited by Raoul; 05-13-14 at 07:49 AM.
Old 05-13-14, 08:18 AM
Raoul
Intermediate

If you don't have your (5 digit)key code, go to a Lexus dealer FIRST with your VIN and proof of ownership.
They will give you the key code, no charge.

If you order your shells WITHOUT the key code you will be sent uncut keys and then be running around trying to find a cheap cut or end up paying the stealership to cut them.

Now let's put this four page thread to bed for now and evermore.
Old 05-20-14, 12:44 PM
Eternity Key
Former Sponsor

jimbug, To find out how much our Eternity Key is you can go to our website www.eternitykey.com click on order/order now to get a list of dealers in your state. You can also contact us through our website if you have any questions. We would be happy to help you get our Eternity Key in your hands it will be the last key you ever have to buy.
Old 05-20-14, 01:41 PM
jimbug
Driver

I did get two Eternity Keys (precut remote shells) ordered from SewellParts.com and with Club Lexus discount they were $69.56 each plus shipping. Part # is 89070EKS and comes up as SHORT ETERNITY KEY C. I'll have one key for 2001 RX and one for 2002 RX. I love the idea of a Lexus key that will not break.

I'm really enjoying the new stronger Eternity key, and my daughter even commented on how much stronger it feels. We've both cracked OEM Lexus keys before just by doing what they were intended to do. I took remotes out of cracked keys to put them in the new Eternity Key precut shells. We're using taped up (see photo above) cracked keys as an extra key in case we lose the original while we're out. It will open the door and I can get Valet key out of glove box to start and drive.

Last edited by jimbug; 06-01-14 at 01:14 PM.
Old 05-30-14, 04:34 PM
Eternity Key
Former Sponsor

Your premium car deserves a premium replacement key... The Eternity Key has solved the problem of broken key fobs and can be found at 100+ Lexus Dealers across the USA and in Canada now. Never buy another replacement key again. Better material, quality and a lifetime warranty gives you peace of mind! www.EternityKey.com
Old 05-31-14, 10:02 PM
iloverx
Driver School Candidate

Got the same problem with broken shell. Bought new shell for remote on Amazon for about $6. Hope to get to local Lexus dealer to make them cut new on the budget. Will let you know if it worked and how much it will cost.
Old 06-28-14, 01:24 AM
wdb
Driver School Candidate

got the same problem now.

was searching for shells on the web and now got a question — how do you know which are OEM?

can someone post any pics of cover (with the logo). mine has lexus logo and some 'canada' text below.

I've also seen some Denso sticker versions or even just logo versions. not sure the latter are not chinese junk.

thx.
Old 06-28-14, 07:55 AM
trhs75
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Just a note about the EternityKey -- I don't have one; I bought 1010 keys which have served me well so far, but our local Lexus dealer sells the EternityKey, and I'm sure they wouldn't sell it if they weren't confident of the quality. I should have asked them what they charge.

Quick Reply: Cracked key shell casing - help needed